Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:12 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,962,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post
i'd say go for it, my first tattoo was a battleship across my chest with the phrase "born to lose" written beneath it.
Hmmm,,,,you didn't go for the flaming, leering skull with a giant pair of fuzzy dice? Or the huge entangled dragon all over your back in lurid radioactive green and emergency red and orange?

Actually, i did see a guy with the "Born to Lose" along the top of his back shoulders. It was very prominent with it lovely flowing script in black and blue. However, the proofreader was out to lunch that day. It came out "Born to Loose". But, i suppose that is what he intended but hard to know.

However, if you are going all out, Jesse Smith or someone with his talent is the way to go. He is an artist for sure. His use of colour and fitting the form to the curves of the human body is truly well done. I have seen so many awful ones that you best pick an artist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 05:09 PM

582 posts, read 1,120,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Here, to name a few, are some people who had/have tattoos. Maybe you've heard of them. I'd consider them "successful"

Thomas Edison
Winston Churchill
Teddy Roosevelt
Andrew Jackson
George Orwell

Yes, I've heard of them, but did any of them have full-arm sleeve tattoos, which is what my comment (and the OP's question) pertained to? My comment had nothing to do with a regular tattoo; my comment pertained specifically to full-arm sleeve tattoos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Wow so only losers who dont plan to live long get tats, huh?

I live in a tri-city area where practically everyone has a tat (oh and btw most of them are currently serving their country atm)
I saw plenty of tattoos in the military, however, I rarely saw full-arm sleeve tattoos. It appears the Army is not exactly a fan of tattoos based on their new policy regarding tattoos (Army tightens personal appearance, tattoo policy | Article | The United States Army):

1. Tattoos cannot be located anywhere on the neck or head above the lines of a T-shirt. They also cannot be located anywhere below the wrist bone.

2. Visible band tattoos cannot be longer than 2 inches wide. There can be no more than 1 visible band tattoo.

3. Sleeve tattoos on arms or legs are not allowed. (Notice the full-arm sleeve tattoos on the Soldier in the army.mil link.)

4. Each visible tattoo below the elbow or knee must be smaller than the size of the wearer's extended hand.

5. There cannot be more than 4 total tattoos below the elbows or knees.

6. Soldiers who currently violate the revisions can be grandfathered in as long as commanders validate their current tattoos.

7. Each year, commanders must check each Soldier for new tattoos that might be prohibited. The checks will be done when Soldiers are in their physical fitness uniform and do not include tattoos that might be hidden by the shorts or T-shirts. Prohibited tattoos include those just mentioned, as well as ones that could be deemed extremist, indecent, sexist, or racist.

According to Sergeant Major of the Army Raymond F. Chandler III, "The Army is a profession, and one of the ways our leaders and the American public measure our professionalism is by our appearance. Wearing of the uniform, as well as our overall military appearance, should be a matter of personal pride for all Soldiers. Leaders at all levels also have a responsibility to interpret and enforce these standards, which begins by setting the example."

Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,278,210 times
I got a tattoo tonight... Unfortunately I'm feeling a sense of regret. Like wtf was I thinking. It's actually pretty funny... Within 30 minutes after getting it, I cringed when I looked in the mirror.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,318,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I got a tattoo tonight... Unfortunately I'm feeling a sense of regret. Like wtf was I thinking. It's actually pretty funny... Within 30 minutes after getting it, I cringed when I looked in the mirror.
LOL. It'll be fine. You'll forget you have it pretty soon.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:57 PM

169 posts, read 830,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Oh no! Well hopefully it's in a spot that isn't really in your face all the time. Like your hand or forearm.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Further indication of our societal downfall. While mostly a Social Liberterian Progressive I do not like tattoos and if I was in a position of hiring employees, people with tattoos would have the most difficult time getting hired by me.

I hate this kind of mentality. If somebody walks in full of facial tattoos that's one thing. But say somebody has a few nice pieces on their arms. Not vulgar or anything. Their choice of artwork doesn't effect their work ethic or skills.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
My (unpopular) opinion is don't get it. The vast majority of tattoos are just clip art quality.

Some tattoos are nicer than others but they all look like clip art to me. Most people look like a walking clip art catalog; a rose here, a name there, a tiger, a face, another rose, a date, ad nauseam. All at different angles, different perspectives, different styles of art with no cohesive design applied to the entire canvas, the body.

The black ink is so awful, in the art world hardly anyone actually uses black, they create black with combinations of other colors, so it's an automatic dislike for me. I understand that the limitations of tattooing don't allow blending to that degree. So it's an imperfect art, nothing I would engage in.

If one wishes to have name, dates, faces, creatures, flowers and such then why not just put it on paper and start a collection.

Seriously? While I'll admit I've seen more mediocre tattoo's in person then stunning ones, have you ever seen the incredible work that can be done with portraits and photo realism? Look at work by the likes of Corey Miller, Tommy Helm, Shane O'Neil, Nikko Hurtado, etc and tell me those are "clip art quality."

Old 04-18-2014, 03:08 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,575,737 times
My wife works with a plastic surgeon, the fastest growing part of their business is tattoo removal.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:33 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,230,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrchick View Post
Seriously? While I'll admit I've seen more mediocre tattoo's in person then stunning ones, have you ever seen the incredible work that can be done with portraits and photo realism? Look at work by the likes of Corey Miller, Tommy Helm, Shane O'Neil, Nikko Hurtado, etc and tell me those are "clip art quality."
As I've said, I just don't get it. A face on my body? I think you are missing one of my points of why I consider any tattoo, nicely done or not, a clip art. It is not a cohesive design, a face here, a rose there, etc. Like picking up different pieces of art and sticking them on a body. There are some that are a vine up the back and branching off to the arms, those are one design that is cohesive. But even when that idea is taken to the extreme it loses me.

Those face portraits, no matter how well done, get so distorted just by moving the body, twisting the arm, etc. They don't look good, after a few years especially. Portraits are not made to be movable.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:36 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,667,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tpowered View Post
So, on a scale of 1 to Operation Barbarossa, how bad of an idea would it be to make my first tat a full arm sleeve?
Just make sure your insurance is paid up and you get your hepatitis vaccine. You'll probably need both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty