Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 11:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Tattoos!

They're ugly.

I don't who they're on, where they are or what they're of.

They are ugly.
I agree.......most are unsightly.

The thing is they are likely permanent.

It will look worst as things drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 11:17 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Camo was what I was thinking about, sick of that crap. People do as they do, the only thing that really matters is if on looks good to oneself, that said, I'm not pulling out my guages anytime soon.
Camo is the main way people dress in our area.

We live way out in the sticks.......LOL.......LOL.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:18 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,323,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I believe we spent an entire thread a few months ago trying to explain this concept to you {layering?} . Let's not re-hash it.
Oh, I'm well aware, and hopefully I'm communicating clearly that I'm being cool about my stance, not mean or ugly etc. But since someone ASKED about fashion trends you wish would go away, I couldn't resist.

But yes, that particular trend is one that, while I've noticed it for awhile, it does seem more common in recent years. Yes, I admit it, as a guy, I like the sight of an attractive woman, not saying I bother or pester her, but just that I appreciate the sight. To that end, those "shawls" (is that what they're called?) just sort of spoil what would otherwise be a lovely sight, sort of like if you're a fan of vintage cars and you see a classic '65 Mustang or '57 Chevrolet on display but they've put a cover over it and you can't actually appreciate the classic beauty. On the other hand, if the dress is short-sleeved anyway, then I just don't notice, she almost might as well just be a guy.

And yes, I know, the women who are doing it have every right to do that, and do not exist for my viewing pleasure, I'm well aware and it's cool. I'm just commenting on the thread on-topic (I hope) and also, I hope, being respectful and easy-going about it.

Besides, once it gets 95'F, then typically off come the shawls anyway.

Also, I agree about camouflage and tattoos, I'm not a fan of either. To me, the female form is the most beautiful sight, and tattoos spoil it, sort of like putting graffiti on the Grand Canyon.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:32 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,934,577 times
I recently travelled back to the U.S. and spent some time at two international airports--a treasure trove of people wearing their trendiest gear. Here are some looks that I don't particularly like:

- I agree with KathrynAragon---Ugg boots. Uuuugh!
- Big (6'+ and +300lbs) guys wearing those long basketball shorts and an oversized (even for them) t-shirt or sports jersey and flip flops or shower shoes with white socks. I realize that this may be the only clothes they have that fit, but why not invest in some good looking Big/Tall store men's clothes? If you cannot afford it, I get that....but if you can, then? I've seen some big guys look really sharp in good fitting suits, dress shirts, good shoes, etc.
- Mussed up/knarled up hair on young women--you know, that rat's nest look scrunched up in a clip or scrunchee? That "just out of bed" look? At first I thought it was kind of cute (carefree), but now...it just looks sloppy, and too many people are doing it.
- Shaved head/goat-tee on guys--with some kind of neck tattoo/behind the ear tat. Boring.
- Elongated, pointy-toe (elf) dress shoes on guys. Looked ridiculous when it started--and it still does.
- Many have mentioned leggings as pants--I agree. But I do think they look OK with a long tunic-style blouse where the blouse hem falls at the knee, or just above the knee caps. The right shoes make a difference, too (like flats/ballerina style). But NOT with tennis shoes!
- Capri length pants are just not flattering on most women. Again, no tennis shoes with capris!
- Baggy pants with boxer shorts/butt showing---just ick.
- Scrubs in public. C'mon, even if you're a health-care professional, surely you have time to change before you go/come home from work?
- Yes...the beards have to go. Never been a fan of that look, and never will.
- I am slowly but surely getting tired of the woolen scarf (tied a certain way) on every preppy gal/guy out there. If you're wearing the scarf for warmth in a cold climate (outside!), that's different. But I've seen this scarf thing indoors in a 75 degree room.
- Cell phones on display everywhere. Yeah, I know it's not clothes/shoes, but it's an uber-trendy thing that has turned more into a fashion accessory as much as it is a tech gadget. Sometimes I get the urge (esp. in a restaurant or cafe) to do that sweep everything off the table move when I see a group of people dining together, and they're all glancing down at their cell phones! I do not take my cell phone out of my purse when I am dining/visiting with others. Unless it's an emergency, I think it's rude to constantly be looking at your phone when you're with other people. Alone---OK, but with others, nope.
- Price tags hanging off baseball caps. Actually, I can't even stand baseball caps unless you're actually on a ball field playing baseball.
- Cewpie doll hairstyles on guys---you know that swept up in the front thing they do with gel? OLD!
- Fringe/bangs combed straight down on a guy's forehead (often with gel to make them stiff as a board). It's right up there with the cewpie doll thing.
- Dreadlocks, especially on white people. I can only barely tolerate it on black people, but at least it looks more natural. The "Side Show Bob" look is just awful.
- Over-sized handbags (yes, it looks like luggage) with big buckles, sparkles, and bling all over it. Old.
- Fake, salon-done fingernails with glitter, embedded rhinestones, reverse French manicure (in all colors now), etc. Just too gawdy for my taste, and some of the nail jobs I've seen are just plain ugly.
- The Kim Kardashian make-up look. I don't think I have to describe it---y'all know it.

But don't get me wrong! I love people, and in my heart of hearts, I don't really care what people wear as long as they like it. The above is just my own personal taste. I try not worry about others' preferences in the day-in-day-out!

Old 01-31-2015, 12:34 PM

185 posts, read 185,077 times
Jeggings. I hate them on everyone. I hate the name. I have caused myself to suffer by thinking of them long enough to write this,lol.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:37 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,691,837 times
Yoga pants, yoga pants, YOGA PANTS!

Old 01-31-2015, 04:40 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,674,657 times
I do agree about the oversized handbags, likes like luggage - unflattering. It also can just make a woman, overall, look a lot bigger which I don't think is a look anyone wants. I have a small size purse and it's so much nicer. Women that think they can't have a small purse then keep a tote with other things you may need but are not essentials.

I can't stand seeing the women anchors wearing sleeveless shirts and dresses in the winter. Just find it so irritating ! The weekend morning shows especially - they're talking about freezing temps and some of the shows (studios) you can see it's snowing outside and the anchor is wearing a sleeveless top/dress - stop it ! Besides it's just not a polished look, doesn't look neat and professional.

OP - Great Thread !

Old 01-31-2015, 04:58 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,415,796 times
I hate the stacked back bob haircut. To me it looks really stupid. I feel like asking those women…are you coming or going? They remind me of a duck's butt feathers but more chopped.

Capris…again make up your mind…shorts or pants.

Maxi dresses….they look like pajamas.

Baseball caps when not playing a game.

Goatees.

Those big black framed glasses that turn pretty into ugly.

Small tight suits on men.

Skinny jeans on guys.

Name brand anything for the sake of the "name brand"…get over it.

Pretty much all trends. Wear what you like and don't worry about what is in or out.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:03 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,658,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I do agree about the oversized handbags, likes like luggage - unflattering. It also can just make a woman, overall, look a lot bigger which I don't think is a look anyone wants. I have a small size purse and it's so much nicer. Women that think they can't have a small purse then keep a tote with other things you may need but are not essentials.

I can't stand seeing the women anchors wearing sleeveless shirts and dresses in the winter. Just find it so irritating ! The weekend morning shows especially - they're talking about freezing temps and some of the shows (studios) you can see it's snowing outside and the anchor is wearing a sleeveless top/dress - stop it ! Besides it's just not a polished look, doesn't look neat and professional.

OP - Great Thread !
Yep sleeveless dresses and no stockings, in the middle of Winter. I asked if this is a trend in offices, but nobody responded.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:38 PM

301 posts, read 824,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I recently travelled back to the U.S. and spent some time at two international airports--a treasure trove of people wearing their trendiest gear. Here are some looks that I don't particularly like:

- I agree with KathrynAragon---Ugg boots. Uuuugh!
- Big (6'+ and +300lbs) guys wearing those long basketball shorts and an oversized (even for them) t-shirt or sports jersey and flip flops or shower shoes with white socks. I realize that this may be the only clothes they have that fit, but why not invest in some good looking Big/Tall store men's clothes? If you cannot afford it, I get that....but if you can, then? I've seen some big guys look really sharp in good fitting suits, dress shirts, good shoes, etc.
- Mussed up/knarled up hair on young women--you know, that rat's nest look scrunched up in a clip or scrunchee? That "just out of bed" look? At first I thought it was kind of cute (carefree), but now...it just looks sloppy, and too many people are doing it.
- Shaved head/goat-tee on guys--with some kind of neck tattoo/behind the ear tat. Boring.
- Elongated, pointy-toe (elf) dress shoes on guys. Looked ridiculous when it started--and it still does.
- Many have mentioned leggings as pants--I agree. But I do think they look OK with a long tunic-style blouse where the blouse hem falls at the knee, or just above the knee caps. The right shoes make a difference, too (like flats/ballerina style). But NOT with tennis shoes!
- Capri length pants are just not flattering on most women. Again, no tennis shoes with capris!
- Baggy pants with boxer shorts/butt showing---just ick.
- Scrubs in public. C'mon, even if you're a health-care professional, surely you have time to change before you go/come home from work?
- Yes...the beards have to go. Never been a fan of that look, and never will.
- I am slowly but surely getting tired of the woolen scarf (tied a certain way) on every preppy gal/guy out there. If you're wearing the scarf for warmth in a cold climate (outside!), that's different. But I've seen this scarf thing indoors in a 75 degree room.
- Cell phones on display everywhere. Yeah, I know it's not clothes/shoes, but it's an uber-trendy thing that has turned more into a fashion accessory as much as it is a tech gadget. Sometimes I get the urge (esp. in a restaurant or cafe) to do that sweep everything off the table move when I see a group of people dining together, and they're all glancing down at their cell phones! I do not take my cell phone out of my purse when I am dining/visiting with others. Unless it's an emergency, I think it's rude to constantly be looking at your phone when you're with other people. Alone---OK, but with others, nope.
- Price tags hanging off baseball caps. Actually, I can't even stand baseball caps unless you're actually on a ball field playing baseball.
- Cewpie doll hairstyles on guys---you know that swept up in the front thing they do with gel? OLD!
- Fringe/bangs combed straight down on a guy's forehead (often with gel to make them stiff as a board). It's right up there with the cewpie doll thing.
- Dreadlocks, especially on white people. I can only barely tolerate it on black people, but at least it looks more natural. The "Side Show Bob" look is just awful.
- Over-sized handbags (yes, it looks like luggage) with big buckles, sparkles, and bling all over it. Old.
- Fake, salon-done fingernails with glitter, embedded rhinestones, reverse French manicure (in all colors now), etc. Just too gawdy for my taste, and some of the nail jobs I've seen are just plain ugly.
- The Kim Kardashian make-up look. I don't think I have to describe it---y'all know it.

But don't get me wrong! I love people, and in my heart of hearts, I don't really care what people wear as long as they like it. The above is just my own personal taste. I try not worry about others' preferences in the day-in-day-out!
YES! I'm rep'ing you for this one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty