Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:37 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,751,810 times

Advertisements

According to multitudinous surveys, the older we get, the more our self-esteem increases. You'd think - based on Madison Avenue's push for perfect feminine beauty - it'd be the opposite.

At age 55, I feel better about my body and my life then I ever have.

Kinda sad it took this long, but at I'm here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 08:08 AM

13,414 posts, read 28,786,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sorry, my generation burned bras. There is no way I would revert to my grandmother's society mandated torture instruments.
^^^^^^This^^^^^

No way!! I this another Kardashian thing?? I see bubble butt has been using one

Old 04-03-2015, 10:29 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,707,429 times
I like some which are not to mean to make a waist thinner.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:59 AM

6,750 posts, read 4,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Same thing I think about Chinese foot-binding. No "fashion" is worth any form of that kind of discomfort and torture.
Imagine being all bound up in one of these. You get with the guy you like. You unbound yourself, and everything lets loose. Lose the weight or go natural. Guys will like you either way.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:18 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,296,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
If you want to look like you have a below normal tiny waist (like Dolly Pardon) get a rib removed like she has done.
I've heard rumors that Dolly did it to be skinnier and Marilyn Manson did it for an unmentionable reason. All are reportedly false.

Anyhoo. I have scoliosis and never heard of a corset treatment. It does feel good to have the extra support. I only wear them for a few hours a year. I would never get it so tight it would constrain muscles or organs, goodness no.

I honestly got mine on ebay for pennies. I have a denim one and 2 satin ones that are very nice. I'm only going to wear them under t-shirts, with jeans. Otherwise my boobs arrive in the room 30 seconds before I do.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:30 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,745,208 times
Default Putting it on ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I order them online and have bought satin ones at Frederick's of Hollywood. Frederick's of Hollywood goes by your bra size. I haven't found any brick and mortar stores that still carry them. You can also find a lot of sellers on Etsy. You can spend anywhere from $20-$500+ on them. I've done very well buying them for $50-$100, although mine have been the overbust leather steel boned corsets, not really the waist cinchers, and they are not custom made. But if you get a good fit based on your measurements, you don't need a custom made corset anyway, IMO.
I have only use these things a few times and had a hell of a time getting it on.... (usually had someone more then willing to take it off though .... often with the smarty pants comment of how the hell did you get this on in the first place). It there a technique to putting these things on alone that I just am not getting if you are not flat chested?

Old 11-16-2015, 11:49 AM

Default Lol ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Last thing my wife tried (long time ago) was called "Spanx" and she described it as trying to stuff a pig into a python. Neither of us thought it was worth it. She did wonder if it could displace internal organs, or interfere with circulation - something to be considered.
The stupid things women do to try to look good. She is luck to have you. You appear to have a great attitude towards this topic ! Wish more husbands/ men tried to understand how uncomfortable some of this stuff is to wear lol.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I've heard rumors that Dolly did it to be skinnier and
Marilyn Manson did it for an unmentionable reason. All are reportedly false.

Anyhoo. I have scoliosis and never heard of a corset treatment. It does feel good to have the extra support. I only wear them for a few hours a year. I would never get it so tight it would constrain muscles or organs, goodness no.

I honestly got mine on ebay for pennies. I have a denim one and 2 satin ones that are very nice. I'm only going to wear them under t-shirts, with jeans. Otherwise my boobs arrive in the room 30 seconds before I do.

I totally think wearing a corset would help promote weight loss... when you can barely breath who the heck could eat lol. I remember wearing one of these devices that I bought at some relaly expensive store. It took forever to get on. I was wearing it under some formal dress for this party by the time I got home I literally hard indents all over because of the boning. I have never begged someone to take something off so badly. My boy freind was dying of laughter while trying to take it off. Wore it once and never again. Most expensive and least useful bra I have bought. If you are smaller chested it maybe a bit more comfortable. Also this was not a lace up it was the one with the hooks.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:12 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,929,391 times
Why would any modern women put herself through the torture that prevoius women have endured knowing it could do you harm?

Old 11-19-2015, 10:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,955,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I've heard rumors that Dolly did it to be skinnier and
Marilyn Manson did it for an unmentionable reason. All are reportedly false.

The corsets you find for pennies on eBay are not the same that give you back support. They are also not the ones that replace your bra. The ones that really work are complicated to make and have a lot of structure in the construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty