Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 10:08 PM

366 posts, read 644,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Hysterical post!
Thanks man. The topic deserved it. Just some stuff I've read thru the years all smudged together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Despite committing most strong arm robberies, and half of all murders?

Come on this isn't bias. Its facts. Whites are constantly labeled sexual deviant child molesters because they commit the most child molesting. I think the problem people have with blacks is that they don't call black people out on things like knock out game and killing half of everyone who was murdered in America despite being only 14 percent of the pop.

Whereas whites acknowledge and shun those child rapists in there midsts.
No they are not. This kinda all BS stuff. Well let's be completely real. Most murders occur between people of the same race. You don't have to fear the "scary black men" who are coming after your women. It isn't happening very often.

But let's keep this current. So the other day Richard Sherman was branded a thug because he was excited after winning a playoff game. And Michael Grimm threatens to throw a reporter over the balcony. No thug comparisons there....why is that? We are quick to paint black people as "bad" and are a lot more forgiving towards white people. Mr. Affluenza wasn't drunk and irresponsible, his parents coddled him too much.

There is bias in how we perceive people, no matter their behavior.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 AM

127 posts, read 320,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Tell that to the attractive black doctor in my neighborhood here in NC who is married to a gorgeous blonde.

I think its pretty safe to never say never.
why do people keep thinking black and brown are the same thing? its frustrating

black = african american of any shade, it is a term used to describe race not a skin color

brown = term used to describe some middle eastern people and almost all indians and pakistanis, some darker latinos too

Old 02-07-2014, 12:10 AM

127 posts, read 320,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
I may get flack for this but truth is as a white woman I've just only found white men attractive. I've also lived in diverse neighborhoods before as well, but that's just me.
You won't get flack for it. From what I have seen women are rarely given much flack for their preference especially if their preferences tend to put down certain races. I am okay with a woman saying she just isn't attracted to certain ethnic groups, what bothers me is when a woman says "I am not attracted men from certain ethnic groups because they are foreign, smelly, and weird" which I have seen quite a lot of younger American women do, younger being the key word which makes it even scarier.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:16 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
The darker tone for men signifies strength.why do you think women constantly speak on Italian men, southern French men, Spanish men and not Irish, brits, and polish white men?
Speak for yourself! IMO the sexiest men are from the UK!

I can name names if you would like, and add pics, lol!

Old 02-07-2014, 04:56 AM

41 posts, read 69,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
why do people keep thinking black and brown are the same thing? its frustrating

black = african american of any shade, it is a term used to describe race not a skin color

brown = term used to describe some middle eastern people and almost all indians and pakistanis, some darker latinos too
Actually, African American is an ethnic group not a race. There are African Caribbean Americans Black African Continental Americans, Afro Latinos, Black Asians, Pacific Islanders, mixed race Blacks... African American is a term we came up with in the 80s to be able to call ourselves something other than what European Americans had invented for us(or so the story goes)it's just used(hijacked) in the Federal census b/c the govt. won't allow people to simply self identify instead of having boxes already to check. I am an African American woman in my mid 20s and grew up being told Black was my race African American my ethnicity and American my nationality.

As for attractiveness...I prefer Black men and (dark skinned) Asian men, although white skinned Asian men are attractive(and I have dated one before). Black men who were born and raised in the Americas are what I typically go for(for cultural similarities). For me the lighter skinned a man the less likely I am to date him(if he is non Black).

Also, as some one stated previously, Africa is a diverse continent with diverse looks. The people there mixed long before the migration of Black Africans to the Americas, so the diversity in our facial features is not exclusively due to our time over here.

In regular non celebrity circles, people may tend to find each other attractive based on their own ideals.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:35 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
It would for countless comic nerds (myself included), since the alternative universe story lines suck! (Yes there is a black Superman in them, but then again Harvy Dent (two face in Batman world) is also a Superman in them, so you can see why I say that!)

Superman was written as a "white guy", it wouldn't make sense to make him anything else, IMO. If you want to get upset that the major superheros aren't black, blame the creators; they write them that way.

There are tons of superheros that are black, including my all time fav Green Lantern! Not to mention the totally awesome Nick Fury!

List of black superheroes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^ That's not a whole list either, BTW.
This...

I was going to make this exact point.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:41 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,061 times
Quote:

Come on this isn't bias. Its facts. Whites are constantly labeled sexual deviant child molesters because they commit the most child molesting. I think the problem people have with blacks is that they don't call black people out on things like knock out game and killing half of everyone who was murdered in America despite being only 14 percent of the pop.

It was humorous that one would ask me what planet I am living on to see such portrayals of unsavory white men. Perhaps s/he hasn't seen enough commercials or movies.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:53 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
Do you believe as time goes by American society will start to consider attractive people from all races attractive?
As some said, to an extent, it already does. But there will always be a lean towards the dominant group in a society being represented/chosen the most and in American society, whites are the dominant group, so we're a long way away from there being anywhere close to as many non-whites filling magazines, in leading film roles, as television cast members, on the runway, et cetera as whites.

If you're asking if there'll ever be a time when that disparity doesn't exist, who knows. It's kind of like asking if there'll ever be a time when most things in America aren't in English. Only time and a shifting demographic will tell.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:41 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Not sure how this is true considering it is very common for white males to be portrayed as either evil or bumbling, unfashionable, awkward idiots, and black and brown men as heroic, intelligent, level headed, etc.
White men are often portrayed in the media as being exactly what you described as well as all of the positive opposites. There seems to be less of a gap between how often white males are portrayed positively compared to negatively considering they're portrayed more often in general.

Even within a single piece, sure, the white lead may be portrayed as a bumbling idiot, but the other 90% of the cast that's also white isn't shown in the same light so it ends up rounding out. When you only have one character of color, which is usually the case, they don't have that same concurrent diversity in how they're represented.

Black men are often portrayed as volatile, foul-mouthed, having gang/drug-related ties or otherwise having ties to "the streets", and being unusually strong. Brown men (e.g. Indians) are the ones often portrayed as intelligent and level headed. Latinos are often portrayed as scheming go-to men and sidekicks. Yellow men are often portrayed as white men who also happen to kick really high lol

I'm sorry, sometimes I can't take discussions about race seriously.

Quote:

I think what this person is saying that you were responding to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What planet is this?

But more importantly. No matter how many nerdy, awkward, serial killer, psychopath white males there are, no one is going to assume all white men are like that. The ones that are are exceptions.

Heaven forbid someone black does something bad. They represent the entire race! And the people that you are calling "heroic" or whatever...they are considered the exceptions.
... is correct.

Regardless of many being aware of and/or sharing the mindset that the majority of serial killers, psychos, and pedos are white, it has no impact on how they regard the white race as a whole. They don't hesitate to hire a white person because he might be a serial killer. When a white person is arrested for molesting a child, they don't say, "Ugh, white people are monsters", they say, "Ugh, that man is a monster".

Society may acknowledge the trend that certain acts are/seem to be committed mostly by whites, but they don't believe it's because they're white, so their act never becomes a racial discussion, only an examination of American culture at best.

This separation isn't the case for blacks. Blacks are regarded/treated on a whole as though the crimes and behaviors most readily associated with us are fundamental aspects of our race - as if we're genetically inclined to behave that way (i.e. when we do something wrong, it's because we're black and that's what black people do).

So when a black guy is arrested for, say, shooting someone over a jacket, the overwhelming response isn't, "He's a piece of crap that should be behind bars". The response is, "Well, he's black, what do people expect?" And it declines into a racial argument. People are also less inclined to give blacks the benefit of the doubt or consider circumstances that may have contributed to their behavior.

When a white teen shoots up his school, people want to know why. What triggered it? What happened? They pay close attention to the details of the event. They investigate his life. He had a really bad childhood, they were poor, didn't have much opportunity, his dad was an abusive alcoholic, his mom didn't stick up for him, he didn't have any friends, they taught him to shoot when he was really young, he plays violent video games and read books about murder.

They do their best to piece together what could have gone so wrong and even if they don't sympathize with him, they still say, "Looking at what he came from, it's no surprise this happened. He didn't have much of a chance to come out normal, did he? He was just a ticking time bomb."

When a black teen mugs someone, no one cares why. He did it because he's black and blacks are criminals. If you so much as mention all of the negatives of his upbringing and his environment that contributed to this being the path he went down, people get upset and say it's no excuse because there are plenty of white people in the same situation and you don't see them walking around mugging anyone.

Right, because they're too busy killing people and raping babies, badumbum.

But seriously, folks, society has come a very long way from where it once was. I just wish people would stop acting like the progress we've made means that absolutely no inequalities in perception and treatment exist. They do and if we don't acknowledge that because we'd rather pretend all is well in Raceville just to make a point, the progress we've made will be the only progress we make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty