Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:46 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times

Advertisements

Living in the PNW, my hubby and I both get comments from people regarding the fact that neither of us have any tattoos. No one has ever tried to talk us into getting one, but they have made it their business to ask us why we never got one, are we against them, if so why are we against them, etc...

It's interesting, because it used to be the other way around. People with tattoos used to attract attention and get the stares and questions. Lately it's like you attract attention to yourself if you don't have stuff inked all over your arms and neck and back and legs and metal and bits all punched into your face. Or you are immediately judged as something like a right-wing Christian conservative if you haven't scarred or modified yourself in some way.

I stumbled upon this article today in the OregonLive... I really enjoyed reading through the comments section: Portland's tolerance is overrated: Guest opinion | OregonLive.com

Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
I've never been pressed to get a tattoo. In fact two older guys, an old sailor with blurry tattoos all over his arms and a guy with old fashioned hearts and roses type tattoos, both told me never to get one. I've decided for myself that I prefer the human body in it's natural state without ink or metal attachments.

Last edited by 5-all; 06-02-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 11:28 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
I'm 20 and I think they're pointless. Maybe if I were to have a child, then I'd see the point. I remember my senior year when a bunch of people started getting tattoos.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

Her friends are always saying to her, "Why don't you get with it and gets some tattoos?"

If you are 21-40 and don't have any tattoos do you get any peer pressure from your friends or family to get with the times and get some tats?
How old is your daughter? You make it sound like she's in high school but you ask about the 21-40 age group.

If she is 21-40 and her friends are telling her to get tattoos then she needs to start hanging around with more mature people.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Just yesterday I read that only 20% of people in the U.S have tattoos, so she has plenty of company.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:56 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
I have no holes I wasn't born with, and no tattoos.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
How old is your daughter? You make it sound like she's in high school but you ask about the 21-40 age group.

If she is 21-40 and her friends are telling her to get tattoos then she needs to start hanging around with more mature people.
The OP is retired in the mid 60s.
I highly doubt there is a high school daughter....

Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don't have any tattoos and will never get any. I've never felt pressured to get one. If someone tried to pressure me into getting a tattoo, they would just be opening up the door for me to make jokes about their tattoos. I've got lots of material. It would actually be fun for me.
My favorite one would about the tattoo of the little rose on a young girl's breast becoming a long-stemmed rose when she's old.

We've always been too paranoid in this family to even entertain the idea of tattoos, and that went for the kids too. Having medical professionals ( including me as a microbiologist by education and experience) as parents seems to have worked to make them leery. Good.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:20 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Living in the PNW, my hubby and I both get comments from people regarding the fact that neither of us have any tattoos. No one has ever tried to talk us into getting one, but they have made it their business to ask us why we never got one, are we against them, if so why are we against them, etc...

It's interesting, because it used to be the other way around. People with tattoos used to attract attention and get the stares and questions. Lately it's like you attract attention to yourself if you don't have stuff inked all over your arms and neck and back and legs and metal and bits all punched into your face. Or you are immediately judged as something like a right-wing Christian conservative if you haven't scarred or modified yourself in some way.

I stumbled upon this article today in the OregonLive... I really enjoyed reading through the comments section: Portland's tolerance is overrated: Guest opinion | OregonLive.com

I'm beyond that age ( 21-40), but I'd figure if anyone that looks that way at someone without tattoos, it's their problem, not the person without the tattoos.

In fact, I think tattoos are ugly and I can't understand someone submitting themselves to unnecessary pain to get one, but I guess that is just me.

And the idea of having to have tattoos because everyone else does, that just smacks of brainless lemming behavior, IMO.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:32 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
One of my daughters came by the house over the weekend and the conversation turned to tattoos.

She said that she is basically the only one of her group of friends who doesn't have a tattoo. Her friends have multiple tattoos and spend a lot of time talking about tattoos and planning their next tattoo. My daughter says that she feels like an outcast for not having a tattoo and is feeling lots of social and peer pressure to get some.

Her friends are always saying to her, "Why don't you get with it and gets some tattoos?"

If you are 21-40 and don't have any tattoos do you get any peer pressure from your friends or family to get with the times and get some tats?
You need to show her photos of famous people getting tattoos removed. The first two that come to mind are Rob Kardashian (removing an entire sleeve), and probably the most famous tattoo of all that spawned thousands of copycats, Pamela Anderson's Barbed Wire Armband.

Quote:
I suspect that many people under 30 who get tattoos are victims of peer and other types of social pressure, don't you think?
No or they are complete dumba$$e$.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5154235.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty