Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:45 AM

229 posts, read 879,266 times

Advertisements

Last night a group of us were talking and this subject came up thanks to my neighbor who is a high school english teacher. She mentioned the rather large number of guys in her classes who sports not only a shaved/bald head now but goatees and even black tattoos. I have to admit I have noticed the same thing plus cigar smoking too among those who who sport such things.

OK why is the shaved head-goatee-tattooed look so popular among those in the 20's and 30's? When did this look become popular? My guess it would be wrestler Bill Goldberg ten years ago. He had all of that plus I can remember seeing photos of him seen smoking a cigar too however before Goldberg I don't recall that look being popular. Yes, Telly Savalas was bald and was considered very sexy by many but Kojak didn't sport tattoos up and down his arms no did he sport a goatee either.

After working in broadcasting for so many years I have heard many of stories of men going bald who did anything and everything to keep their hair. Now this very same look is popping up on local TV newscasts such as Denver's Ken Clark on FOX 31, though I don't know if Clark has any tats. And according to my brother, its the same in the gay community too as Boyd Somers is one of their biggest adult film stars..bald head, goatee, black tattoos and cigars.

Is all of this a "fad" or will it be around for a long time?

Old 04-29-2010, 12:47 AM

905 posts, read 2,401,280 times
The "bro's" are to blame

UFC obsessed, steroid shooting, jagerbomb drinking morons

Oh wait, can't forget the Ed Hardy gear...

Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Cause they're all BLUFF. They watch way too much tv--imho.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I don't care for goatees, but I infinitely prefer a shorn head and neatly kept goatee to the scruffy, greasy mess that some guys have going on.

Photos of Zach Galifianakis

Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
The "bro's" are to blame

UFC obsessed, steroid shooting, jagerbomb drinking morons

Oh wait, can't forget the Ed Hardy gear...
And there you have it.

It's the UFC, Tapout, Chuck Lidell (he's from where I live and there are a lot of locals who worship him) wannabes etc.

They also usually have a lifted truck with giant TAPOUT or METAL MULISHA stickers on them as well.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 16,876 times
Default The modern day mullet.

I actually came across this thread while searching for "shaved head with goatee". People that sport this look are generally in the same demographic as people with mullets. Much like the mullet, the shaved head with goatee look should be stopped. It would not surprise me one bit if the fashion was worn in an ironic manner by hipsters in a few years.

p.s. I agree about the UFC, Ed Hardy, etc. Sometimes I think of them as "Toughy McFighterton".

Old 04-29-2010, 01:04 PM

229 posts, read 879,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lface00 View Post
I actually came across this thread while searching for "shaved head with goatee". People that sport this look are generally in the same demographic as people with mullets. Much like the mullet, the shaved head with goatee look should be stopped. It would not surprise me one bit if the fashion was worn in an ironic manner by hipsters in a few years.

I agree with you but if major television stations like Denver's FOX 31 KDVR and others I am sure who allow their people to appear in FRONT of the camera with the shaved head-goatee look, I do have to wonder if this "fad" will last for many years longer.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:26 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
Having a goatee makes most dudes not look as fat. Since most dudes are fat nowadays, hence the goatee. The shaved head is just in fashion right now. Just like having spikey hair was cool 10 years ago and having long hair was cool 5 years ago.

And no, I don't have a goatee and shaved head. I would like awful like that, I'm as clean cut looking as you can get minus some long sideburns.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Men with a shaved head usually sport some sort of facial hair so as to give some sort of balance.

I have a shaved head also, tatts, with a close cropped beard....I do not however smoke cigars.
The facial hair takes away the starkness of the hairless head.

But since I was balding this look works really well.......yay !!!!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:54 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Ugh, I personally hate shaved heads, tattoos and smoking... so guess I am lucky that I am middle aged now and not "looking"

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty