Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:52 AM

728 posts, read 1,902,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Easy fix, throw them out and do not purchase more.
This can happen if you are the adult and she is the child and your wife stands beside you on this issue.
I totally agree. It is our responsibility as parents to make the right decisions for our kids until they are old enough and mature enough to make those decisions on their own. I have a 5 year old and 7 year old and I am sure they would love to spend all day in their flip flops and Crocs but due to the type of environment in which we live (the mountains) it's simply not feasible. When they go play outside in their flip flops or Crocs they tend to trip easily on rocks and after a short time playing outside their feet become absolutely filthy.

When we go to the beach or the lake or water parks we all take our sandals and wear them when we get there. That's what they were made for. In order to protect our feet when we are out and about at theme parks or the market or anywhere else we wear shoes. The kids know this and obey the rules that I have set for them. Call me old fashioned but that's how I was raised. My dad told us that we wear our dressy shoes for church and our sneakers for play. We didn't question it.

Personally I can't stand flip flops. Seems that the ones that wear them all the time are also the ones with the ugliest feet too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 11:44 AM

37,702 posts, read 46,130,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I have a hard time walking in this type of flip flop: Oldnavy.com | Old Navy
Agreed. The only time I wear this type is at the bathhouse when camping or in the locker room at the gym. "Shower shoes"...if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
But not this type, which is similar to what I wear just about daily:

I think it's the thickness of the straps and the support of the sole.
Yep. Reefs are my personal fave, but Rainbows and OluKai are just as good. OluKai has a pair I REALLY want...but just don't need them bad enough to spend the money right now.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,055,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
IMO Flip Flops are basically beach wear, to wear them full-time strikes me as some one too lazy to put on a pair of sneakers/shoes, if one wants an open shoe a quality pair of leather sandals is the way to go,Flip flops outside the home or a general beach or country cottage environment is so......trailer trash.
Curious as to why you see flip flops as lazy, but leather sandals wouldn't be when they take the same amount of effort to put on. I wear flip flops or sandals in the summertime because my feet get hot, so wearing sneakers is uncomfortable. I would rather my feet not be sweaty all day.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 AM

747 posts, read 1,684,803 times
I live in flip flops, but I live in the south at the beach. Even when I didn't I lived in flip flops...would even exercise (walk miles at a time with a high arch) and i'm perfectly fine. I've worn nothing but flip flops in the summer(some times even the winter) for about 15 years and i'm perfectly fine. Seems kind of odd to not want a kid to wear flip flops...I see them every single day of my life on every person walking by me. In fact if a person don't wear them around here, they tend to be a little odd. I don't really see a problem with them, seems a silly thing to get upset over or not want someone to wear....agree, pick your battles i'm sure there will be other more important ones to fight with a teenage daughter, believe my parents had their hands full with me when I was a teen.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:11 AM

17 posts, read 23,337 times
Default The Truth On Flipflops:

The appropriateness really depends on how & when they are worn by others in the community. For example, at my high school everyone wore Rainbow flipflops with EVERYTHING. They were acceptable footwear for school, a run to the store, with jeans, shorts, anything. Now rubber pool flipflops are different. But as long as they are somewhat sturdy & nice (as far as flipflops go) I thin it is fine to wear with most everyday outfits a kid would be wearing.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:01 AM

513 posts, read 738,813 times
Default See yesterday's WSJ (9/17/13) Health Problems Underfoot

In this article, under the photo "Sole Stressors" it specifically states 1. heels 2. distance running, 3. flimsy shoes--with a picture of flip-flops! and 4. standing for long periods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty