Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,856,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Don't just don't
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:35 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,694,121 times
A full sleeve is going to take more than one sitting. I doubt they'd even finish the outline in one sitting. I have almost a half sleeve on my right arm and with 2 sessions down, still have one more to go to finish color. The design you have in mind, have you considered it for some time? I always suggest people get something with meaning, that way it not only has a purpose, there is little chance you'll regret it later. Also to sit on it to make sure it's what you wanted. I've gone that route with all of mine and glad I did. Also, don't worry about the whole "how's your skin going to look when you're old?" That's such an absurd argument considering how bad old skin looks period. You can always get it retouched when it fades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Do you think the tattoo will affect a job interview in the near future? How do you think it will look to women and employers when you’re 40 – assuming you plan to reach age 40, assuming you date women, and assuming you plan to still be working at age 40 (even if you’re self-employed, you will have judgmental customers)?

Ask 10 employed, successful (I didn’t say rich/wealthy, I said successful; you don’t have to be rich/wealthy in order to be successful) 40-year-old men if they think it’s a good idea. If any of them say yes, ask them to show you their full-arm sleeve tattoo that they got when they were your current age. If they don’t have one...
Here, to name a few, are some people who had/have tattoos. Maybe you've heard of them. I'd consider them "successful"

Thomas Edison
Winston Churchill
Teddy Roosevelt
Andrew Jackson
George Orwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Further indication of our societal downfall. While mostly a Social Liberterian Progressive I do not like tattoos and if I was in a position of hiring employees, people with tattoos would have the most difficult time getting hired by me.
The world in which guys like you get to tell others how to live their life, what with your made up rules and opinions, is dying one horrific death. It's a shame, and shows how shallow man can be, when he arbitrarily looks down upon another based on some artwork on that person's body. If making hiring decisions based on such flimsy notions, I would think a.) you wouldn't hold a position of hiring employees very long or b.) said company would end up in the same boat as Blockbuster and other crash and burn businesses.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:54 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,539,628 times
Remember that you are having an artist put their artwork on your body. It's their talent on display not yours. Choose your artist carefully. You're a walking advertisement for their talent and work so don't let Derek the local Pot Dealer "try out some new ideas" on your canvas(body).

Enjoy.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,821,440 times
Quote:
Further indication of our societal downfall. While mostly a Social Liberterian Progressive I do not like tattoos and if I was in a position of hiring employees, people with tattoos would have the most difficult time getting hired by me.
I think you'd have a difficult time remaining in your position when you made each interviewee undress completely so you could body check them for tattoos. Or do you actually believe that just because someone doesn't have a tattoo on their face, lower arms, or hands, that their body is free of any tattoos? I know many people who are button up professionals who have small tattoos on their upper arms, shoulders, or back. Good luck trying to discriminate against something you can't see.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:26 AM

558 posts, read 1,122,489 times
My uncle got his arm sleeved at 50 years old. But he is a wealthy business owner so he don't have anyone to try to impress. Wears a long sleeve at work so customers don't turned off. Personally not for me. I'd never get even 1 tattoo. Way too permanent and as much as I get tired of things I'd be trying to erase it after a day

Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,277,944 times
I personally wouldn't get a tattoo in any place that wouldn't be easily concealable... Just my thoughts due to professionalism. Also for your first tat make sure you've considered how it will look on you(there are certain designs that might look good on some people but not on you or may not look good on certain body parts). If you have a design in mind that has significant meaning then definitely get that. Otherwise get something that your okay with looking at in the mirror when your old.
Persohally I would not schedule a full out full sleeve tattoo as my first one. I would start out with something small and see how it goes and then take it from there. It is usually recommended that a first tattoo be under one hour.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-16-2014, 11:31 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,229,616 times
My (unpopular) opinion is don't get it. The vast majority of tattoos are just clip art quality.

Some tattoos are nicer than others but they all look like clip art to me. Most people look like a walking clip art catalog; a rose here, a name there, a tiger, a face, another rose, a date, ad nauseam. All at different angles, different perspectives, different styles of art with no cohesive design applied to the entire canvas, the body.

The black ink is so awful, in the art world hardly anyone actually uses black, they create black with combinations of other colors, so it's an automatic dislike for me. I understand that the limitations of tattooing don't allow blending to that degree. So it's an imperfect art, nothing I would engage in.

If one wishes to have name, dates, faces, creatures, flowers and such then why not just put it on paper and start a collection.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:34 AM

39,303 posts, read 27,684,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
My (unpopular) opinion is don't get it. The vast majority of tattoos are just clip art quality.
I have to agree with this. I also believe op should get a smaller tattoo and see if she likes it.

I used to have a super small tattoo on my finger, laser surgery to remove it perhaps has a pain level of 7 or 8. People do change their minds, small tattoos are always easy to deal with than bigger ones.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:56 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,315,311 times
Quote:

Thank goodness I am in a position to do such things and I don't discriminate.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:58 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,315,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post

Some tattoos are nicer than others but they all look like clip art to me. Most people look like a walking clip art catalog; a rose here, a name there, a tiger, a face, another rose, a date, ad nauseam. All at different angles, different perspectives, different styles of art with no cohesive design applied to the entire canvas, the body.

The black ink is so awful, in the art world hardly anyone actually uses black, they create black with combinations of other colors, so it's an automatic dislike for me. I understand that the limitations of tattooing don't allow blending to that degree. So it's an imperfect art, nothing I would engage in.

If one wishes to have name, dates, faces, creatures, flowers and such then why not just put it on paper and start a collection.

You must live in an area where there are a ton of crappy tattoo artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty