Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 09:17 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,664,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There have been threads about her before, and every time they post a pic, she's more obese than before. She's now on the verge of morbidly obese. The tatoos don't help her image, either.

On the verge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 12:56 PM

17,626 posts, read 39,385,049 times
Eh, whatever. The Miss Piggy tats are what gross me out.....

Old 05-16-2015, 02:07 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,047,762 times
I would love to see models in a larger range of sizes, all the way across the board. I'm not overweight, but I rarely see models who are my size. You see the very thin regular models, then the plus-size models...but no 6s or 8s with athletic or curvy body types? For me, it's not about unrealistic beauty standards and what have you...I just like ordering clothes online, and it would make it easier if some of the models looked a little more like me so I could see what the clothes will actually look like when I wear them! So yes, in my opinion, it only makes sense for plus-sized women to model plus-sized clothing. And "plus size" isn't a size, it's a range of sizes, so there should be plus-size models of different sizes, too.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:20 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,935,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLexi25 View Post
Sorry but she is no better than anorexic models, both promote unhealthy standards. I am glad that she is comfortable in her own skin but obese/fat is not healthy and shouldn't be celebrated.
Oh, boy! I thought I was going to click on the link and see a toned size 12 but nope. Sorry obesity is not something to idolize! Moderation is a very difficult concept for Americans, clearly.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:25 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,047,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Oh, boy! I thought I was going to click on the link and see a toned size 12 but nope. Sorry obesity is not something to idolize! Moderation is a very difficult concept for Americans, clearly.
I don't think the idea is to idolize her weight, but to see a woman who is self-confident, even though she does not look like she's "supposed" to. I highly doubt people see this woman and think, "WOW! I should start eating more so I can look like THAT!" But, I think there are a lot of people who can learn something from her confidence.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:40 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,935,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I don't think the idea is to idolize her weight, but to see a woman who is self-confident, even though she does not look like she's "supposed" to. I highly doubt people see this woman and think, "WOW! I should start eating more so I can look like THAT!" But, I think there are a lot of people who can learn something from her confidence.
Point taken.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:48 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,892,512 times
I never considered models to exist for celebration of a particular body style. I thought they were to sell fashion. There are plenty of overweight women in the world and they should have stylish fashion to wear and plus size models to show it off for them. My mother gets plus size catalogs in the mail and all the clothes is on size 10-12 women. Now, to some size 2 waif, that might be huge... but their body shapes are nothing like obese.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:19 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I never considered models to exist for celebration of a particular body style. I thought they were to sell fashion. There are plenty of overweight women in the world and they should have stylish fashion to wear and plus size models to show it off for them. My mother gets plus size catalogs in the mail and all the clothes is on size 10-12 women. Now, to some size 2 waif, that might be huge... but their body shapes are nothing like obese.
This times 1000.

However, even the plus sized models themselves represent a small percentage of society. Most of the best and most prolific ones are tall just like the skinny/regular models and a lot of them are busty, hippy and leggy. Very few are barrel chested and apple shaped like a lot of plus sized women are. But any way, some has to model for large women clothing, might as well be this lady. Her success or existence shouldn't be measured by how many guys would say they find her attractive, but how many companies want to use her to model their wares.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:29 PM

102,457 posts, read 108,880,609 times
A German teacher I had in highschool said that in Germany, plus-size mannequins in the women's clothing stores were a normal thing, along with regular-sized ones. She was there back in the 70's and 80's. I don't know if the stores still do that, but back then, there was no stigma in Germany to being overweight. A plump, "zaftig" figure was preferred by a lot of men. More padding in the right places. Those traditional village costumes emphasize the bust.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:22 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,053,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
I'm sure I'll get flack for this but I think it should be said: All these "skinny as rails" models is a gay man thing. Go up to any straight male and show him a picture of these anorexic "models" and ask if they find them attractive I'll bet my life savings you won't (unless you get the extremely rare guy that has some sort of fetish). It's really absurd to me that the fashion industry isn't run and dominated by women, who, IMO are the only ones qualified to actually set up and organize this kind of industry.

Even though sure women being skinny has always been popular this whole "Get models with the bodies of little boys" is completely a homosexual male desire. Again, please, find me a straight man that actually watches them and gets all hot and bothered over it, I dare you.

In contrast look at Playboy mags (not that I ever really look at them but I know what kind of women they have), they're usually quite busty, look to be in great shape, certainly quite fit etc.

Sorry, but it just bugs me that women actually think men, or straight men I should say actually likes this **** when the whole body of boy is something gay men fawn over, so don't blame men as a whole because we certainly aren't interested.
If you think gay men are attracted to women with boyish bodies, you need to look up the definition of homosexual in the dictionary. Read it and learn. (HINT: Gay men are attracted to other men. Otherwise they would be attracted to women, and therefore be called STRAIGHT). Now that was easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty