Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:05 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times

Advertisements

I never used to get the haircut that I wanted. I've been cutting my hair for about 5 years now. I let my hair grow out longer and just recently cut it into long layers. I like it better than any haircut I've ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 02:11 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I never used to get the haircut that I wanted. I've been cutting my hair for about 5 years now. I let my hair grow out longer and just recently cut it into long layers. I like it better than any haircut I've ever had.
I'm impressed that you can cut your hair, let alone into long layers, without hairdressing training. Prior to hair school, I couldn't brush out my hair on my own... & no, I'm not kidding. That's the reason I went to hair school... I had a HUGE learning curve.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:21 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Unfortunately I've had way too many hair stylists do what they wanted versus what I wanted so I am the only one that cuts my hair now. I've been cutting it for probably at least 20 years with a few exceptions.

The only exceptions have been when I would see a woman on the street whose hair I love and would ask her for the name of the stylist (This would usually be a few years after my last butcher job). But when they do my hair it NEVER turns out close to anything I asked for and most times they chop off my hair to my shoulders (or shorter) which is something I CLEARLY tell them NOT to do but I get the "put your head down" and then I hear a big CHOP!! Why do hair stylists do this??? I have to be able to put my hair in a ponytail so short hair is NOT an option for me!!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:17 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
My Mom always cut our hair and her haircuts pretty much sucked.

So I was attempting to trim it myself in high school. Whacked off a bigger section than intended. By the time I was done repairing it, I had the cutest haircut.

Never could get it the same again - neither a professional, or on my own. And my Mom never touched my hair again!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:40 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
I always have because of the same reasons as you.
I'd bring a picture to the hair stylist of what I wanted; I always walked out with something other than what I asked for.
I stopped going. Whether my hair was relaxed or natural, I cut it myself.
It's really short and natural now, so I or my son can cut it with clippers. But I may let it grow out a little into a longer, short curly fro. Then I may need to find someone who can work with my hair and cut it the way I want.
There are some really good Youtube videos that show you how to cut longer hair.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
My stylist actually was the one who taught and encouraged me to trim my own bangs in between visits. I had followed her when the salon I met her at closed, and it went from a 10-minute drive from my work to a 40-min. drive from my house, but she's that good. My hair grows incredibly fast, and she knew I wouldn't be making the trip for my frequent bang-trimming needs, so she taught me how to do it myself so I didn't go nuts in between visits. I've done it when it's been crisis-level (had my first date with my now-husband, but couldn't make it out to her shop in time for the date), but it makes me nervous. I prefer not to do it myself, but I can if I need to.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
But when they do my hair it NEVER turns out close to anything I asked for and most times they chop off my hair to my shoulders (or shorter) which is something I CLEARLY tell them NOT to do but I get the "put your head down" and then I hear a big CHOP!! Why do hair stylists do this???
I have quite literally never experienced this. I certainly wouldn't return to a stylist who gave me a completely different cut than I asked for.

I don't really sweat haircuts, though, because my hair grows so quickly that if I don't like it, it's grown out in two weeks. The downside is that, if I DO like it...it's grown out in two weeks.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM

7,367 posts, read 5,480,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
My Mom always cut our hair and her haircuts pretty much sucked.

So I was attempting to trim it myself in high school. Whacked off a bigger section than intended. By the time I was done repairing it, I had the cutest haircut.

Never could get it the same again - neither a professional, or on my own. And my Mom never touched my hair again!
Oh the memories! My Mom cut mine and my sisters hair when we were kids too. I have her to thank for all those cringe worthy school pictures. The pixie haircuts with the dorky, super short, uneven bangs!

Then when I was in junior high I wanted long hair, so she forced me to get perms which she did herself. The rollers, those torture pin thingy's, the huge pink hair dryer you had to sit under , and the smell. And the perms never took on my hair, which was a blessing!

Thank God when I got in high school she didn't bother anymore. Today I will cut my bangs, which are long, but I go to the salon and get the rest of my hair cut.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:25 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
The major reason I cut my own hair is I work the night shift, sleep every day from 9a-5p, and most of the barber shops in my neighborhood are open during those hours. I live in Las Vegas, a 24-hour city, with 24,000 nightshift workers, and where are the barber shops open to us night shift workers that are open all night?

I do a hi-low fade, 3-2-1 with the shears, and I do a pretty good job doing it, haven't had any complaints yet!

Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
I used to, but now I found a lady who has a small shop and cuts it for $10...it looks better than my attempts
were so I treat myself every few months...my hair is shortish, I trim the bangs, around the ears, and my neckline
in between visits...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty