Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:28 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,852,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I went to that site I expected to see a pretty, but slightly overweight woman, but I was shocked to see a grossly overweight woman with ugly tatoos all over her.

Nothing attractive about her in the least. There are some very beautiful women who are heavy, but she ain't one of them !

Don
Yeah I was also shocked. I find her absolutely disgusting. Not so much because she is the size of a buffalo but it is a combination of her weight with the billboard sized nasty tattoos.

Some size doesn't bother me but be carelessly fat is a definitely not attractive at all. I find any tattoos on a woman that are any larger than about a quarter to be extremely unattractive. She combines both so to me she is nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 09:02 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,800,688 times
I think she's awesome. She's not really worried so much about what the critics say. She's not glorifying obesity. She's just being who she is. And that's all anyone can be.

I don't judge the "skinny" models, either, though. They are who they are. It has no bearing on me personally. Only people with no sense of self would look at a model and think, "I should be JUST LIKE them!"

Old 05-17-2015, 09:03 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo2020 View Post
She is happy that count
She cannot be happy. People stare at you, not because you are pretty but because you are fat. You can't fit in some places. You can't fit in a movie theatre seat or a regular airplane seat to name a few things. If she has a kid, she can't possible run and play with him properly--don't think she could fit down a sliding board or swing on a swing with the child.

She cannot possible reach in some places on her body to have proper hygiene. With folds of fat it produces skin fungi.

Oh I am certain she is happy in some areas of her life, but it has to be hell in other areas.

Last edited by GiGi603; 05-17-2015 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-17-2015, 09:37 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,583,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
in my opinion, she is no different than an anorexic model, just the opposite end of the spectrum. The woman is not just obese, she's morbidly obese. The fact that she is a model doesn't make that any better. I don't find anything remotely appealing about her. But hey....it's not my body and not my eventual bad health. If she likes it, so be it.
I have to agree with you. Neither end of the extremes is good. Let's split the difference and use size 12-16 models. Skip the too skinny ones and the ones who are too heavy for their own health. Neither is something to aspire to.

If memory serves me correctly, size 12 is the most common size in the US with 14 being next. Companies really should be using models that show what clothes will look like on US not twiggy or someone who is a size 22. Both are too far from the norm.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:24 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Healthy or not, women are that size - and larger - and deserve to see clothing in their sizes modeled by women who wear those sizes.
On the other hand, women who wear standard sized clothing don't see someone who is a size 10 wearing the clothes they buy either.

Modelling is aspirational - it's shown on women who look great in it, even if the average standard sized woman isn't going to look as good.

I do think it's nuts that a typical plus sized model is a 12, which isn't even a plus size. But if size 0 models are showing the clothing that a real life size 12 woman wears, I guess having a size 12 woman model the clothing a size 22 woman wears seems reasonable in comparison.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:17 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,963,881 times
I think it's a good thing that there is an opportunity for plus-sized women to see what an outfit will look like on a plus-sized model. Traditionally, plus-sized models have been rather voluptuous size 12-14's and the outfits on them will look very different on a size 22.

What I don't care for is the many tattoos....I think they will take attention away from any outfit she is wearing. Even runway models looks are downplayed so the outfit commands the most attention. I'm not anti-tattoo but you can't deny that she has a LOT of them and they are placed very prominently.

She does have a very pretty face and nice hair.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:39 PM

22,509 posts, read 12,055,173 times
I, for one, don't believe that she is a size 22. After I had my daughter, I was in a size 22 for a while. When I look at photos of myself from that time and compare them to her, there's no way she's a 22. I'm about her height and big boned and looked much thinner than that. Thankfully, these days, while I still have a way to go, I'm much thinner. I think she needs to be honest about her actual size. Why does she have a problem admitting that she is bigger than what she claims?

I, too, find her tats to be very distracting and not at all attractive. In fact, the tats have the effect of drawing one's eyes to them rather than the outfits she is wearing, IMO.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:47 PM

17,154 posts, read 12,993,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
On the verge?
+1. Not only that, I can't stand the term "plus sized." People aren't algebraic equations. She's fat. Not curvy, voluptuous, bootylicious, a "woman of size," chunky, hefty, portly, or any of those ridiculous terms. She is very fat to an unhealthy degree. The fact that other models are anorexically skinny doesn't justify her being morbidly obese. Since we're on the subject of math, let's recall that two wrongs don't make a right.

Anorexic models are not good or healthy (role) models +
Morbidly obese models are the opposite of the anorexic, unhealthy (role) models does NOT =
morbidly obese models are healthy/attractive (role) models for women to emulate.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:58 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,800,688 times
Who considers models "role models?" I don't. They're human clothes hangers.

Tess calls herself "fat." I don't think she's trying to convince anyone that she's not fat. She exists the way she exists. Just because she's making money as a model doesn't mean she is recommending that other people emulate her. That's the way I see it, anyway. She's certainly not saying, "Being fat is SO much better than NOT being fat." She is simply modeling clothing for a size of person who hasn't really been considered until now. She doesn't deserve the hatred that she gets from online trolls, that's for sure. Some of the comments posted on her page are just downright evil. It's pretty sad.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:28 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,335,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I totally agree with you, but I dont think that she should be put out there as someone to be celebrated. We need to be promoting healthy lifestyles and body images for our youth, NOT "be happy with however you are". It should be "strive to be happy, healthy and fit" not "oh look, an obese model" it totally sends the wrong message to everyone out there in the world except for the obese people like her.
Well, that's nice, but how do you propose to serve the market without putting a pretty outfit on a model and having her look beautiful and happy? Is that too much celebration for you, or should the models look grumpy and wear sackcloth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I do think it's nuts that a typical plus sized model is a 12, which isn't even a plus size. But if size 0 models are showing the clothing that a real life size 12 woman wears, I guess having a size 12 woman model the clothing a size 22 woman wears seems reasonable in comparison.
Well, then, it sounds like the whole industry is effed up. What shall we do about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
+1. Not only that, I can't stand the term "plus sized." People aren't algebraic equations.
Junior sizes aren't "juniors", either, and not everyone wearing Misses sizes are "misses". It would be nice just to have the size numbers and get rid of the labels, but unless the entire fashion industry is overhauled, that may never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty