Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 05:00 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
The Hand-On-Hip Pose: An Anthropological Study

Hehe, just learned that the one-hand-on-the-hip is the "I'm a Little Teapot" pose and it started at red carpet events.
Interesting article, especially that the author included photos showing when this pose caught on.

Here's another interesting article, and some quotes from it that stood out to me.
Unshakeable Hope: Why do girls put their hands on their hips in every photo?
"I really would like to know why girls today are under the impression that the only valid picture is the one taken with a stomach sucked in tight, a head tilted, and a hand on the hip. What happened to just being oneself? Why do young women feel compelled to conform to a particular pose, no matter the occasion, in order to take a proper picture? Why are all pictures nearly identical when the people in them are so different?"

"There's something about the whole pose that cries, "Here I am, everybody!" But the beauty of beauty is that it is silently, yet powerfully, calling another to rejoice. Beauty isn't about neon lights and loud noises that tell us to stop and look. Beauty is about something so intriguing, so surprising, that we can't help but stop, look and rejoice. Authentic beauty doesn't require an announcement."

In googling, I've learned that I am not alone in wondering about this, or in thinking, "Enough already! You all look silly, with your Sassy Arm Triangle of Insecurity. Or are you just trying to air out your armpits?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 05:36 PM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times
See, all good.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
In googling, I've learned that I am not alone in wondering about this, or in thinking, "Enough already! You all look silly, with your Sassy Arm Triangle of Insecurity. Or are you just trying to air out your armpits?"
Lol
I read this article a while back after noticing teens and 20somethings doing it. It's Time to Stop Posing Like Chickens

Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
See, all good.
Nice pic. Of course, there's still a female element. Men wouldn't stand that close to each other.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:01 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Thanks for reminding me of this great Dean Martin song ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx0ekVnQEn8

To OP, I gather it's primarily done to project confidence / strength much like the leadership pose of men (same stance) but the pose doesn't always work and with women (more so than men) it tends (depending on the context of image and surroundings) to lead to perceptions of being 'combative, a la, a mother bear raising hackles in defense of brood type perception. Or conjure up images of mother's reprimanding children.
hahahah I did the same the sway and the pram push up and down to get them to sleep..hard to lose it...

Old 03-13-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
Lol
I read this article a while back after noticing teens and 20somethings doing it. It's Time to Stop Posing Like Chickens
Posing like chickens! LOL!

Ok, now I've learned how and when the trend started (on the red carpet around 2006-7), that many people agree that it looks silly/pompous/ridiculous, and I am guessing it will eventually die out as people start feeling embarrassed when they see themselves over and over and over in the chicken/teapot/triangular arm pose.

I'm satisfied. But y'all are certainly free to continue poking fun.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:48 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
kayanne,
When you posted your original post, did you mean the one hand on the hip pose, or the both hands on the hips pose? I was just wondering because it seemed like most people were commenting on the one hand on one hip thing. I find them both annoying, but I just wondered which you meant initially.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
kayanne,
When you posted your original post, did you mean the one hand on the hip pose, or the both hands on the hips pose? I was just wondering because it seemed like most people were commenting on the one hand on one hip thing. I find them both annoying, but I just wondered which you meant initially.
One hand. I haven't seen the two hand pose. Sounds like Wonder Woman.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:26 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Quote:
One hand. I haven't seen the two hand pose. Sounds like Wonder Woman.
Yes, that's my nickname for it. In my first response to you, I was assuming you meant both hands on hips, and that's why I posted the thing about the fashion makeover shows on TV. They always pose the "after" person with both hands on hips and feet apart. I've started to notice that on facebook now too.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:56 PM

40 posts, read 72,013 times
Quote:
I don't know what context you are thinking of, in which men can "get away with more." But I do know if I suddenly started seeing tons of photos in which men are posing, for example, in the "muscle man stance," I'd be wondering how in the world such a silly look caught on, just as I am wondering about the "I'm a Little Teapot" pose.
When I say men can get away with a lot more I mean in their mannerisms (and of course other things, but in this context we're talking about poses and things like that). A lot of men stand in pictures with their hands in their pockets or arms crossed or their arm around someone else. No one says much about how men pose. Women can't really get away with those poses of hands in pocket or arms crossed and they don't always want to put their arms around someone. Sometimes it's just another option for us. Do we always need to stand arms down at our side?
Women are expected to look a certain way, do things a certain way, and get picked apart more often for the choices we make. Happens all the time and it's frustrating to see that. I don't think anyone can really argue that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty