Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 07:56 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post

I think people should accept themselves, no matter their weight. It doesn't mean to stop striving for good health. But it also doesn't mean that you should loathe yourself if you're not where you want to be, either.

You have one life. If you spend time hating yourself, it's not a very good life.
What a great answer.

When I was growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, you didn't see such large numbers of overweight people as you do today. Look at old yearbooks or photos of crowds and there is a huge difference. Also, people who were overweight back then tended to be far less overweight than what you see on a regular basis now.

There was one girl in my high school who was teased for her weight. She was hardly overweight by today's standards. I also know a woman in her senior years who owned women's clothing stores. She said that the sizes back then didn't go up to what they go up to now. What's funny about that is that a size 10 back then was equivalent to a smaller size today.

Something changed and I don't know what it is - maybe a cumulative effect of lots of things like changes in the foods we eat and toxic chemicals in the environment I hate to see society say that it's all okay when it's clearly unhealthy.

However, that doesn't mean anyone should hate their body. That's an unhealthy mindset and it will effect their body negatively. A recent study told one group of women who worked as housekeepers that their job provided all the exercise they needed, and they told another group nothing. The group that was told their job provided adequate exercise actually lost weight! The mind affects the body.

You should love your body no matter what shape it's in and try to make changes to support better health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 08:03 PM

112 posts, read 112,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
It's getting worse, and it's going to get worse yet.

First, too many people refuse to look at the health aspect- increased risks for diabetes, heart problems, cancers, etc.- and insist on making it about appearance.

This is the most infuriating part of it to me. Our nation is suffering massively from chronic health issues and people are just ignoring the rising rates of it. Hell, the other day a fake story about chocolate causing weight loss starting circulating. Really? And it's so easy to avoid all these health issues, and in some cases even reverse them with a fixing up of diet and exercise.

Nope. People don't want to be triggered with oppression when you think about the good of people.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:05 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I'm pretty over fat-shaming. I didn't care for it when I was morbidly obese, nor after losing 140 lbs (on my own), and now I'm fat again. I'm still working on losing weight from my recent pregnancy and the weight I put on from hypothyroidism. I don't feel great about carrying around the extra weight. It sucks. I felt awesome and looked effing fantastic before, and I'm working on getting back to that, but the postpartum period always makes it rough. The same things that worked for me before did not work for me this time, and there's only so much of what I did then that I can do now while nursing. But any progress is good progress.

Still, ridicule and disparaging comments are unnecessary. What many fail to realize is that obesity, its causes, rarely boil down to eating 10 cheeseburgers and 10 milk shakes a day. It doesn't work like that, and much of the issues revolve around the SAD, and foods we're told are "good" for us. And the advice to "get active, move around, stop being lazy" is so basic and simple-minded that it makes me laugh at how ridiculous it is. There's so much involved in fat loss, many hormones at play, that it is never as simple as "don't eat the bacon and go for a run!" I didn't do a lick of exercise until I lost 100 lbs, and then I only did it to strengthen my muscles and tone up. I didn't begin the regimen to lose fat.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not slender is NOT my definition of fat.

Fat is fat.
And it always comes with 80000000 excuses.

My friend has MS, low thyroid, and still is svelte.
My friend has lupus eating her kidneys and skin and still works out and looks great.
My SIL has no thyroid and has almost no body fat.
One had breast cancer.
One is always on steroids for her transplant.
All in their 40s/50s. All but two with kids, jobs, etc.
Crossfitter hot mama has a teen, a newborn, AND is the breadwinner in her family.
It is a priority.

If it is not some other person's priority (man or woman), just own it. Own that you don't care enough.
That is what gets me. All the excuses.
I don't buy most of what you claim.

And these "folks" ... they're on medication for hypothyroidism, correct? Weight loss may be less of an issue once TSH hormone levels have normalized. Keyword: normalized.

I don't care enough to be a "hot crossfit mama." Nope. And I own it. I do care about being at a comfortable size and weight and being healthy, but healthy doesn't equate to being "thin." I have no desire to be thin. Just like I have no desire to learn calculus. Could it increase my math proficiency and overall smarts? Sure. It could open a variety of doors for me, but I have no interest in that. And I take issue with the idiocy displayed by most people. I'm a cheerleader for smarts, but not everyone needs a genius level IQ.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:31 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
I think this was inevitable given that approximately 33% of USA pop is overweight, 33% is obese, and 33% is "healthy weight."

I was talking to a male (overweight) friend about "Joan" on Mad Men. He said how sexy she was. I pointed out that she was an unrealistic character because she would have been considered "fat" back then no matter what her proportions.

He said he didn't think so and that the "push to be thin" didn't start until recently.

I feel like i have a somewhat unique perspective here being in my 30s and raised by a white "WASPy" woman in her early 90s. Whenever i would get pudgy, she would tell me so and feed me a little less. This seems to be the norm throughout history until recently- that moms kept their kids "in line" about a healthy weight, meaning not too fat OR too thin.

I think "the movement" comes out of: 1. parents coddling their kids, 2. American's trend towards obesity 3.Non-European immigrants not sharing/passing down the "older American's values" of keeping slim. (Incidentally, i think that racism will probably die off the same way.)

I don't really have an opinion of "the movement" in general. I don't think it's hurting anyone. Stats show that we are more overweight/obese today than 1960 and yet not dying of heart attacks as much so who knows . . . .

Old 05-31-2015, 01:12 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I'm pretty over fat-shaming. I didn't care for it when I was morbidly obese, nor after losing 140 lbs (on my own), and now I'm fat again. I'm still working on losing weight from my recent pregnancy and the weight I put on from hypothyroidism. I don't feel great about carrying around the extra weight. It sucks. I felt awesome and looked effing fantastic before, and I'm working on getting back to that, but the postpartum period always makes it rough. The same things that worked for me before did not work for me this time, and there's only so much of what I did then that I can do now while nursing. But any progress is good progress.

Still, ridicule and disparaging comments are unnecessary. What many fail to realize is that obesity, its causes, rarely boil down to eating 10 cheeseburgers and 10 milk shakes a day. It doesn't work like that, and much of the issues revolve around the SAD, and foods we're told are "good" for us. And the advice to "get active, move around, stop being lazy" is so basic and simple-minded that it makes me laugh at how ridiculous it is. There's so much involved in fat loss, many hormones at play, that it is never as simple as "don't eat the bacon and go for a run!" I didn't do a lick of exercise until I lost 100 lbs, and then I only did it to strengthen my muscles and tone up. I didn't begin the regimen to lose fat.
Obesity isn't about eating 10 cheeseburgers and 10 milkshakes a day. It's about eating one cheeseburger a day, maybe some fries and perhaps some candy -- and then indulging a bit more on the weekends with a desert or two. That's an unreasonable diet that leads to being overweight.

Many Americans are clueless about what constitutes a healthy diet, and that's why 66 percent of us are overweight. The majority of ones diet should be lean proteins and vegetables .. a bit of fruit and whole grains. People who eat like that 80 percent of the time aren't overweight.

Also, let's put to rest the myth that you can outrun your fork. Weight control is about diet, not exercise. Exercise is great for fitness, and should be recommended for everyone, but you're never going to be able to work off a daily cheeseburger and fries. You'd have to run for two hours a day to burn those calories. Very few people have time for that.

I'm not into fat shaming. I don't dislike fat people. I do feel like I live in a land where 66 percent of its people are extremely unhealthy and ignorant about good nutrition. It would be as if everyone smoked two packs a day -- even the children. I'm constantly thinking WTF??? when I look at the foods that are on display and consumed on a regular basis. It leads to disease and death. I wish we'd cut it out.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:15 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
It's not okay to make people feel bad about themselves. That doesn't cause change to happen. Everyone should love themselves enough to want to be healthy, though, and when you're obese you're putting massive strain on your heart as well as other vital organs and even your joints. That's not loving yourself. It's pretty much the opposite.
Well said.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:23 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Obesity is sadly becoming normal, but that doesn't mean they should toot their horn about it and feel comfortable with it because everyone else is obese or overweight. I'll bet they look at people larger than themselves and honestly think "glad I'm not that large".

Toot all the horns when people become more conscious of losing weight for health and happiness. I am not obese, but I AM overweight and I can't STAND looking in the mirror and I hate getting on the scale.

Let's all face it! Obese people are honestly NOT happy with themselves, no matter how much they say they are.

I, myself, am generally a happy person but I'm NOT happy with my body.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Obesity isn't about eating 10 cheeseburgers and 10 milkshakes a day. It's about eating one cheeseburger a day, maybe some fries and perhaps some candy -- and then indulging a bit more on the weekends with a desert or two. That's an unreasonable diet that leads to being overweight.

Many Americans are clueless about what constitutes a healthy diet, and that's why 66 percent of us are overweight. The majority of ones diet should be lean proteins and vegetables .. a bit of fruit and whole grains. People who eat like that 80 percent of the time aren't overweight.

Also, let's put to rest the myth that you can outrun your fork. Weight control is about diet, not exercise. Exercise is great for fitness, and should be recommended for everyone, but you're never going to be able to work off a daily cheeseburger and fries. You'd have to run for two hours a day to burn those calories. Very few people have time for that.

I'm not into fat shaming. I don't dislike fat people. I do feel like I live in a land where 66 percent of its people are extremely unhealthy and ignorant about good nutrition. It would be as if everyone smoked two packs a day -- even the children. I'm constantly thinking WTF??? when I look at the foods that are on display and consumed on a regular basis. It leads to disease and death. I wish we'd cut it out.
I can't agree with your claims about what's "healthy eating." I lost a sh*t-ton of weight, and it wasn't from eating "lean protein and whole grains." I lol at whole grains. No thanks on that.

At one time I ate a cheeseburger with bacon and avocado... in a bowl + other deliciously high fat foods, regularly (Five Guys), and had no problem losing weight. It isn't the damn burger. Now, fries, and foods that induce a high blood glucose response and insulin spike, yep. High insulin spike signals fat storage. When I was morbidly obese I wasn't eating a cheeseburger, fries and candy bar a day. During the bulk of those years I was eating low fat and "whole grains" and other "healthy" foods, and guess what, I was still fat. I even did Weight Watchers and still couldn't lose more than 25 lbs without a struggle and keep it off, but when I tossed all of that CW aside the fat melted off without any sort of struggle, and I didn't need discipline or willpower to do it. I was armed with the tools and current, usable, reliable data.

At some of my best shape, I was able to eat 2100-2300+ calories with 150g+ fat w/moderate protein, as maintenance, and still lose 7 lbs in a month. But I wasn't eating fries, or sugar or "whole grains," either. I was eating lots of fat, moderate protein and low glycemic index fruits and lots of green veggies.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:01 AM

414 posts, read 296,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeMamma View Post
if you are fat you can challenge yourself not to be. can't hurt

different kinds of fat out there. if morbidly obese or beyond imo try not to be. in this day and age obese (bmi of 30 or higher) is fairly commonplace, somewhat acceptable, and even healthy in the lowest ranges for some individuals. so if morbidly obese at least try to get there, if nothing else. but they call it morbid and in some cases malignant obesity for a reason, and none of those reasons are good, really
As an aside, a trainer at my gym measured his own BMI to make a point. According to the chart, he was borderline morbidly obese despite having a fat content of around 7%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty