Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times

Advertisements

Guess I'm one of the outliers here.... I don't wear heels often, but I do have a few pairs that I'll throw on for an event. I have 2 pairs of wedge sandals that I wear with dresses during the summer (along with flip flops and regular flats), 2 pairs of black tie heels that are both very comfortable and a pair of knee high suede boots with a 4" heel that I can wear with sweater dresses in the winter.

And I'm 6'1 barefoot and don't really care what people think about it. I get a LOT of negative comments and have even been asked if I was a drag queen on more than one occasion. It always makes me laugh a bit when women who are still shorter than me while wearing 5" heels complain that they're 'too tall'. Imagine walking around like that all day while wearing flats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,477,248 times
I also don't own any high heels.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,180,309 times
Haven't worn heels for years. They ruin your back.
Who feels pressure to conform to fashion? Somebody with no sense of self. I;m 5' 10" so I never was very comfortable in heels anyway but I'm happy to say I have a daughter who is 4'11" and she doesn't wear heels either. She has some lovely flats which are very dressy.

I was once helping a friend clean out her closet when we found some beautiful scarves. She wanted to get rid of them "because they aren't in fashion any more". They were beautiful and expensive and I was astounded but happy to take them of her hands. When I wore them I got so many compliments and I still enjoy them today- fashion or not.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 AM

35,770 posts, read 21,134,823 times
we live in a free country and there is nothing wrong with the way you dress or NOT- I love to be dressed and it NOT uncomfortable to ME- to each his own or her own,, you a flip flop person- go for it,,, I am a heel person this is what I like, I live in the city, and this is what we do

Old 12-11-2013, 10:04 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,301,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
we live in a free country and there is nothing wrong with the way you dress or NOT- I love to be dressed and it NOT uncomfortable to ME- to each his own or her own,, you a flip flop person- go for it,,, I am a heel person this is what I like, I live in the city, and this is what we do
No one is attacking you for wearing heels. This thread was a response to the thread where someone stated that you're not a real woman unless you wear heels.

Which is just a silly statement. Of course women are real women in flats.

There's a multitude of reasons women don't wear heels -- and a lot of them aren't simply I Don't Like Them. A lot of us can't. For me it has nothing to do with my feet -- it's my knees. High heels make my knees ache so badly I need narcotics to relieve the pain for days after. Know how I know? My sister requested I wear heels for my nephew's wedding, and I did, and I was in screaming pain for a few days after, and after seeing the doctor, I took vicoden for four days. Doctor told me that heels aren't for me.

But just because I don't wear them doesn't mean you can't.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:31 AM

328 posts, read 466,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
No one is attacking you for wearing heels. This thread was a response to the thread where someone stated that you're not a real woman unless you wear heels.

Which is just a silly statement. Of course women are real women in flats.

There's a multitude of reasons women don't wear heels -- and a lot of them aren't simply I Don't Like Them. A lot of us can't. For me it has nothing to do with my feet -- it's my knees. High heels make my knees ache so badly I need narcotics to relieve the pain for days after. Know how I know? My sister requested I wear heels for my nephew's wedding, and I did, and I was in screaming pain for a few days after, and after seeing the doctor, I took vicoden for four days. Doctor told me that heels aren't for me.

But just because I don't wear them doesn't mean you can't.
Same here. I borrowed a pair of heels for my BF's wedding so I would look "formal" in my bridesmaid's dress...and I regretted wearing those biscuits for DAYS afterwards. I swore to my feet that I would return the offending articles as soon as possible and it would never, EVER happen again.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 AM

912 posts, read 1,527,610 times
The last time I wore heels was as a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding in July. I only bought them because she had requested we buy champagne colored dress shoes without mentioning that the wedding would be outside, otherwise I absolutely would've worn dressy sandals. I hated it.

That said, I used to wear heels much more than I do now, but my job is located downtown and all of the walking is just a non-starter in heels. I could wear flats/sneakers for my morning/evening walk and commute as I see so many women do, but why bother? Nice flats, sandals and cute flat boots are all I need.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:34 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,293,552 times
I got picked as a hostess for one of the Comicon dinners. I had this really snazzy dress, with my hair up and wore moderate heels. It was neat that most of those I know didn't actually recognize me (and it was an awesome dress) but at the dance that followed I *carried* my shoes the rest of the night my feet hurt so much. It was a wonderful dance, sixties revival, and I danced a lot. NO shoes. Right way to dance...

I at one point removed all the shoes with heals and gave them away. The boots with inch to two inch solid heels I still have, but its hard to walk in them. Clogs or the more gradual kind make me lose my balance so I don't have any of them. But all my shoes which start out flat end up with a negagive heal as I roll my foot heal first.

Where I live now, I wear boots. I have knock off Uggs on now, needing foot warmers the floor is soooo cold. My old pair are for using in the yard. When the whole house has smooth floring I'll try barefoot in the summer inside. Now the old hardwood is uncomfortable. Outside its just better to wear something which keeps things from crawlign up and biting you.

I view shoes as utilitaran. Boots now, well, actually I have a lot of them and LOVE them dearly. My goal is lace up to the knee, faire boots. REAL leather this time. yummy. We all have our own likes... And they are flats.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 AM

35,770 posts, read 21,134,823 times
If your feet are not accustomed to it, they will hurt, but if you ever have to wear them, try to wet inside and blow dry them ON- to crack em open- NEW heels are bad news, just as are new sneakers, I bought a pr once to walk 15 miles- 12 miles I did barefoot! and threw them away. best shoes of any type- one shaped already to feet!

Old 12-12-2013, 09:54 AM

361 posts, read 726,382 times
The comment from the previous thread was of course ridiculous. There are plenty of women out there who cannot stand high heels for different reasons and that doesn't make them less of a woman. (For the women who think that it's silly to wear high heels I hope they keep their opinion for themselves and don't go around sharing it with those who wear them).

I'm so used to wearing high heels that I don't feel pain anymore (given that it's some good quality shoes). My 2nd or third job in college was at a well known clothing store and they didn't play with the dress code. The manager was like "you've got to wear those heels eventhough your feet will hurt at the end of the day". We had to "look good" for the brand. I'm laughing at it now just thinking about it lol. I loved their clothes and loved to dress up anyways (and I still do) so it didn't really bother me at the time. As the years went by, I just got used to wearing heels and I rarely wear flats.

I try to switch from time to times though, because I don't want to end up with a painful back when I get old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty