Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Absolutely it would. It becomes a "Black movie" instead of just a movie.

Another example:

The Best Man Holiday. The movie has nothing to do with race, or racial themes exclusive to Black people. However, since the cast majority black, it doesn't get the same mainstream audience as a movie with white people, despite some mainstream actors such as Terrence Howard.

Funny...

I watched "The Butler" the other day, and I didn't one time think "This sure is a good black movie."

I spent most of the time thinking "Damn... Forrest Whittaker can sure act."

Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,150 times
Let's get honest here, folks.

The standard of beauty in the world derives from primarily European features.. some Asian features often adds a touch of 'exoticism' to the base standard (especially Japanese) but that only re-inforces the rule.
If anything, except for a softening of skin color, these standards are spreading in dominance as evidenced by the prevalence of such features - like an aquiline nose, silky hair, high cheekbones, larger eyes, stronger chins - that are almost always present in non-European "lookers". The full-blooded aborigine - not a racially mixed version - will not make an appearance anywhere in a Miss Universe pageant... ever.

Perhaps the standard will relax over time, but right now the trend is actually in the other direction, as very pronounced non-white racial features are de-valued as globalization and its hand-maiden, advertising, create a cookie-cutter world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
Absolutely it would. It becomes a "Black movie" instead of just a movie.

Another example:

The Best Man Holiday. The movie has nothing to do with race, or racial themes exclusive to Black people. However, since the cast majority black, it doesn't get the same mainstream audience as a movie with white people, despite some mainstream actors such as Terrence Howard.
Yup if the cast was white it would have been biked as a romantic comedy. There were no "special" things that weren't relatable to a "mainstream" audience but if you have a black lead it is suddenly black.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:35 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
So you've never heard of Denzel Washington? John Legend? Halle Berry?

Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 PM

127 posts, read 320,115 times
Thankfully some users on here brought up the obvious racial biases that persist in Hollywood but even then you have to notice that the younger generation of Hollywood actors is much whiter than the previous generations. In the 90s you had actors like Denzel Washington, Will Smith, and others emerging. Right now you have mainly ALL White guys. One would expect that as America is becoming more racially diverse that Hollywood would get the memo and start giving lead roles to minorities but it is not, in fact it is starting to stop minorities from getting those roles.

Now I will make a comparison of things in real life.

Say you have an attractive White male, he is perceived as attractive and can date attractive women FROM ANY RACE without having any issues. He can sleep with a beautiful blonde and then an attractive Asian woman the next week. He will be told he is hot by women of all races and people of all races.

Now compare him to his brown friend who can be a surgeon making half a million with good looks, doesn't matter, he won't be dating an attractive blonde his entire life.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:31 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
I think having a black Superman would be a huge hit movie. Deep rage? Never.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I think having a black Superman would be a huge hit movie. Deep rage? Never.
Donald Glover received a lot of hate when he was up to play Spiderman in the ultimate Spiderman reboot. I think having an iconic superhero played by any minority group will incite a lot of rage and could lead to riots.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
Now compare him to his brown friend who can be a surgeon making half a million with good looks, doesn't matter, he won't be dating an attractive blonde his entire life.
Dude:

White women love black men even if the men are broke. What are you talking about?

Honestly, you sound like a minority that cannot get a date with a white woman. It may not be your racial make up. Lots of colored men get white women all the time.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Dude:

White women love black men even if the men are broke. What are you talking about?

Honestly, you sound like a minority that cannot get a date with a white woman. It may not be your racial make up. Lots of colored men get white women all the time.
read it again, said brown not black

why do people think black and brown are the same thing?

and from my experience most white women exclusively like white men and are by percentage the most inclined to only date their own race even when diversity is present

Old 02-05-2014, 04:39 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,654 times
People need to expand their world vision. Do a search on you tube on something like beautiful women of the world. As for super hero's such as superman from the beginning he was a white male. There's no need to change.

IMO I don't think a black super hero would be a big issue with the population. Kids today are not growing up with the hate that was passed down as with years ago. The old guard is dying off. Which I guess is nature's way of cleansing out mankind.

Money changes many things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty