Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
thanks Kathryn Im ordering it now..
Let me know how it works for you.

I also use a daytime moisturizer that has alpha hydroxy in it. I think that's a fruit acid. Anyway, I get it at the health food store = they have a lot of them. And I use a vitamin C serum under the moisturizer.

Oh - and I wash my face every night and use a moisturizer then too - a nighttime one by Clarins.

Not too difficult a regimen. My grandmother had good skin and she was adamant about cleansing and moisturizing every day when she woke up and when she went to bed at night. She only used Oil of Olay and Pond's Cold Cream, so I really don't think it's WHAT you use as much as it is using it regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 01:52 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let me know how it works for you.

I also use a daytime moisturizer that has alpha hydroxy in it. I think that's a fruit acid. Anyway, I get it at the health food store = they have a lot of them. And I use a vitamin C serum under the moisturizer.

Oh - and I wash my face every night and use a moisturizer then too - a nighttime one by Clarins.

Not too difficult a regimen. My grandmother had good skin and she was adamant about cleansing and moisturizing every day when she woke up and when she went to bed at night. She only used Oil of Olay and Pond's Cold Cream, so I really don't think it's WHAT you use as much as it is using it regularly.
I cant use creams from the shops. I can only use Doublebase , all the rest burn my skin and make me ill .. even young I couldnt use Ponds Olay Astral or Nivea, they all burned my face.. I have to be very careful..but aye I agree with you its sticking to a regime and as soon as Ive washed my face the doublebase goes on.. and at night.. I cant use any type of eye cream either.. thanks Kathryn..

Old 10-08-2014, 02:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I cant use creams from the shops. I can only use Doublebase , all the rest burn my skin and make me ill .. even young I couldnt use Ponds Olay Astral or Nivea, they all burned my face.. I have to be very careful..but aye I agree with you its sticking to a regime and as soon as Ive washed my face the doublebase goes on.. and at night.. I cant use any type of eye cream either.. thanks Kathryn..
No problem. And I know what you mean about the eye creams - I can't use them either.

My biggest problem area isn't my hair - I've got that under control. It's that skin under my chin. I HATE IT! It's not that it's all waggly right now...but I can see it going in that direction.

I will go under the knife before I put up with loose skin wiggling around under my chin. BLECH!

Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
No problem. And I know what you mean about the eye creams - I can't use them either.

My biggest problem area isn't my hair - I've got that under control. It's that skin under my chin. I HATE IT! It's not that it's all waggly right now...but I can see it going in that direction.

I will go under the knife before I put up with loose skin wiggling around under my chin. BLECH!
Kathryn, I am tall with a long neck, and don't have fat or waggliness, but am just starting a bit of slightly droopy jowliness. I decided that on my 70th birthday (5 more years) I am going to get the mini face lift where they just subtly pick up the jaw a bit. If done by a skillful facial plastic surgeon the results are great. I will probably also do the undereye area at the same time. Now if only I could do something about the loose arm skin (sigh)....... maybe that burka wouldn't be so bad after all.......

Old 10-08-2014, 05:32 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,385,975 times
Quote:
Yeah, I just bet that's why she was swimming at that pool - so she'd get hit on by students and professors. Uhhhh, NOT. I think it's laughable that you'd even consider that a possibility. If you only knew how repulsed most older women are by the very idea of being hit on (or God forbid, having sex with) a college age kid, you'd stop talking this nonsense! .
You are wrong, someone else suggested that she expected a hit so was dressing down to avoid it. So you are laughing on this other poster.

Quote:
Oh, the naivete of youth. You really don't have a clue about a whoooooole lotta stuff! Please save this post in a folder somewhere so you can look back on it when you're about 50 and blush with embarrassment.
It will be in 3 months and I don't think things will change much.

Quote:
Trust me - emotionally stable, mature women (and by "mature" I don't necessarily mean older) don't give a rat's arse what most men go for. We don't style our hair to please most men. We style it to please ourselves.
Why then women are so conserned of being sexy? Or it's about being sexy for the mirror? Then it's really highly subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
"Sexy", is highly subjective.
Believe me, there are older men who see some older women that they think are sexy too.
You don't claim to be sexy, but, if your are lucky, you have run across a few women in your life who think you are.
Yes. But the age difference between men and a woman they consider sexy usually becomes bigger and bigger.
And, I don't care much about what other women think of me. I do care what my DH thinks, and I like what he thinks.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:09 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I dont have many wrinkles at all to be honest so Im lucky genetically or I need to go to Specsavers but its the more jowly look now.. face looks kind of draw if im tired or not feeling too well. and the colour has left my skin too.. but I feel the main thing is my eyes.. they dont have that sparkle they used to have..I blame a lot on allergies I have, in my eyes too. which causes a lot of puffiness, and have worried too about my neck, its sort of holiding on just now.. but one of my mothers sisters and a cousin have ugly necks, really big turkey ones and Id have to resolve to polo necks till I died.. i hate them too.. My own personal hate is my top arms.. Ive taken that from my mother who had fat arms later in life.. they never seemed to bother her as she wore short sleeve tops and never mentioned them... I try to hide mine all the time.. OH to be perfect..I think the word sexy is overused..... to look healthy and feel good is all I want..

Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
i haven't searched the forum this, so shut me down if it has been covered to death. More than once I have heard snide remarks about "Who does think she is with that long hair? She's 70, not 20! Its pathetic, she's too old for long hair."

Don in Austin
Sorry, I'm not buying that you ever heard this let alone more than once.

And I think you're describing people who simply don't take care of their hair; and probably looked a mess at 25.

Also funny being a GUY making this post since you clearly have no idea that women's hair changes at menopause and so does their tolerance for B.S and that includes being sweaty with long messy hair or caring what other people, especially GUYS think. LOL

Old 10-09-2014, 07:13 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
If you want to know why the trend started -

it started waayyyyy back to the Talmud (for Jews) and Sharia (for Muslims). The layman's summary of it:
A woman's hair is her "crowning glory" and is considered a sexual attraction. Unmarried women can wear their hair free, because it is assumed that they will be innocent virgins til they're married, and thus have no need to attract a man sexually (and therefore their hair can't, by definition, be sexually attractive).

Once they're married, they are required to cover or bind up their hair any time someone other than their husband or female attendants/family/friends/daughters are present. Their husband is the only male allowed to see their uncovered or unbound hair.

It's pretty common to just cut your hair short and wear a wig or head-wrap, because it's easier than having long hair and binding it up and then covering the bound hair.

So there's actual historic background that led up to the perspective that older women should wear their hair short. Older women are assumed to be married women. Married women shouldn't be showing off their "crowning glory" to anyone other than their husbands.

Edited to note: I don't agree with the sentiment behind the rules and regs. I'm just letting you know that there is some actual precedence to it.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you want to know why the trend started -

it started waayyyyy back to the Talmud (for Jews) and Sharia (for Muslims). The layman's summary of it:
A woman's hair is her "crowning glory" and is considered a sexual attraction. Unmarried women can wear their hair free, because it is assumed that they will be innocent virgins til they're married, and thus have no need to attract a man sexually (and therefore their hair can't, by definition, be sexually attractive).

Once they're married, they are required to cover or bind up their hair any time someone other than their husband or female attendants/family/friends/daughters are present. Their husband is the only male allowed to see their uncovered or unbound hair.

It's pretty common to just cut your hair short and wear a wig or head-wrap, because it's easier than having long hair and binding it up and then covering the bound hair.

So there's actual historic background that led up to the perspective that older women should wear their hair short. Older women are assumed to be married women. Married women shouldn't be showing off their "crowning glory" to anyone other than their husbands.

Edited to note: I don't agree with the sentiment behind the rules and regs. I'm just letting you know that there is some actual precedence to it.
There is actually a correlation to your information not related to religion or culture.

I'm a dog walker in 90 degree Florida heat and sun. I have to bind my hair up since you cannot bend over leashing dogs and scooping up dog crap 12 hours a day with long hair dangling in the breeze. Hair that I never SAW and that nobody ELSE ever saw, either. PLUS I wear a visor and actually SHOULD be wearing a HAT.

After six years I finally figured this out and chopped off about 12 inches of hair. What an idiot I didn't to it six years ago. I saved myself at least an hour a day in effort and probably money on my electric bill, too!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Frankly, the longer they keep it the better it tends to look if kept colored and in shape. I realize most just don't want to bother with it as they get older and I can't blame them but, I think it makes them look a bit younger when they do.

To each her own but, if I had my choice, I'd like to see them keep it longer for just awhile longer. Above the shoulder to just above the breast line and all lengths in between.

It seems most women in their 50's are doing this and I think it looks great. I know of a woman who is 57 and has stunning hair that would rival anyone 1/2 her age. No reason one in their 60's and 70's can't either. After that, you probably aren't buying green bananas so go with whatever pleases you.

Be careful on the fully gray or white though, that seldom looks good very long. It actually looks much, much better shorter and styled.

Just my 2 cents worth...your results may vary.
DUDE. I can't object to you stating your PREFERENCE but to assert what older women are capable or not capable of doing is not really in your lane.

Yes there are MANY reasons someone in their 60s or 70s cannot maintain long hair.

Are you a hair dresser?

Do you know how difficult it is to blow out hair? How tired your arms get holding up a blow dryer and manipulating that brush for a half hour or whatever?

What about a flat iron?

What about the expense of going to the hair dressers for root touch ups and color correction when, after a year or so the COLOR is looking like shoe polish or WORSE, as you get older the color is too severe for your age?

Furthermore, some woman take hormones and others don't and your hair will be affected by menopause. if you're taking hormones (which fewer and fewer women do now)...AND get THINNER and more coarse as one AGES.

Aging changes in hair and nails: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Besides, last year shorter hair was a big trend. Hello? Miley, Rhianna, Beyonce ?

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-be...ir/?thumbnails

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/packa...246103,00.html

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-09-2014 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty