Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 05:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,756,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
At the risk of sounding like C-D's resident curmudgeon, I must ask everyone why did humankind invent boots, athletic shoes and other styles of robust footwear in the first place? As far as I'm concerned the answer is simple. The world is an inhospitable place for bare feet. Animals have much more natural protection built into their claws, paws and hoofs. Humans don't.
Actually, footwear evolved as protection from cold first and foremost.

Primitive peoples, even in the supposedly "inhospitable" tropics still go barefoot.

Even the advanced (for their time) Greeks and Egyptians didn't wear shoes by and large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 06:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I still don't understand how people walk in them. How do you keep them on your feet? Sort of grip your toes or what? Doesn't that give you cramps?
Watch an old Asian woman wearing them. Her ancestors wore them. There's a shuffle. The secret is to not take your foot too far off the ground. Speed cannot be important if you're wearing flip flops.

When I was a kid I gripped them with my toes. I now do the old Asian woman shuffle (time takes its toll) since I will not be giving up my flip flops just because a lot of people seem to think no one ever washes their feet (I do) and everyone lives where the sidewalks are disgusting (thankfully, I don't).

Old 09-03-2013, 07:37 PM

484 posts, read 762,482 times
I wear flip flops daily and gripping them with my toes isn't anything I have ever had to do.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,044,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Watch an old Asian woman wearing them. Her ancestors wore them. There's a shuffle. The secret is to not take your foot too far off the ground. Speed cannot be important if you're wearing flip flops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatem View Post
I wear flip flops daily and gripping them with my toes isn't anything I have ever had to do.
I don't either. I read an article the other week that was about how flip flops are bad for your feet, and one of the main reasons is because your toes end up deformed from always "gripping" at your shoe. Since I read that article, I've paid more attention to how I walk in flip flops, and have never found my toes gripping. I walk the same way I would walk if I were wearing tennis shoes. There is no Gripping, or shuffling. I've never tripped from wearing flip flops, and I have no problem running in them if I need to.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,044,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I always called them "thongs" until thong underwear came to be. The looks one gets when they say they love wearing thongs can be hilarious.
I was over at my parents the other day and my dad called from the other room for me to get my thongs on and come outside. It took me a second to realize what he was talking about. Like I know we're a close family and everything, but I don't want to talk about my underwear and I certainty don't want to be showing it off outside.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 PM

15,542 posts, read 10,528,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Does anyone else have a problem with how often their kids want to wear flip flips? We were getting ready to go to the store this morning and then come home to go to church when I saw that my daughter had on her flip flips. Typical wear to the pool and back flip flops. I've told her before these are not to be worn as shoes and she still keeps wearing them. I don't like it. I think they're bad for your feet to keep wearing them as shoes, not to mention being no protection at all.

My wife thinks I should pick my battles wisely. I've told her this is a battle that needs choosing. So what do you folks say?
Get your kids some Reef flip flops, the ones with arch support. Adidas makes a soccer flip flop with good support. Neither of those brands should be bad for their feet (we've been wearing them for years, no problems).

Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 PM

18,481 posts, read 31,678,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was over at my parents the other day and my dad called from the other room for me to get my thongs on and come outside. It took me a second to realize what he was talking about. Like I know we're a close family and everything, but I don't want to talk about my underwear and I certainty don't want to be showing it off outside.
we called them thongs back in the 70's.

i am guessing i am around your dads age then, as i do have grown sons.

LOL

Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 PM

10,177 posts, read 20,800,438 times
I'm on the side of the OP. I only wear flip flops to the beach or in the backyard. I have a friend who is 40 and he insists on going everywhere in flip-flops. Ridiculous. Young adults should learn how to dress themselves early so they aren't walking around at the age of 40 like a frat boy.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:03 PM

58 posts, read 146,465 times
I hate the look of flip flops BUT my Rainbows are one of the most comfortable pair ever. I wish all my other shoes felt like those.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM

88,671 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't either. I read an article the other week that was about how flip flops are bad for your feet, and one of the main reasons is because your toes end up deformed from always "gripping" at your shoe. Since I read that article, I've paid more attention to how I walk in flip flops, and have never found my toes gripping. I walk the same way I would walk if I were wearing tennis shoes. There is no Gripping, or shuffling. I've never tripped from wearing flip flops, and I have no problem running in them if I need to.
That's so weird. They just don't stay on my feet. No shoes without backs do. Remember clogs? I couldn't wear them either. It takes such an effort to walk in them.

With backless shoes, only the front of the foot is in the shoe. As soon as I take a step, the shoe comes off. Nothing is holding them on to the rest of the foot.

I'm going to start watching how other people walk, lol. Maybe I have to learn to shuffle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty