Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Yuck. No. Why would a man want to carry around a huge SQUARE?? Kenneth Cole has some great man-bags as does Armani and they're not overly expensive and they look great/classy/manly.
Apparently from the video some do. Saddleback has other bag products though. They sell leather briefcases and luggage etc. I just showed that smaller carrying case because it was kind of small.

I don't carry "man-bags" so I don't really know about Kenneth Cole or Armani either. I'm not metro sexual either. I don't even carry a wallet. I have none of the dilemmas of some of you.

Although, I do like some of the Saddleback's products. Apparently I'm not alone as their products sell with men as seen from many of their review videos on youtube.

Everyone has their own tastes though. So, one should buy what they like. I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 09:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
I did numerous searches on this topic with a variety of key words and found nothing.

For my upcoming reloc I decided I was in need of an organizer for all my travel related accessories because I soon realized I wouldn't be able to walk with overstuffed pockets and some items could get lost or damaged in a suitcase: hence, the man bag. A couple of Google searches landed me some great ideas and I've started to entertain the idea of carrying one all the time.

At some point in history, men and women alike carried a coin purse, when did society decide men needed pockets instead? On any given day, here is what I typically have on me:

-loose change
-wallet
-phone
-pill container (for allergies, etc.)
-headphones
-keys (very damaging to pockets)
-phone charger
-eye drops
-pen
-scraps of paper containing various notes/reminders
-breath mints
-and a couple other things depending on event/time of year like an inhaler during allergy season or coupons needed for the days shopping

I'm also increasingly carrying around my Ipad mini.

Keep in mind our problems multiply during warmer weather when wearing shorts. Cargo shorts exist I know, but even those look ridiculous when loaded up and sag due to the weight; they're also not appropriate for every occasion.

To me it seems like a no brainer and I am beginning to like the idea of having a small bag to haul everything when a gym bag or backpack would be out of place.

So I'm curious if perceptions have evolved with the times. Does a man with a purse come off as weird, gay, or metro? If you're a guy, would you carry one if you had need for it? If you're a woman, would you date a guy with one?

Edit to add: I live in the city and don't usually own a vehicle, so my needs are different than they would be if I had a car.
I see men using backpacks and messenger bags all the time.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with carrying some type of bag for all of life's necessities; life changes and we evolve accordingly.

These seem to be on the expensive side but some of them are nice looking.

Designers Mens Business Bags, Travel Bags, and Tote Bags from Coach

Found this at Modern Man Bags...not too shabby and inexpensive as well.

Bag Type - Crossbody Bags - ModernManBags.com

Hey, I like that bag. Not for daily use but for daily use on a trip somewhere... a month long or more visit to Asia or something.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Wow... really shows how much things have changed. If this scene were in a TV show today there would be so much outrage. I was surprised such things could be said on tv (even if he just spelled out the most offensive word).
He does say it at 1:21.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:46 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
"Manbags?" I'm still getting over that stuff about "manzieres" on Seinfeld. Looking around these days, that makes sense.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:52 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Ditto the suggestion of a messenger bag. They're a bit sharper and more convenient than a backpack but don't look like a purse.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I really do wish men would start carrying man bags more often - it's RIDICULOUS not to with all the extra accessories and electronics that people have these days, let along big keys (rather than the little keys we used to have - now our electronic keys do all sorts of stuff besides open a door), "thank you" or loyalty cards in addition to a license/ID, sunglasses, debit and credit cards, breath mints (please carry those!), etc.

Not only does this make sense, it is much more preferable to me than having my husband ask me to load all that stuff in MY purse to lug around when we're out shopping or running around! And it's ridiculous and weird looking and uncomfortable and hard on clothes to weigh down pants pockets with all that, or try to clip a bunch of stuff to a belt.

JUST CARRY A NICE LEATHER BAG, dudes!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 AM

892 posts, read 1,499,892 times
I still don't understand the _need_ to carry around an entire desk drawer worth of stuff with you every where you go, when most people couldn't even tell you when 95% of that "absolutely, gotta have it!" stuff was even last touched other than to move it out of the way when digging for something else, lol. Was always a source of endless entertainment watching my SO dig through her purse, commenting "so THAT'S where that was! I've been looking for it for weeks!"

Old 10-06-2013, 01:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
The "need..." OK, I need my keys. I need my wallet. I need my sunglasses - and since they're nice ones, I need to carry them in their case. I need my phone. I need my powder compact and my lip gloss. I need my pen and a little notepad (I take care of a lot of business on the run and that's the best way for me to jot down notes).

THEN my husband - who NEEDS a man bag - is constantly asking me to "hold" his sunglasses, his keys, his receipts, his phone, etc.

So...I "need" a purse. And so does my husband, though we won't call it that!

Old 10-06-2013, 02:12 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,104 times
Not you necessarily KofA, but I've always marveled that women would let men use THEM to carry the husband's/boyfriend's stuff.

On one hand the woman usually has a purse anyway. So I DO get that she can carry one little thing more for the hubby. But sometimes it's ridiculous. The man doesn't want to carry a lot of stuff himself. But when he wants something he sure asks the wife for a pen, or paper, mints, gum, or a tissue.

Get a bag, a tote, a backpack, briefcase, messenger bag -- and carry your own stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty