Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:43 AM

6,623 posts, read 4,984,251 times

Advertisements

Looks matter, no matter what we wish. Even being able to spot heavy makeup doesn't say whether a woman will look much worse with little or no makeup. Men really shouldn't be put in such a bind.

Anyway, something to add about the "why" - unhealthy dependence. Probably beliefs like "Real women wear makeup," which I'd expect is common in the South, or "Skin can only look great with makeup," which Cameron Diaz finally figured out isn't true.

I'll also point out that, as came to me via a TV show, phthalates are suspected of contributing to weight gain and makeup is one of the many categories where products often contain that bad stuff. Food for thought for any women who regularly wears much makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:46 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,780,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Looks matter, no matter what we wish. Even being able to spot heavy makeup doesn't say whether a woman will look much worse with little or no makeup. Men really shouldn't be put in such a bind.

Anyway, something to add about the "why" - unhealthy dependence. Probably beliefs like "Real women wear makeup," which I'd expect is common in the South, or "Skin can only look great with makeup," which Cameron Diaz finally figured out isn't true.

I'll also point out that, as came to me via a TV show, phthalates are suspected of contributing to weight gain and makeup is one of the many categories where products often contain that bad stuff. Food for thought for any women who regularly wears much makeup.
Men really shouldn't be put in a bind? Seriously? Maybe men should stop judging women solely on their looks and makeup will cease to matter as much.

You seem to have serious control issues and should probably see someone about that.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,958,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
Men really shouldn't be put in a bind? Seriously? Maybe men should stop judging women solely on their looks and makeup will cease to matter as much.

You seem to have serious control issues and should probably see someone about that.
I believe men in general give women way more leeway. Maybe the type of men you sought after are heavy on looks because they probably have it easy with women. If men are critical of women's beauty there would be less marriages and more divorces. Because so many women just far apart when they hit a certain age and we men expect that.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:12 AM

Maybe men shouldn't be men. Right. Next step is reporting posts. I don't have patience for people twisting my words around and then bashing me for it.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:33 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,780,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I believe men in general give women way more leeway. Maybe the type of men you sought after are heavy on looks because they probably have it easy with women. If men are critical of women's beauty there would be less marriages and more divorces. Because so many women just far apart when they hit a certain age and we men expect that.
Eh, I sought mostly men on my level, average to unattractive. They had even HIGHER standards than average to attractive men. Of course, they'd settle for a woman on their level, but they'd talk crap about her behind her back and lust after the younger, hotter women they could never get. It's probably the #1 thing I hated about working as a mechanic with a bunch of guys, it got old hearing about how ugly their SOs were and how hot random customers were, and what they would do to them if they had the chance.

Quote:
Maybe men shouldn't be men. Right. Next step is reporting posts. I don't have patience for people twisting my words around and then bashing me for it.
If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the fire.

Regardless, judging women on looks is fine, but you shouldn't treat them any different because of it. A woman shoudln't be denied a job or promotion because she isn't hot enough, nor should she be treated badly because you don't want to bang her.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:34 PM

120 posts, read 214,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just can't understand why women can't just go natural and not put anything on their faces. Men do not like women with clown looking faces. Just a lip gloss is good enough. This has to be a major insecurity that almost all women have to put something on before they go out.
That's what my husband and daughter says too.
I am not sure about the insecurity part. A little bit of eye makeup and lip gloss does not mean a woman is insecure with her looks.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:14 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,559,629 times
Quote:

Cameron Diaz looks ROUGH without makeup.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:17 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,559,629 times
Here's the thing, man.

Makeup exists. Since it exists, women usually need to at least slap on a minimal amount to go to work and out to social gatherings because there are other women there who WILL be wearing makeup and dudes (much like yourself) WILL judge those makeup-wearing females to be more attractive, more capable, and more qualified in pretty much every way.

I'm not talking hooker/clown makeup here. Just the basics. It's part of our business and date night attire, at MINIMUM.

Did you go out with someone who was SO good with makeup that she made you really sick when she removed it? Because, I'm impressed that she was so skilled.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:29 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,810,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Did you go out with someone who was SO good with makeup that she made you really sick when she removed it? Because, I'm impressed that she was so skilled.
It's more than just looks, people can take forever just to get ready, it gets old and annoying.

I like girls that are natural, I wish more went natural.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 PM

I haven't had, not do I expect to have, bad dating experiences with makeup-loving women. Even if I did, I wouldn't deserve personal attacks. They're against the TOS. And it's just wrong to make up stuff about people - as in my supposed approval of on-the-job discrimination.

Also, I brought up Cameron Diaz because she used to have awful skin that she hid with makeup. This year she's been on multiple TV shows describing how she fixed things. I know The Dr. Oz Show footage is online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty