Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,523,156 times

Advertisements

Boy is it cold. I have't been this cold for 30 years. I broke down and got some gloves today after doing battle with sears another story for another day. No more cute sweaters for me I need warm bulky ones and a coat believe it or not all I have is a rain coat, a berer jacket and a leather coat.This move is going to cost hubby $$$$$. Forgot socks I haven't worn socks in years. On the bright side it is raining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 05:52 PM

Forgot to add just how cold in Hudson and for how long will it be cold?Any stats?

Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 PM

168 posts, read 691,823 times
Amen lorriem! Our family moved here mid-October...still a little warm, but definately not FL weather! I have not worn shorts and flip flops since we moved in!

Old 12-16-2007, 04:46 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,912 times
LOL!!!!! YUP! I now own 2 pairs of Uggs, winter coats and socks! I LOVE it!!!! Woolrich is my favorite designer!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:18 PM

758 posts, read 2,288,516 times
Yeah, it was sure winter here today!... had to change out of my shorts this evening and close up a couple of these windows....

Ha ha... That's what I'd be writing if I still lived in San Diego!!!

But we're tired of climate, are enjoying this weather. We actually got to use our umbrellas yesterday for the first time in years!!!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Yeah, it was sure winter here today!... had to change out of my shorts this evening and close up a couple of these windows....

Ha ha... That's what I'd be writing if I still lived in San Diego!!!

But we're tired of climate, are enjoying this weather. We actually got to use our umbrellas yesterday for the first time in years!!!
What I do love is this is the first time in three years (since living in FL) we can sleep with our windows open just like in CA. I was so glad it rained last night we might get a lawn yet. We are home in FL and it rained here also last night with tornado warnings so my neighbor told me.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zmom View Post
Amen lorriem! Our family moved here mid-October...still a little warm, but definately not FL weather! I have not worn shorts and flip flops since we moved in!
Even my jeans were not warm enough. I will get use to it. I remember living in NH and the weather would be 10 degrees. One day it hit a high of 35 and I went to the mail box and felt comfy with no jacket. The mail box was in a cluster of other boxes and it was a block away.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:08 PM

758 posts, read 2,288,516 times
Talking Adjusting to a different climate

I've had uncomfortably cold feet lately. I've been wearing the thickest socks $$$ can buy, so thick I can't wear them with most of my shoes. And I wear Arctic booties, purchased during a visit to Anchorage, Alaska--LOL!

And twice I've suffered serious ankle cramps--I'm talkin' jump out of bed now and hurt like crazy for two minutes while the heating pad warms up in the microwave! On both occasions those cramps occurred the day after hiking steep terrain, for which I am out of shape. Still I decided that those ankle cramps are probably just part of getting older (sigh).

My PA cousin reassured me this evening that my body will adjust, but it will take a winter to do it.

If she's not right, I may have to give up hiking steep terrain... hike it regularly to get and stay in shape for it... or swap homes with that fella in AZ!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:58 AM

168 posts, read 691,823 times
I think you may be right on the "getting older" bit, Jan. Things that didn't creak last year, are suddenly deciding to moan and groan until after a nice warm shower in the morning!LOL! I just wonder what these knees of mine will say when soccer season starts up again!

As for the cold weather...take heed, I am a firm believer in "blood thickening"...meaning once you've been here a little while, your body will adjust better and better...Unfortunately for us, coming from warm weather climates, it may just take an extra sweater and pair of socks!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:18 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,557,706 times
But you get to live in one one of the most beautiful parts of the state!

What a trade off...right?

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: