Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 09:08 AM

68,411 posts, read 54,715,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's one of my favorite poems!

"Fight, fight against the dying of the light!"

We all age - if we're lucky. As we age and mature, our priorities, interests, and opinions change, if we're emotionally healthy that is. Our lives become enriched and filled with more nuances and experiences, as well as wisdom. We become more comfortable with and more appreciative of talents and character that transcend physical attributes.
Somewhere recently I heard someone say "Getting old is a privilege not granted to everyone, learn to appreciate it"

I thought it was one of the wisest things I've ever heard. I just turned 65, officially decrepit in the eyes of many I have to say I'm enjoying life more now than I would have ever thought possible in my younger days when 40 seemed the edge of the abyss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,517,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Somewhere recently I heard someone say "Getting old is a privilege not granted to everyone, learn to appreciate it"

I thought it was one of the wisest things I've ever heard. I just turned 65, officially decrepit in the eyes of many I have to say I'm enjoying life more now than I would have ever thought possible in my younger days when 40 seemed the edge of the abyss.
I agree! Life is so interesting. Honestly, the last thing that ever crosses my mind when I hit the door for more adventures is "Gee, I hope men I don't know find me attractive."

Adult kids, grandkids, elderly parents who thankfully are still alive and kicking, a wide circle of friends, hobbies, home renovations, projects, volunteer work, etc - wow, life in my fifties is so full of great stuff, fun activities, interesting happenings, and love...it's actually less stressful and more enjoyable than life in my thirties and forties. Twenties too, now that I think of it! I feel like the fun that's waiting for us when we're in our later years is one of life's best kept secrets!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:20 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,249,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
The blonde woman on the left is in her '60s. She looks as good or better than most half her age.

Oh geez, why do people always post pictures of famous models and actresses on these threads?

These women are not real!

They have professional stylists, professional nutritionists, personal trainers, makeup artists, expensive hair extensions, 100s of thousands spent on face lifts and plastic surgery. They even use movie makeup that virtually creates an entirely new contoured face. On top of the plastic surgery, they even use items like duck tape on their breasts, under their clothing. After all of this, they still use professional lighting and photoshop them extensively!

The amount of physical manipulation these women go through is unreal. Eating disorders are rampant in this field, as their entire career depends on maintaining a borderline anorexic bmi and maintaining an unnatural ageless appearance.

I can never understand why people continually post famous people on here and try to compare them to normal women on the street.

Its like taking a picture of a professional fitness model that works out 8 hours a day, eats nothing but an obsessively controlled diet full of supplements, and makes a living off of being freakishly muscular and in shape, and trying to compare that person with your neighbor lady next door who jogs her dog once a week.

Just don't do it, its a ridiculous comparison.

Last edited by L0ve; 10-07-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 12:23 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,443,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Oh geez, why do people always post pictures of famous models and actresses on these threads?

These women are not real!

They have professional stylists, professional nutritionists, personal trainers, makeup artists, expensive hair extensions, 100s of thousands spent on face lifts and plastic surgery. They even use movie makeup that virtually creates an entirely new contoured face. On top of the plastic surgery, they even use items like duck tape on their breasts, under their clothing. After all of this, they still use professional lighting and photoshop them extensively!

The amount of physical manipulation these women go through is unreal. Eating disorders are rampant in this field, as their entire career depends on maintaining a borderline anorexic bmi and maintaining an unnatural ageless appearance.

I can never understand why people continually post famous people on here and try to compare them to normal women on the street.

Its like taking a picture of a professional fitness model that works out 8 hours a day, eats nothing but an obsessively controlled diet full of supplements, and makes a living off of being freakishly muscular and in shape, and trying to compare that person with your neighbor lady next door who jogs her dog once a week.

Just don't do it, its a ridiculous comparison.
That lady's not a celebrity. Her daughter is, but she's not.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:34 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,071,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It is not my experience that older women are EXPECTED to have short hair.

Many have it short because it is easier to take care of.
Some have it short because thinning hair looks better short.
Mine is still shoulder length and I plan to keep it that way for a while...
I'll also add two more I hear a lot. One, that shorter hair is said to make people look younger, so the women I know who chopped their hair off when they got "old" felt it had a more youthful, spunky look.

Two, a woman chopping off her hair in general being seen as symbolic of freedom - the abandonment of expectation, rebellion against her past life, society's standards of beauty, etc. Basically, the turning over of a new leaf. So an equal number of older women I know chopped their hair off the second they retired or hit that age milestone where they had this sense that "this is their time now, the first day of the rest of their lives".

So I agree with this first line, I know of many reasons why around here short hair on older women is the trend hands-down, but I haven't heard anyone say it's expected.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:04 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
My take on this is its up to each and every woman what she wants to do, and nobody should be making the suggestion. My hair is now in better shape than it has been in a long time. I quit dying it with comercial dyes and just use henna. Henna actually makes it thicker and stronger. Even with the thin and breakable hair trimmed, its past my shoulders which is the best its done in a long time.

For me, hair should be either past shoulder length or ear length. I've done the latter. It was a lot of work trimming it over and over. I love that mine is now long enough I can twist it up and get it off my neck when its hot. I trim the ends lighty to get it even.

Maybe since I'm one for *not* following trends, the idea of expecting someone to cut their hair upon being officially 'older' is nonsense. I love it when you see an older woman with long hair, usually cared for with love. And I love that they do not cater to the 'expected' either. When we get older and supposedly all supposed to troop to the hair cutter then we're not growing old wisely but never got over being a teenager. Now, if a woman really wants for herself to have her hair short then wonderful. Just don't do it because the 'experts' say its what you should do.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,517,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My take on this is its up to each and every woman what she wants to do, and nobody should be making the suggestion. My hair is now in better shape than it has been in a long time. I quit dying it with comercial dyes and just use henna. Henna actually makes it thicker and stronger. Even with the thin and breakable hair trimmed, its past my shoulders which is the best its done in a long time.

For me, hair should be either past shoulder length or ear length. I've done the latter. It was a lot of work trimming it over and over. I love that mine is now long enough I can twist it up and get it off my neck when its hot. I trim the ends lighty to get it even.

Maybe since I'm one for *not* following trends, the idea of expecting someone to cut their hair upon being officially 'older' is nonsense. I love it when you see an older woman with long hair, usually cared for with love. And I love that they do not cater to the 'expected' either. When we get older and supposedly all supposed to troop to the hair cutter then we're not growing old wisely but never got over being a teenager. Now, if a woman really wants for herself to have her hair short then wonderful. Just don't do it because the 'experts' say its what you should do.
I like this post.

I'd also like to point out that just because people see an older woman with short hair, they shouldn't assume that she "chopped it off because people expect her to at her age." Maybe, like me, she's had very short hair since she was a young woman.

I've changed the STYLE of my short hair, and the color of it, many times over the years because I'm easily bored and I don't like to stay in a rut, and new products and processes come out and I enjoy trying them out. When I originally cut my hair, my hair was a natural auburn. I've had it auburn, black, dark brown, caramel brown, blonde, highlighted, curly, straight, tousled, spiked, parted on one side, then the other, not parted at all, short bangs, long bangs swept to one side, undercut, wedge cut, above my ears, pushed back behind my ears, shaved in the back, razor cut, asymmetrical, you name it. I keep it current and a running joke among my friends (and with my husband) is "What color will her hair be the next time I see her?" And I can "abuse" my hair this way because it's short and by the time any damage shows up, it's time to cut it off anyway!

I also admire long, beautiful hair on older women. My great grandmother had hair nearly to her waist - but she wore it up in a bun all the time. To me, that's not particularly flattering or youthful looking on most older women and she was no exception. But I have several friends in their fifties and sixties who have GORGEOUS long, thick, healthy hair and I love that look on them. Would it look good on me? Probably not as good as it looks on them, because our faces are shaped differently. And my hairstyle wouldn't look as good on them either, as their own natural, long hair looks.

It's just not that hard to figure out. If your hair looks good long - wear it long if you don't mind the maintenance of it. And if your hair looks good short -wear it short if you don't mind getting it cut once every 4-6 weeks.

So easy!

Old 10-07-2014, 02:01 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,417,145 times
I see it from both sides. I noticed a lot of older women on vacation recently with short chopped off hair. They kind of looked like their husbands. But they were happy so who cares. I will care a lot less too when I retire in a few years. On the other hand, femininity at any age is kind of special and can be evident regardless of hair length.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:28 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,398,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
But I always say that ANY poster who feels the need to comment on the physical attractiveness or "sexiness" of other people should be required to post pics of themselves (in fact, they should feel an obligation to). I look forward to seeing your pictures and being able to measure how "sexy" you are.
I'm not claiming being sexy, so I have no reason to post my photos. However, it would be fair if someone who claims h/she is sexy at 60/50 also posted their own pictures just to let others know what do they mean talking "sexy." These pictures should be accompanied by an anonymous poll (people are generally nice, so anonymity will help them to be honest) with just 3 bullets: "sexy" "not sexy" "laughable."

Just recently saw a woman - yes, well-fit, well-toned, bed hair, heels, acrylic nails 2 inch long, and such old, tired, eyes without any sparkles, that her bright short empire waist dress (revealing muscular legs) looked out of place on her.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:41 PM

230 posts, read 625,759 times
I'm in the same age group as Michelle Pfieffer and Christy Brinkley. And my hair is similar. I am also a West Coast person that grew up near Hollywood. I tell everyone that I will cut and perm my hair, and wear polyester paints and sweatshirts with teddy bears and lace collars, when THOSE women do. But for now, I still wear my hair and dress LA style....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty