Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 AM

4,249 posts, read 6,929,077 times

Advertisements

a visible undershirt under polos or dress shirts is not a very clean cut/crisp look but it's not that big of a deal either. I personally wear undershirts but make sure they are thin and V necked such that you cannot see them when I wear my dress shirts with the top button unbuttoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I don't understand the idea of an undershirt being "immature". It's just an undershirt.

I do think, though- and I don't know if this is what he was referring to or not- that for button-ups or polos in many colors and styles, the white-crewneck-poking-out-from-behind-the-collar look isn't so great. It's usually better to go with a v-neck or a crew in a color that's coordinated with the outer shirt.

woops just saw this after I posted mine. This is exactly what I was thinking. It's not the undershirt itself, it is whether it is visible or not. Visible undershirts do remind me of middle school or high schoolers. It just tends to seem a little less put together on a professional adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 10:51 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,880,053 times
I wear one underneath my polos at work in the winter to keep me warm. Here in the Phoenix area it's really all you need.

Commenting on someone's style at work is a little uncalled for but really, don't be so sensitive, he was just joking.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I'll admit it, I don't love the feel of polos. They just aren't my "thing". But, I'll wear them when I have to. However, since I wear an undershirt under the polo (it's a comfort thing), some friend recently kind of mocked me at lunch in front of others and called me out for wearing an undershirt (he doesnt even know I dont like polos) and called it "immature". He said something along the lines of, "I didnt realize we are still in Middle School". I was really pissed, but kept my mouth shut.

I just dont see how wearing an undershirt is immature if it keeps me comfortable. Do we really have to wear these unbuttoned polos nowadays, exposing chest hair! I mean, I get it, everyone recently is caught up in this "preppy" fashion, but wearing a polo has nothing to do with maturity.

Or am I crazy?
This sounds very childish. Are you sure you're not still in middle school?

Old 11-07-2014, 12:16 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,938,645 times
I don't wear undershirts... just not comfortable for me.

Everyone is different... anyone making comment on such a mundane detail that means nothing is just stupid... don't even worry about it.

Clearly it's struck a slight nerve with you... so my suggestion.. continue to wear an undershirt, but get a V-neck that doesn't stick out. Problem solved....

Old 11-07-2014, 04:58 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,658,947 times
I agree with the V-neck suggestions. I mainly wear one under a polo so if I perspire, I will protect the polo - (that's one reason I never saw the point of the "tank-top/sleeveless undershirt" as an underwear item).

Old 11-10-2014, 12:58 PM

18,487 posts, read 31,697,702 times
who makes this crap up

Old 11-10-2014, 09:33 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,369,827 times
I wear undershirts with Polos and Dress shirts but make sure they are invisible. This means V-neck, short sleeves. I also stay away from whites or other light color see through shirts.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:54 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,938,399 times
Where a V neck undershirt so you can't see it. Crew necks are generally a no no

Old 11-10-2014, 11:08 PM

29,530 posts, read 22,744,755 times
I think it used to be one of those 'unofficial' fashion rules that you don't wear an undershirt under a polo. As mentioned by others, a better preference would be to wear a tank top style underwear.

Years ago I used to always wear a white undershirt under a polo, and I didn't care if it showed.

These days I don't wear an undershirt anymore, it just feels more comfortable without one.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:31 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,579,482 times
When a male passes puberty... men tend to sweat under the arms. Unless you want to be replacing your dress shirts every few months, you'll usually wear an undershirt to protect your shirt from the sweat or from the yellow-staining aluminum complexes that sweat components can form with antiperspirant ingredients.

Prepubescent kids and those who don't have so much male hormone don't have the same issue - and so don't need to wear them.

As for wearing it under a polo - they tend to be cheap enough to replace that its not worth the comfort issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty