Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,958,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What the heck? Just don't take well paying professional jobs so you can have a huger quality of life? SMH!

Guess what, ugly women are screwed more than short guys. Women already get 20% less than men, so the ugly woman penalty is about 35%. <b>The height of success</b> | Mail Online
Don't worry ugly women have it better than short guys because they still get jobs and maintain them better than attractive women. Because women who are attractive are in it for the quick riches ticket. As soon as they find that Mr.$$ they are done working for a living. Which is why most women bosses are typically not good looking because they don't get to retire young.

Putting on a lot of makeup for a job just makes it pleasant for men because most of us guys only get to stare and talk to guys and it's a good change having a woman around to change the mood. It doesn't really improve their career that much, it simply boosts the egos of the woman thinking that men behave differently around woman with makeup. A lot of men have a weakness around women at work they can't stop talking when there are women around. Guys like me have no weakness and if you can't get the job done what difference does your appearance bring to the table?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 AM

29,847 posts, read 34,815,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Ladies who are afraid to leave the house without makeup have low self-esteem. There are a lot of women like this, unfortunately. And ladies who wear makeup don't always have a post on their forehead saying
"it may not appear this way at all, but I have low self-esteem." Some do, some don't. Some may not know it themselves.
It has a lot to do with putting your best foot forward in public. I wear makeup, and if I leave the house without makeup on I, personally, feel that I don't look my best. It's no different than me not wearing sweatpants in public or not leaving the house with bedhead. Other women feel that they look great without it. None of us are wrong or have low self-esteem.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:41 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,775,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Don't worry ugly women have it better than short guys because they still get jobs and maintain them better than attractive women. Because women who are attractive are in it for the quick riches ticket. As soon as they find that Mr.$$ they are done working for a living. Which is why most women bosses are typically not good looking because they don't get to retire young.

Putting on a lot of makeup for a job just makes it pleasant for men because most of us guys only get to stare and talk to guys and it's a good change having a woman around to change the mood. It doesn't really improve their career that much, it simply boosts the egos of the woman thinking that men behave differently around woman with makeup. A lot of men have a weakness around women at work they can't stop talking when there are women around. Guys like me have no weakness and if you can't get the job done what difference does your appearance bring to the table?
I'm sorry, what decade is it again?

Old 01-14-2014, 02:41 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,076,439 times
I've always been amused by the irony of putting on makeup to look natural. Why buy products to do something that the face I was born with does for free? It's as funny as nude lipstick. I love my lipstick that makes it look like I'm not wearing lipstick! I'm actually not wearing lipstick and we look exactly the same! Twinsies! *hopping into the air*

But, hey. When it comes to looks, "natural" just means does a good job convincing people that's how you actually look while making you look way better than you actually look and you can't knock people for wanting that. We're just not going to have an influx of women giving up makeup any time soon. Most women aren't there yet within themselves and the media/entertainment/beauty industries aren't fostering that kind of environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You should have seen what men in the Relationships forum had to say about this idea. They hate when women go without makeup. They say most women are ugly without makeup.
That's one of the downsides of enhancements. When everyone walks around looking their best on an everyday basis, even if it's artificial, that best becomes the standard and raises the benchmark. Then what would otherwise be considered pretty is only seen as average, average is seen as ugly, and ugly is seen as downright scary.

People are surrounded by women with makeup and images of women with makeup. That does shift expectations and tastes, making it jarring when women take all of that off and are left with what's actually perfectly fine and would be appreciated as such if enhancements didn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sorry, but all but a very few women can use a little "enhancement."
Everyone, male and female, could use a little enhancement because everyone could look better than they do. Even the "most beautiful people" on the planet could be tweaked to look better in some way. The question is why women are relatively expected to look as good as possible all the time (i.e. whenever someone else has to look at them) even if they have to use unnatural means to achieve that?

The problem is making it a habit, going through life in the public eye every day dolled up with your best features highlighted and flaws concealed, because if you do that long enough, you start to feel pressured to maintain it - for men, for women, for yourself, for the world, it doesn't really matter. It's all the same psychologically because it all makes it increasingly difficult to feel good about yourself or view yourself in the most positive light without those trappings.

P.S. It's funny when people associate things like not wearing makeup or wearing sweatpants in public with you not caring about yourself and your looks. I care about myself just fine. It's the rest of y'all mutha****as I don't care about, which is precisely why I do and wear what I want in public lol

Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,909,984 times
Everyone should wear whatever makes them feel good, I agree. But I have met people who are afraid to go to the grocery store for a short trip, or to the drugstore for meds, even to bring in the newspaper, without their makeup on. That screams of insecurity!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,200,864 times
Most women need at least a little makeup, artfully applied. The female of the species is naturally less colorful.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:55 PM

LOL, speak for yourself!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,516,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Most women need at least a little makeup, artfully applied. The female of the species is naturally less colorful.
There is no such thing as NEEDING make-up, although some women may enjoy the attention it can generate.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:38 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,415,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You should have seen what men in the Relationships forum had to say about this idea. They hate when women go without makeup. They say most women are ugly without makeup.

Most places where I've lived, women do go without makeup, though. You should move to the West Coast or northern New Mexico and Colorado, if you like that look. France, too.
I guess I wouldn't need to waste time with these so called men then. Do they expect to have a long term relationship with someone who always dresses JUST for them, and who wears perfect makeup. That is hardly what a relationship is about.

Maybe why people make such different connections online. You can't see the mask, just the words. (assuming the words aren't a lie too.)

Old 01-14-2014, 06:59 PM

Ruth, I wouldn't put much stock in what men in the "Relationships" forum have to say. Most men wouldn't bother to post there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty