Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,647,609 times

Advertisements

It's called Photoshop. It's used on every photo issued to the media including every single photo and ad in a magazine. They also do it in movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,960,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
It's not the point that Diane Keaton has wrinkles. At age 68 it's not surprising that people who age naturally will have them, and frankly it's quite refreshing to see a normally aging celebrity. It's that L'Oreal is using her face to sell anti-wrinkle cream and they have retouched her pictures to minimize her wrinkles way more than their cream can ever do. It's not the cream minimizing her wrinkles it's the photography. It is deceptive and in this case, to the extreme.
Perhaps, they need to come up with a way that women can walk around in flattering light all the time. Maybe, clothing that baths your face and skin in a warm flattering glow that infuses you whole body?

Frankly, i like the anti-wrinkle cream ads that use 20 something girls. At least that is truth in advertising. No retouching required as the girl is free of wrinkles!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:54 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,388,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I thought she looked awful, right from her deep wrinkles and hidden turkey neck wrinkles, down to her anorexic looking body. Nothing attractive about her at all (imo). .
Agree... I don't think she's really aged that well at all, especially her skin. I can't believe they are using her to advertise skincare products (with or without Photoshop). Hollywood women who's skin looked fantastic for their age - Meryl Streep, Jane Seymour, Helen Mirren, Sophia Loren...

Old 01-17-2014, 12:31 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
If this is in response to my Jamie Lee Curtis comment, I was referring to a spread she did with NO makeup, NO airbrushing, wasn't More Magazine. Her point was that she was a normal woman too and that makeup/airbrushing distort the image. If I'm not mistaken this was right around the time her hair was turning grey.
I'm going to try to find that one -- sounds interesting. I think the one I was referring to was around the time the Dove campaign started where they did a video of a model coming in for a shoot for a made up product. She came in clean and we got to watch the magic happen in fast time, the shoot occurring, and then the photoshopping. By the time it hit the billboard -- she didn't look like herself.

But -- this unachieveable standard so many of us hold ourselves to isn't a new phenomena. I read a number of sewing blogs and have an interest in vintage patterns. One of them was talking about the pattern drawings. When a designer creates a look on paper a figure is drawn -- it's called something like a croquette -- but I know that's wrong. Anyhow -- it's sized by using heads. This straight line they draw is nine heads high. Apparently the average woman is seven heads high. We're already screwed.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM

781 posts, read 737,862 times

This is why. As it states in this painting by Magritte, The Treachery of Images, "this is not a pipe." Which is true, this is not a pipe, it's a picture of a pipe. Think about it....

Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,069,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I thought she looked awful, right from her deep wrinkles and hidden turkey neck wrinkles, down to her anorexic looking body. Nothing attractive about her at all (imo). Agree, she is funny, witty and a good actress; I'm wondering if she was making some kind of a "No Dresses On Me" statement? I know plenty of women older than her that use no-makeup, or just BB cream and a bit of eye definition that look fabulous. In Hollywood though, everyone turns out to see the dresses and who is over the top. Have to say at this year's Golden Globe show, it seems like there was a contest as to whose boobs were hanging out more than others. Geesh. Loved most of the dresses though; and the cute short bob hairstyles on a few of those who looked like ladies.
That outfit was pure Diane Keaton and I thought she looked wonderful. She rarely wears skirts or dresses.......nothing new about that. I love the way she dresses.....she always looks classy. She isn't a slave to what a few designers say is in at the moment.....she has her own sense of style.....and usually hits it out of the ballpark, IMO.

Another thing I like about Diane's style......you CAN look good without showing a lot of skin!

Someone mentioned Jane Fonda......she has had plastic surgery. I have seen pictures of her in natural light.....and her skin looks a lot like Diane's. Remember, Jane is 8 years older than Diane.

If I ever had plastic surgery.....I would like to use Jane's plastic surgeon.....he took off years without making it obvious. Her surgery was just right.....not overdone as so many are.

As for the other actresses mentioned......they may not have had plastic surgery.....but I am willing to bet they have had fillers and botox......which Diane hasn't done.

As for those who say Diane looked bad.....well.....she looks like the average 68 year old woman you see everyday at church or in the super market, doesn't she?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:22 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,516,157 times
Commercials get edited. Miracle of Photoshop.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 PM

582 posts, read 1,120,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I don't know why Diane Keaton is getting thrown under the bus so much by this. ALL makeup commercials do airbrushing, special lenses etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Commercials get edited. Miracle of Photoshop.
I'm fully aware of this, but the level of photoshopping, airbrushing, camera filtering, etc. in her commercials borders on false advertising. I'm just making a simple observation – I'm not throwing her under the bus.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:39 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,342,899 times
There could only be one answer...

Old 01-17-2014, 04:53 PM

22,871 posts, read 6,447,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Perhaps, they need to come up with a way that women can walk around in flattering light all the time. Maybe, clothing that baths your face and skin in a warm flattering glow that infuses you whole body?

Frankly, i like the anti-wrinkle cream ads that use 20 something girls. At least that is truth in advertising. No retouching required as the girl is free of wrinkles!
Exactly! I like Diane Keaton, I am about her age, but it's sad to lure women into thinking that with
that product they too can dissolve the years and look that fresh and young, when it is not true....
(And yes, I love when they use 20 somethings to show they have no wrinkles when using the creams they
are promoting.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty