Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 PM

597 posts, read 1,147,569 times

Advertisements

I previously posted here regarding my endeavor to improve my appearance. For those who are unfamiliar with my situation here is a link to my previous post: https://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...prove-his.html

My goal is to improve my appearance to the point where I would be able to have a chance with the young lady of my dreams. For all who have not previously read; this girl rejected me when we were in high school. We graduated in May.

More than one person on CD has suggested the possibility of utilizing reconstructive surgery, to improve my appearance.

My question today is whether or not anyone here has heard of any teenagers (I am 19) who have experienced success with such a procedure, and if so what exactly it entails?

I have heard of many older adults who have utilized this type of surgery, and experienced mixed results. How effective would this be for someone my age?

I do not want to make any type of serious investment without the input of others who have used/or are familiar with this.

Thanks in advance for your input on this matter.

PS: Any feedback on the potential cost of such an operation would be most helpful as well.

(NOTE: I currently cannot afford to spend a great deal, however; hearing a potential price-range would be invaluable for future reference.)

Thank you again.

Best.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 PM

I neglected to state that I am still on my parent's insurance. This will undoubtedly have some bearing on whether or not I will be able to have this type of work done.

I do need serious advice in this matter, so all suggestions are much appreciated! Best.

Thank you.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Plastic surgery for a teen s a bad idea. You are still growing and changing. Especially since you are male.

Getting surgery in hopes that someone else will change their opinion is a recipe for disaster. I know it is devastating for you know that the one you want is uninterested there will be others, but you need to open yourself to that possibility so it will happen.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:04 AM

368 posts, read 577,790 times
A picture would be nice lol, can't really tell you what kind of surgery would be effective for you without seeing what you look like.

@jade408 Not really surgery is no different from make-up, just one being a permanent fix while the other temporary.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:42 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,607,699 times
Plastic surgery is not covered by insurance unless it's reconstructive surgery after severe disfigurement or to correct an impairment of function -- ie, upper eye blepharoplasty b/c your lids droop so much you lose +75% of your peripheral vision.

Ears sticking out like Prince Charles or President Obama? They can pinned back surgically, $5K +. Longer hair, free.

Large or bumpy/hooked nose? In the $7K range. But many surgeon won't touch that surgery on someone under 25 b/c the face is still changing.

Weak chin? Implants, don't know a cost range but not cheap.

Bad teeth? may be covered by insurance: Braces ($2500, ), crowns ($800 each), veneers (?$500 each), implants for missing teeth ($$$). This one is probably worth the investment at almost any age; a great smile is a huge asset and gives you great bang for your buck.

And keep in mind that the greater the difference you want to achieve between how you look now and what you want the plastic surgery to accomplish, the greater the chance of a poor outcome, the more expensive it becomes, and the bigger chance of disappointment with your new look.

Also, teen girls aren't known for making wise choices, so to alter your body permanently to appeal to someone who will probably have a completely different opinion of what she wants in 3-5 years ..... sounds like an effort in futility.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
OP, if she doesn't like you in that way, she doesn't like you in that way. You are young yet, and still changing in looks. You will start to come into yourself more as you get a little older.

I don't think anyone should ever change themselves for the sake of trying to have another person like you.

What if it doesn't work? Why would it be any different? You would still be the same person.

Only change for yourself. Insurance is not going to cover any of this unless it is a necessity, and getting the lady of your dreams does not classify as such....

Be you and learn to be happy being you.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:53 AM

22,596 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post

My goal is to improve my appearance to the point where I would be able to have a chance with the young lady of my dreams. For all who have not previously read; this girl rejected me when we were in high school. We graduated in May.
And what will you do when this girl still does not want to be with you? More surgery?

Changing yourself surgically in the hopes that a particular girl will like you is stupid.
Seriously.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:39 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,541,484 times
Everything changes in adulthood, believe me. For me, high school sucked . . . royal.

But like the ugly duckling, I got better with a few years. College was amazing. And after college, you are more inclined to find that people judge you for the person inside.

The only permanent changes worth doing while you are young are dental - a nice smile will go so much further than just about anything else.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:00 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
A picture would be nice lol, can't really tell you what kind of surgery would be effective for you without seeing what you look like.

@jade408 Not really surgery is no different from make-up, just one being a permanent fix while the other temporary.
That's exactly why it is different. It is permanent. You should not make permanent changes until you are sure they won't be overwritten by other changes that will happen. You facial structure will change through your early 20s.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Only change for yourself. Insurance is not going to cover any of this unless it is a necessity
What classifies as a "necessity"??

I would have a hard time affording this without any help from the insurance company.

Thanks for any input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.