Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 10:58 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times

Advertisements

I don't get it...you know that flap in the front of men's underwear that gives access to...well, you know. What is up with that flap?

I can't imagine anyone ever uses it. And it requires all those seams. I know athletic underwear doesn't have the flap. I'm just baffled that many companies still make them.

Can anyone help me out here? What is with that flap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 11:06 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,276,394 times
I'm a woman, so excuse my ignorance, but why wouldn't anyone use it?

Old 12-26-2014, 05:59 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
So they don't have to pull down their pants like a girl!

Old 12-26-2014, 06:21 PM

460 posts, read 1,005,105 times
If you're wearing a suit or if you're in uniform, you can take care of business without having to unbuckle your belt and unbutton your trousers, which is a bonus because having to tuck your shirt back in all perfect every time you need to drain your vain can be a pain. But most mens underwear don't have the fly any more. Some that do, the opening is too small for your willie to fit thru if you happen to be well endowed. So it's generally useless anyway.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:24 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I don't get it...you know that flap in the front of men's underwear that gives access to...well, you know. What is up with that flap?

I can't imagine anyone ever uses it. And it requires all those seams. I know athletic underwear doesn't have the flap. I'm just baffled that many companies still make them.

I can't believe this is a serious question!

Old 12-26-2014, 08:23 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
I use the flap. It's needed for boxer briefs, since the method of taking the little guy out the side only works with short briefs.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:30 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,689 times
It helps to prevent frostbite.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:32 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post

ROFL... only on C-D.

1) As another has already mentioned the 'flap' allows access to urinate without having to undo as much clothing, especially if you are dressed 'up'. I will admit quality control and design on some are not that conducive to access without undoing more clothing - though I think that's a design issue with certain companies more focused on the undergarment looking 'fashionable' with no regard for the purpose.

2) Two layers (by virtue of the 'flap') allow more protection for a very sensitive part of the male anatomy of which many of population who have been circumcised have very little protection. Having the flap prevents undue discomfort should the penis wriggle free of constraints. i.e. rubbing a seam or zipper area of pants crotch can be painful.

3) Depending on the style of undergarment the design of flap and the cut of contour helps keep the 'whole package' well nestled in its respective place (boxers not as much) and protected.

4) On a historical side note, the flap(s) [both front and back - union suit] were for working men in cold climates to enable themselves to relieve themselves quickly with out having to disrobe much - and go back to work. Ironically they were first designed for 19th century women as an alternative to the constrictive undergarments of their day.

G-Fused are you this guy??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faWa6e3WhZ4

Old 12-27-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
If you're wearing a suit or if you're in uniform, you can take care of business without having to unbuckle your belt and unbutton your trousers, which is a bonus because having to tuck your shirt back in all perfect every time you need to drain your vain can be a pain. But most mens underwear don't have the fly any more. Some that do, the opening is too small for your willie to fit thru if you happen to be well endowed. So it's generally useless anyway.
I wear a suit to work. Everyday. So you don't undo your pants? You use the zipper only, then dig inside, snatch the flap, then dig inside in there again, pull out your wilie make sure it clears your pants, and then after your done work backwards to get it back in? I honestly would not have guessed that anyone does that.

And there is usually a bit of drip at the end too. Doesn't the urine get on your pants? And isn't there a good chance that your hair (or worse yet...your skin) will get snagged on the zipper?

I can think of an endless amount of issues.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
So they don't have to pull down their pants like a girl!
Are you male?

We don't have to pull our pants down to our ankles. We undo our pants and pull the underwear band down as far as necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty