Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 05:05 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,962 times

Advertisements

Years ago (back in my dating years), I would have thought "Racist Skinhead" when I saw a shaved head. Now, it seems as though it is in fashion. And, though I think some guys can pull it off quite well, I think that a guy still has to watch they don't have the look afterward like that of the typical "skinhead". I just don't know if there is a way to affect those that look that way to NOT look that way though.

I don't know if this helps, but you have my nickel of nonsense on the matter just the same.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:36 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,475,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Years ago (back in my dating years), I would have thought "Racist Skinhead" when I saw a shaved head. Now, it seems as though it is in fashion. And, though I think some guys can pull it off quite well, I think that a guy still has to watch they don't have the look afterward like that of the typical "skinhead". I just don't know if there is a way to affect those that look that way to NOT look that way though.

I don't know if this helps, but you have my nickel of nonsense on the matter just the same.

Hopefully we continue to evolve as a society and don't judge a book by it's cover. Generally it isn't the attire or the outer appearance that denotes one's prejudicial thoughts it's their words and actions.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:42 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I often wonder why I didn't shave my head long before. I was starting to thin a little up on top and front, and it was my girl who requested I shave it down. I relented and got it cut shorter than usual (about a 2 guard) and liked it. Then I figured "Why not?", and asked her to just shave it down with a razor with no guard. I think it looks great, and she gets positively randy when she gets done shaving me because she loves how it looks. It works even better with just about an equal length of scruff on the face.

Think Jason Statham.
Yup I would not think he was hot with hair.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,916,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Not sure why so many people let a comment like this slide.
If I were to refer to a dark skinned person as "black trash" that wouldn't go down too well now would it?
I have never used that term, nore do I intend to. Nore do I intend or use the term white thrash.

Leave out the skin colour comment and you have an insult and its purely an insult. However, you are making a comment about a persons skin colour, followed by an insult. That is racism in my book.
Agreed. Shaves heads are no indication of class or not. Jason Statham's job is to make (action) movies. The characters he chooses are not representative of the type of person he is. Seems like he is very private.

The "white trash" comment is very representative of how people are quick to put a liable on someone because of an element of their appearance they do not like.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:18 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,601,200 times
I buzz mine short. It's a lot easier and more consistent then trying to get to the barber every two weeks. Not mention it's free.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:08 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,409,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
It looks stupid on a white guy .
I beg to differ.

I love bald-headed men.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Hopefully we continue to evolve as a society and don't judge a book by it's cover. Generally it isn't the attire or the outer appearance that denotes one's prejudicial thoughts it's their words and actions.
I'm not sure if I sent the wrong message in my post. My post should not have been seen as much as a judgement of a book by its cover. In the 80s, if a white man shaved their head on purpose, it mostly was done as a statement of white supremacy in the young adult populations. Back then, it was a very big deal and those who were white and prematurely bald had to bear scrutiny at times.

White Gangs

It wasn't so long ago that my generation wouldn't remember it, so I mentioned it in the event the younger generations perhaps unaware of this "phase" were hit with funny looks or remarks from the older generations . This way they may understand where it comes from and avoid the skinhead look. Maybe that was an overstep of advice.

I like to keep up to date on the trends in music, fashion and thought, so I do remain connected with the world in the present day. I know that it is very popular to shave heads now, and I believe it is an elegant solution to those with thinning or pattern baldness. Even those without balding can enjoy a shiny head!

It just hit me wrong and made me cringe when reading your post where you believed it involved any lack of evolved thought. Personally, I don't embrace your belief that evolved thinking is on the rise and I'm very sad it isn't. I feel more hate in this country now than ever.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:13 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,475,330 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if I sent the wrong message in my post. My post should not have been seen as much as a judgement of a book by its cover. In the 80s, if a white man shaved their head on purpose, it mostly was done as a statement of white supremacy in the young adult populations. Back then, it was a very big deal and those who were white and prematurely bald had to bear scrutiny at times.

White Gangs

It wasn't so long ago that my generation wouldn't remember it, so I mentioned it in the event the younger generations perhaps unaware of this "phase" were hit with funny looks or remarks from the older generations . This way they may understand where it comes from and avoid the skinhead look. Maybe that was an overstep of advice.

I like to keep up to date on the trends in music, fashion and thought, so I do remain connected with the world in the present day. I know that it is very popular to shave heads now, and I believe it is an elegant solution to those with thinning or pattern baldness. Even those without balding can enjoy a shiny head!

It just hit me wrong and made me cringe when reading your post where you believed it involved any lack of evolved thought. Personally, I don't embrace your belief that evolved thinking is on the rise and I'm very sad it isn't. I feel more hate in this country now than ever.
I believed nothing of the sort by your post, you didn't give that impression, in fact, I remember that time and for a while had similar reactions back then. Not to say if there is a combination of the shaved head and the heavy black boots and a few other tell tail signs I might not wonder. But when I used your post I was just saying, HOPEFULLY, and I do realize, not all, but in my life's experience, some people are intellectually growing in the way they view themselves others and how their attitudes and words affect those around them. I have to keep having faith in those individuals and not base my opinions on what I've come to observe on sites like this for one where peoples express their seething dislike for anyone that isn't much like them in how they look, walk, talk or live, never mind just have a shaved head.

You were and continue making some great points.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:37 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Years ago (back in my dating years), I would have thought "Racist Skinhead" when I saw a shaved head. Now, it seems as though it is in fashion.
That's what I tend to think. I call it "the Russian Mafia look". Naturally bald is ok. I don't like the shaved-head look, and have no idea how it became fashionable. Receding hair doesn't look bad at all. Or a growing bald patch in the back--also not a big deal. Maybe the only stage when it might look better to shave it (not sure), is when it gets so thin that it's down to a few wisps that struggle to maintain a comb-over.

But hey, that's just me.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I believed nothing of the sort by your post, you didn't give that impression, in fact, I remember that time and for a while had similar reactions back then. Not to say if there is a combination of the shaved head and the heavy black boots and a few other tell tail signs I might not wonder. But when I used your post I was just saying, HOPEFULLY, and I do realize, not all, but in my life's experience, some people are intellectually growing in the way they view themselves others and how their attitudes and words affect those around them. I have to keep having faith in those individuals and not base my opinions on what I've come to observe on sites like this for one where peoples express their seething dislike for anyone that isn't much like them in how they look, walk, talk or live, never mind just have a shaved head.

You were and continue making some great points.
You are so nice to come back and set my mind at ease. I suppose I need to do better at not becoming cynical, and having just come back from a long break from C-D, I remember why taking a long break was a good thing.

I need to lighten up!

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty