Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 04:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintlelli View Post
Just one more thing, I don't buy the whole "fat people don't fit into my active lifestyle" B.S. Take my uncoordinated self hiking one day and see how long it takes before I twist an ankle, or invite me to play a game involving a ball of any sort and see how many times I miss or hit myself in the head. Looking the part doesn't mean a thing!
LOL! Yup. The best way to find out if someone meets your active lifestyle is to see them on the field/court/trail/whatever.

Love that ESPN joined the bandwagon on this*
Prince Fielder's Naked ESPN Cover Is Sexy As Hell

*FYI all the ladies on my Facebook feed voted "hot" on this cover!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
....and do you not see the mirror that I was holding up, for those who are flipping out, so sure that women over the size of 10, are morbidly obese? The point is......not ALL large-sized women are obese, or lazy, or are just not eating right. Petite, strong, healthy women are offended at being "stereotyped", because of their body shape. So are larger women. My God, do you know what many of us went through....looking at those charts that "determined weight ranges for frame sizes"? Do you get what it's like for people who struggle, constantly, trying to fit in those ranges?

I never could...but God knows, because those were the "recommended, non-obese" weight ranges, being 20 over...well, was unacceptable. For years, I did everything imaginable (in my younger days), to battle myself into the "appropriate" weight range. Guess what? When I finally reached the high end of the "acceptable range" for my height and frame size...not one time, did I receive a compliment on my size!! No...but what I DID hear? Mel...you're not planning on losing any more weight, are you? Cuz hon, you're getting too thin. You LOOK better, look healthier, when you've got a few more lbs on. You're nothing but a bag of bones! I literally had to STARVE myself, in order to get to that weight.

In order to get to that "correct" weight, I had to lose muscle mass, as well as fat. I looked more like a boy, than a woman. Incidentally...boobs....they're body fat. Someone (and I am NOT alone, in my area), MY size, MY athletic build, MY body type....well..we tend to look more male than female, when we lose our body fat. You see, well developed abdominal muscles, built up by consistent hard, physical labor, also creates a larger (mannish) waistline. Without a little bit of fat...yeah, makeup, clothing and hairstyles are the only thing that saves us from appearing "mannish".

Please try to just accept that we're all different. Large does not equal unhealthy, anymore than Small=weak!
That's your fault for buying into bullsh** recommendations/sizing and not going by the image in the mirror. According to the BMI charts I'm borderline overweight, yet I'm 6'2 200lbs w/ a 34 inch belly measurement. Go figure.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
thanks for the laugh ...who knows, but almost nobody was fat in the 70s. ...
Were you even alive in the 70s? Where in the world do you get the idea that "almost nobody was fat" in the 70s?

Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
Were you even alive in the 70s? Where in the world do you get the idea that "almost nobody was fat" in the 70s?
Every time I see the cover of a Doobie Brothers album and the styles they wore back then I thank God I wasn't born until that nonsense was over. Or at least winding down. I was not born until 1980, but I'm smart enough to know there were fat people in the 1970s. Enough so that you can't make the "almost nobody" claim.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:59 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Some chunkiness makes a great cuddle buddy for CNJ winter nights .

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?month=1

The January 6th Record was broken this year. We reached a low of -9 F .

But being excessively overweight (BMI is above freezing) is a problem.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:00 PM

323 posts, read 499,707 times
I just don't want to look at fat people. They are everywhere. In the grocery store, the rolls of lard jiggling, holding their arms out to the side because the fat folds won't let them hang down normally, the haunches and huge butts rolling side to side when they walk like two shoats fighting in a sack. I have to look away.

20% of Americans now are a normal weight according to their BMI. How much is it going to cost to have all these people break down and slowly die of heart disease and diabetes? But it is so disgusting to look at. They should get tickets written for the crime of visual pollution.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
I just don't want to look at fat people. They are everywhere. In the grocery store, the rolls of lard jiggling, holding their arms out to the side because the fat folds won't let them hang down normally, the haunches and huge butts rolling side to side when they walk like two shoats fighting in a sack. I have to look away.
So stay home. Society is not obliged to adhere to your viewing pleasure.

Quote:
20% of Americans now are a normal weight according to their BMI. How much is it going to cost to have all these people break down and slowly die of heart disease and diabetes? But it is so disgusting to look at. They should get tickets written for the crime of visual pollution.
That's as far as I needed to read. BMI? Bush league.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:18 PM

323 posts, read 499,707 times
Do you know what a Basal Metabolic Index is? Whats your's?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Do you know what a Basal Metabolic Index is? Whats your's?
It's "rate" not "index." BMI, which you cited, is body mass index and is a laughable metric for gauging who is overweight/obese and who is not.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:13 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
Quote:

I'm guessing that either you're overweight or have been at some point in your life and you're hating on others because you hate a little part of yourself. Where's your profile picture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty