Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:47 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,255,023 times

Advertisements

I blame the Kardashians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 01:11 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,309,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I have never allowed a photographer or anyone else to physically touch me let alone to pose me so I cannot relate.
I deactivated facebook years ago and don't miss it, don't involve myself in any other social media, don't watch television or movies, don't read the gossip magazines or articles and don't read the news.

Hence the reason I offered the opinion I did and I'm not that nice, I would post my opnion about a photo like that.
This is social media..

Old 03-12-2015, 01:22 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,934,126 times
The Hand-On-Hip Pose: An Anthropological Study

Hehe, just learned that the one-hand-on-the-hip is the "I'm a Little Teapot" pose and it started at red carpet events.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:43 PM

6,717 posts, read 5,961,733 times
It just looks feminine to me. Not silly, not superficial.

I'm against shaming women into stripping all femininity out of their behavior. Men and women tend to walk, move, and talk differently. It's natural.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:14 PM

40 posts, read 72,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

I'm against shaming women into stripping all femininity out of their behavior. Men and women tend to walk, move, and talk differently. It's natural.
I agree! Men can get a away with a lot more. The ones I think that have the most problems with what women do are other women.
I mentioned in my post above that I did it because I didn't know what to do with my hands and I wasn't real happy about being in the pictures. However, others may think I'm trying to be something else and that is an unfair assumption. And even if a woman is doing it for other reasons, so what? That's her choice (unless someone is posing her.) Why can't women just be women like men can be men without being judged or ridiculed?

On a side note, if you think about how women of the past were always expected to be proper and act how everyone wanted them to, it was limiting in how they could express themselves. They couldn't be silly or pose other than what was acceptable in pictures. Maybe the hand on hip pose started as a way of showing confidence and feeling empowered as a woman. Maybe now when we do it, it comes as a natural instinct to show that. Just a thought.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:24 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Perhaps it is a natural gesture on their part, I tend to sway while standing in the checkout line which comes natural to me because I used to stand and sway my babies (when they were babies) and put them to sleep.
My youngest baby is 28 and I still do it but I do stop when I realize I am doing the sway in line.
Hahaha, my sister and I, both in our fifties, were just talking about how we still do the "mommy rock" when standing on line somewhere.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:17 PM

12,069 posts, read 8,469,899 times
There's a beach bar where I vacation that's always full of twenty and thirty-somethings all lounging around in exaggerated poses. Cracks me up.

Hey! Here's sun and sand and surf and you're posing? Hah.

I'm mystified. Daughter says, "Trust fund babies." Looks like too much work to be fun for me.

DH insists on natural looking pictures because he says that that's when you catch people at their most real. He stealth snaps.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:35 PM

6,404 posts, read 6,299,114 times
I haven't noticed this trend at all. I posed like this a lot under 10. Maybe just another indication of today's youth staying "kids" forever?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:41 PM

6,493 posts, read 6,703,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

I'm not "shaming women" and I'm certainly not "stripping all femininity." I've lived a good many decades, and only saw this pose start showing up everywhere a couple of years ago. I think femininity has been around a lot longer than this pose.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:45 PM

6,493 posts, read 6,703,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciBeaucoup View Post
I agree! Men can get a away with a lot more. The ones I think that have the most problems with what women do are other women.
I don't know what context you are thinking of, in which men can "get away with more." But I do know if I suddenly started seeing tons of photos in which men are posing, for example, in the "muscle man stance," I'd be wondering how in the world such a silly look caught on, just as I am wondering about the "I'm a Little Teapot" pose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty