Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 03:22 PM

47 posts, read 67,719 times

Advertisements

I think what makes people look older is when they get stuck in a time warp, a time or era when they looked their best, like 1978 or 1985 or 1992. And they won't update their look. They think they look the age they feel. It is really the whole package. I would be mortified to be one of those women with long hair, teenager clothes, nice figure, but then turn around and scare someone with an older face, neck, and hands that reveal real age.

Death is a scary thing. Aging means one step closer to death. Denial helps people who are aging feel younger than they are.

Last edited by metro_me; 05-31-2014 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 03:41 PM

250 posts, read 400,302 times
All of you in "old age denial" that love to tout about how everybody thinks you're xx years younger than you really are... People are really just being nice. Youre aging just like everybody else but it sucks to wrap your mind around because old is not desirable. That's why anti-aging and plastic surgery is a multi billion dollar a year industry in just America alone!

If you really think that people are confusing your forty something face for a 29 year old, try this: instead of asking them how old you look... Tell whoever that they win $20 if they guess your age +/- 2 years. Youll magically start hearing some more realistic guesses lol

Old 05-31-2014, 04:04 PM

2,235 posts, read 2,409,031 times
I find it kind of annoying how a lot of people think petite women automatically look younger. Being short doesn't make you look like a teenager. It has everything to do with your face. I've seen short women who look old and tall women who look about 16.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:24 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,595,223 times
Who cares, if you feel great and your happy it will show and reflect on the outward, no matter your age... I know many young and older folks who dead inside, it comes down to a mind set, I prefer to be young at heart and mind, body and soul, than be bitter no matter what age I is...

Old 05-31-2014, 04:41 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,398,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
All of you in "old age denial" that love to tout about how everybody thinks you're xx years younger than you really are... People are really just being nice. Youre aging just like everybody else but it sucks to wrap your mind around because old is not desirable. That's why anti-aging and plastic surgery is a multi billion dollar a year industry in just America alone!

If you really think that people are confusing your forty something face for a 29 year old, try this: instead of asking them how old you look... Tell whoever that they win $20 if they guess your age +/- 2 years. Youll magically start hearing some more realistic guesses lol
I think people guess five years younger than they think you are. So if they think you are 40, they'll say 35. So when people say I look ten years younger, I know they really mean I look like I'm in my early 30's instead of almost 40.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:51 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,029,931 times
I think I do until I see a picture of myself then reality sets in. Supposedly people get hung up on a certain look they had at a certain age and can't let go. I sympathize, but I think putting yesterdays' look squarely in the past and dressing an age appropriate style for today is best. I know many would not agree, but I think it works for most of us.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:51 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,221,780 times
Quote:

Then why do people ask me about wife and kids. I am 21 years old for heaven sakes, not some middle aged guy in his late 30's. And I will not have kids because of personal fear that I will be a very bad father.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:40 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Eh, I find people who are not close to your age are the ones most likely to be widely off about the age the peg people at. My teenage students are shocked I am early 40s. Same for people my mothers age. But my peers usually only put me a few years younger.

Nobody knows what 40 looks like, like other 40 year olds.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:44 PM

17,546 posts, read 39,171,450 times
Quote:

It must suck to be you...

Old 05-31-2014, 06:59 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,690,312 times
Quote:

Why would we or anyone else want to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty