Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,776,963 times

Advertisements

Phil Robertson carries one. It's fabric camoflage. He keeps all the duck call models that they build in it and his bible. Check him out on youtube.
Duck Commander Phil Robertson Talks About Why This Country Needs More Jesus - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,635,402 times
To each their own. I carry a soft briefcase to work each day and pack all of my stuff for the day in it.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,552,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
I did numerous searches on this topic with a variety of key words and found nothing.

For my upcoming reloc I decided I was in need of an organizer for all my travel related accessories because I soon realized I wouldn't be able to walk with overstuffed pockets and some items could get lost or damaged in a suitcase: hence, the man bag. A couple of Google searches landed me some great ideas and I've started to entertain the idea of carrying one all the time.

At some point in history, men and women alike carried a coin purse, when did society decide men needed pockets instead? On any given day, here is what I typically have on me:

-loose change
-wallet
-phone
-pill container (for allergies, etc.)
-headphones
-keys (very damaging to pockets)
-phone charger
-eye drops
-pen
-scraps of paper containing various notes/reminders
-breath mints
-and a couple other things depending on event/time of year like an inhaler during allergy season or coupons needed for the days shopping

I'm also increasingly carrying around my Ipad mini.

Keep in mind our problems multiply during warmer weather when wearing shorts. Cargo shorts exist I know, but even those look ridiculous when loaded up and sag due to the weight; they're also not appropriate for every occasion.

To me it seems like a no brainer and I am beginning to like the idea of having a small bag to haul everything when a gym bag or backpack would be out of place.

So I'm curious if perceptions have evolved with the times. Does a man with a purse come off as weird, gay, or metro? If you're a guy, would you carry one if you had need for it? If you're a woman, would you date a guy with one?

Edit to add: I live in the city and don't usually own a vehicle, so my needs are different than they would be if I had a car.
Not at all really...there are cool messenger/manpurse bags out there that are not too small or big which suits most guys who need to carry a few of the essential things. I am thinking about getting this bag for $32. You can strap it around your shoulder or just carry it like a "purse".

OR $25 for this

Last edited by JL; 03-31-2014 at 08:29 PM..

Old 04-01-2014, 07:59 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,675,094 times
I am really starting to take notice of this "bag" thing.
Almost every man, guy, young man I seem to see is carrying some sort of bag / back pack / nap sack, whatever you want to call it..... be it small, medium or large....

I see the male workers walk from the subway to our office and almost every male is carrying some sort of bag.

Times change, it seems now a days, men have just as much to carry as women. It is only a big deal to those that make it a big deal. I don't think it looks "odd" if a many carry's a bag, besides, who cares...

logically thinking, what is such a big deal about a man carrying a bag?? because decades ago, "they" said it wasn't normal.......????? please, time to grow up, and get over it.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Richards View Post
Pinkantari is correct.
Men don't need all that much.
They don't carry a purse load of crap like most of us sometimes do.
WALLET/WRISTWATCH/WEDDING RING/CELLPHONE/KEYS/Loose change, etc /SMALL COMB.
The four pockets that are traditional in mens' trousers are more than adequate for this task.
The only things that go in a guy's pockets are WALLET in one back pocket, keys in one front pocket, cellphone in another front pocket, a comb and maybe a ballpoint pen in either front pocket. The other rear pocket can serve for loose change. Some guys do like their loose change to go in a front pocket.
Still, there is more than enough room in those traditional four trouser pockets.
Gentlemen who wear blazers & jackets have the interior jacket pockets for such things as boarding passes, tickets, passport, etc.
Men who play tennis, or golf or even those who bowl, have related gear which handles everything one could imagine as far as storage/zipper pockets on those specific equipment carry bags.
Traditional shorts also have the four standard trouser pockets.
Even running shorts have one ample zipper pocket that carries most everything one might need while running.
Tennis shorts have the standard four trouser pockets and the two front pockets have openings large enough for tennis balls.
Just what is the need for a doofus manbag?
Briefcases are more than functional for business and professional needs.
One does not need those hideous cargo shorts and cargo pants UNLESS one is a CARPENTER/CONSTRUCTION WORKER/etc and needs to carry screws and nails and fasteners, etc.
One can see the functionality for them, or perhaps the ORANGE/CAMO hunting attire with cargo pockets, as there is need there.
Guys just don't need to carry that much stuff. Any guys that need bags to carry their makeup and hairbrushes and hairspray, etc might need to rethink because they don't need to carry all that stuff.
Portable stereo devices are tiny today. It isn't as if the guy needs to carry around five or six 8track tapes or cassettes, or even CD's.
So what do they need the massive pocket space for? their bottle of Mad-Dog, MD-20/20, or 1/5 of Jack Daniels, or three "oil cans" of FOSTERS beer or five Budweiser cans?
Yeah, the sloppy slob, baggy cargo shorts/cargo pants look makes most guys, especially those who are poorly groomed and don't shave daily, look like homeless people who might live under a bridge in a cardboard box tent. Yeah, the wrinkled (un-ironed) baggy, sloppy homeless look on guy with a manbag for all his stuff. I guess the manbag is needed since SAFEWAY & KROGER shopping cart wranglers don't usually allow people to take the shopping cart.

this is your opinion, not everyone else's.

who cares what you think men should carry. since when have you become an authority on what men should and could carry???

you gotta be kidding........

and your not even a man, which makes you even less of an authority on what men should carry.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
this is your opinion, not everyone else's.

who cares what you think men should carry. since when have you become an authority on what men should and could carry???

you gotta be kidding........

and your not even a man, which makes you even less of an authority on what men should carry.
I have no idea why a guy would have to carry a bag and I am qualified to state that.

Let me qualify that as well. I see women with hand bags, clutches, or what ever they call their purse. My wife is a collector of said instrument so I know a little bit about them. What would a man need that a woman keeps in there that they can not keep in a wallet or in a pocket?

I also see women with laptop bags, lunch bags, or something similar. I have no problem with that if a man is going to carry a laptop or bring a lunch. That would not be the same as a purse though.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 AM

29,561 posts, read 14,708,717 times
I just returned from a week in Grand Cayman and saw MANY men carrying bags/packs. I myself have carried one for the past year in a half. A few months ago I was finally able to get my Saddleback Leather large satchel. I've added a couple of custom pouches and a water bottle holder and so far it has served me well. No more questioning looks because I'm carrying a "tactical" pack like before.

Shop Leather Satchel | Saddleback Leather Co.

LeatherWerk

For the record, I work 37 miles from where I live and being in MI the winters can be bad. I carry a medi kit, MRE, my daily lunch, coffee mug or water bottle, contact lenses/solution, chargers for my phone and tablet, field notes notebook, pen, leatherman, folding knife, and on occasion spare mags and my firearm when I cannot have them on my body. Basically I want to be able to make it home or out of a situation if the SHTF.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have no idea why a guy would have to carry a bag and I am qualified to state that.

Let me qualify that as well. I see women with hand bags, clutches, or what ever they call their purse. My wife is a collector of said instrument so I know a little bit about them. What would a man need that a woman keeps in there that they can not keep in a wallet or in a pocket?

I also see women with laptop bags, lunch bags, or something similar. I have no problem with that if a man is going to carry a laptop or bring a lunch. That would not be the same as a purse though.

to keep his stuff in

is that really hard to comprehend?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:52 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,692,266 times
If you dont have a car and have to take an assortment of items with you everywhere you go then I can see a stylish bag being a lot more practical than, say, a wal-mart bag.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:54 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,921,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Richards View Post
Pinkantari is correct.
Men don't need all that much.
They don't carry a purse load of crap like most of us sometimes do.
WALLET/WRISTWATCH/WEDDING RING/CELLPHONE/KEYS/Loose change, etc /SMALL COMB.
The four pockets that are traditional in mens' trousers are more than adequate for this task.
The only things that go in a guy's pockets are WALLET in one back pocket, keys in one front pocket, cellphone in another front pocket, a comb and maybe a ballpoint pen in either front pocket. The other rear pocket can serve for loose change. Some guys do like their loose change to go in a front pocket.
Still, there is more than enough room in those traditional four trouser pockets.
Gentlemen who wear blazers & jackets have the interior jacket pockets for such things as boarding passes, tickets, passport, etc.
Men who play tennis, or golf or even those who bowl, have related gear which handles everything one could imagine as far as storage/zipper pockets on those specific equipment carry bags.
Traditional shorts also have the four standard trouser pockets.
Even running shorts have one ample zipper pocket that carries most everything one might need while running.
Tennis shorts have the standard four trouser pockets and the two front pockets have openings large enough for tennis balls.
Just what is the need for a doofus manbag?
Briefcases are more than functional for business and professional needs.
One does not need those hideous cargo shorts and cargo pants UNLESS one is a CARPENTER/CONSTRUCTION WORKER/etc and needs to carry screws and nails and fasteners, etc.
One can see the functionality for them, or perhaps the ORANGE/CAMO hunting attire with cargo pockets, as there is need there.
Guys just don't need to carry that much stuff. Any guys that need bags to carry their makeup and hairbrushes and hairspray, etc might need to rethink because they don't need to carry all that stuff.
Portable stereo devices are tiny today. It isn't as if the guy needs to carry around five or six 8track tapes or cassettes, or even CD's.
So what do they need the massive pocket space for? their bottle of Mad-Dog, MD-20/20, or 1/5 of Jack Daniels, or three "oil cans" of FOSTERS beer or five Budweiser cans?
Yeah, the sloppy slob, baggy cargo shorts/cargo pants look makes most guys, especially those who are poorly groomed and don't shave daily, look like homeless people who might live under a bridge in a cardboard box tent. Yeah, the wrinkled (un-ironed) baggy, sloppy homeless look on guy with a manbag for all his stuff. I guess the manbag is needed since SAFEWAY & KROGER shopping cart wranglers don't usually allow people to take the shopping cart.
Keeping stuff in your pockets is uncomfortable and just inconvenient. What about men who carry their laptop or tablet? Engineering drawings? Sketchpads?

Why are you OK with a briefcase but not a bag? Because they have different names even though they serve the same purpose? I don't carry much, but when I do I don't like briefcases but I do like the flexibility of a nice leather shoulder bag. It works just as well for casual traveling (camera, tablet, ipod, etc.) or for business (laptop, notebook, etc.) and just looks better to me.

I'm sorry you know me best though and would prefer I just cram everything in my pockets during the times I am carrying extra items.

I don't carry a bag when I need it but when I do I have no problems and don't care whether anyone else thinks it's stupid or wonders what I carry in my bag. If someone is ignorant enough or not creative enough to think of any possible reasons why I might be carrying a bag that day, they probably aren't someone whose opinion matters to me in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty