Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,926 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a female and living in North Carolina. Growing up, I was always more of a tom boy and never really put a whole lot of thought into what I wore. I turned 30 this year and kind of out of the blue started wanting to care more about what I wear. I have always been a jeans and short sleeve or long sleeve depending on hot or cold weather type. I had the idea of trying to switch things up a bit for myself by slowly trying to expand my current wardrobe into an all new wardrobe. Here is where I could use the advice though since I have never really paid a whole lot of attention to what works with what.

I was thinking for Spring having skirts mostly pencil or A lined with blouse tops and ballet flat type of shoes. In the Summer, having shorts with your basic cotton tops and I really like the look of boat shoes but I'm not sure if they would be appropriate? For the Autumn, I was thinking leggings with tunic tops and my Keds which are the brand I currently wear all year round. Lastly, for Winter I was thinking jeans with sweater tops and I really love those ankle boots I see everywhere in the Autumn and Winter.

I would like to know if these ideas sound ok and also what are some good jacket or coat ideas that could go well with these types of outfits in the Winter, Spring and Autumn days when it's cooler? Also, if anyone has any other ideas or tips to share that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,917,791 times
What you should wear depends on where you're going (work, etc), the weather, and your shape...some body types look better with some styles than others.

You can wear your jeans all year, add some khakis and white pants in the summer and black pants in the fall and winter. Wear skirts and shorts when you want to, don't just decide you're going to spend the whole season in one kind of outfit. Get a couple of sundresses for summer (wear them in spring too, with a little jacket or sweater), and a couple of regular dresses too.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,926 times
I'm currently not working, and the weather here is really hot in the Summer and really cold in the Winters. Spring and Autumn being the gradual heat up and cool down times although some days it can go from being really hot to freezing cold the next. I'm 5'6" and around 113 lbs. I have a really small frame.

Thanks for the advice! I will check into those!

Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,917,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf84 View Post
I'm currently not working, and the weather here is really hot in the Summer and really cold in the Winters. Spring and Autumn being the gradual heat up and cool down times although some days it can go from being really hot to freezing cold the next. I'm 5'6" and around 113 lbs. I have a really small frame.

Thanks for the advice! I will check into those!

You should check out thrift shops...I'm guessing you're about a size 2 or 4 and there are always tons of nice clothes in those sizes in the thrift shops here, so I bet it's the same where you live. Then you could try out different looks without having to spend a lot, and figure out what suits your personality.

I picture tunics and leggings being for older women or plus-sizes, because the style is good for disguising a little bulge around the middle. You could probably make it work with a belt over the tunic, and boots instead of Keds though.

Also, there are lots of different kinds of jeans. If you always just wear really basic ones, you should get a couple pairs that are more fun.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:27 PM

779 posts, read 633,847 times
It all sounds good. I don't think that you need to pigeon hole yourself into wearing any specific look all of the time. Mix it up a bit when you see a piece that you really like.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
We can give more helpful recommendations if you tell us about your body shape. Are you a pear, are you top heavy, a ruler, short-torsoed, long-torsoed.....?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,059,540 times
I think your ideas are fine. If you want to play around with your basic style, a necklace adds a nice touch:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ulYzyH3Ge_...mom+outfit.JPG

Swap the shoes for flats if you'd like.

If you want to wear a dress you can still feel comfortable in, try a jersey style.

http://jtomson.com/media/catalog/pro...rsey-dress.jpg

If you gradually decide you want to become dressier, go right ahead if you wish. Gradually increase flats with 1 inch heels, if you want. Add another inch as you dare, and stop when you've reached your comfort level. (Note that most everyday heels are between 2-3 inches.)

Old 11-30-2014, 08:29 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,560,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf84 View Post
Hi all,

I'm a female and living in North Carolina. Growing up, I was always more of a tom boy and never really put a whole lot of thought into what I wore. I turned 30 this year and kind of out of the blue started wanting to care more about what I wear. I have always been a jeans and short sleeve or long sleeve depending on hot or cold weather type. I had the idea of trying to switch things up a bit for myself by slowly trying to expand my current wardrobe into an all new wardrobe. Here is where I could use the advice though since I have never really paid a whole lot of attention to what works with what.

I was thinking for Spring having skirts mostly pencil or A lined with blouse tops and ballet flat type of shoes. In the Summer, having shorts with your basic cotton tops and I really like the look of boat shoes but I'm not sure if they would be appropriate? For the Autumn, I was thinking leggings with tunic tops and my Keds which are the brand I currently wear all year round. Lastly, for Winter I was thinking jeans with sweater tops and I really love those ankle boots I see everywhere in the Autumn and Winter.

I would like to know if these ideas sound ok and also what are some good jacket or coat ideas that could go well with these types of outfits in the Winter, Spring and Autumn days when it's cooler? Also, if anyone has any other ideas or tips to share that would be great!

for the winter, wear this with a jacket or something...turtle neck with these pants to get away from wearing jeans all the time. looks good and very simple, yet classy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llwmcKq6QwU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty