Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 08:58 PM

658 posts, read 1,558,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Fair enough. I personally don't have any tattoos. My brother has a very small memorial tattoo on his back. His tattoo was done by legendary Tattoo artist, Jeremy Swan. My brother graduated from UC Berkeley, served in the U.S. Marine Corps (six years, four years active duty 2 years reserve) His tattoo is his final salute to his friend who lost his life in combat. My brother is now an industrial designer, perhaps one of the best in his field. He has a beautiful work studio in Burbank, California. He is never trashy / low class.

However, in all fairness, nobody really knows he has tattoo either, it is not like he is going to lift up his shirt and show people his back.

"People with tattoo are trashy / annoying / low class" This is such a bold statement. When people make this kind of statement, you have to question that person's mental state and IQ score, in my most humble opinion. (sounds like a lot of anger and unresolved mental issues to me) Such a big deal? Low class? annoying? Hello?

You make some valid points. I agree with 80% of your post.
Thanks. And I agree, what's more annoying to me is people who judge other people with such gross overgeneralizations without giving a second thought to rationalize or even evaluate the morality or ethics with regards to the judging of another person who isn't doing anything to you.

And if I never knew the person had a tattoo, then since I'm not psychic then there is no loss in social points. If they are like your brother, they would lose the couple points in social class impression if I knew about the tattoo; but from the sounds of it, the gross (as opposed to net) sum of social class would still be far higher for your brother than like a member of a biker gang, for example.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:05 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,396,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
Thanks. And I agree, what's more annoying to me is people who judge other people with such gross overgeneralizations without giving a second thought to rationalize or even evaluate the morality or ethics with regards to the judging of another person who isn't doing anything to you.

And if I never knew the person had a tattoo, then since I'm not psychic then there is no loss in social points. If they are like your brother, they would lose the couple points in social class impression if I knew about the tattoo; but from the sounds of it, the gross (as opposed to net) sum of social class would still be far higher for your brother than like a member of a biker gang, for example.
So, basically, if you never knew a person had a tattoo, and they met all your other social criteria, you'd think that person was ok....

But, if you later found out they had a tattoo, that would lower them in your estimation?

Ugh.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,330,494 times
Tattoos are a matter of personal preference, but I do believe SOME people get them as a form of rebellion. What you want to scream out to the world at 18 may not be what you want to say at 50. I know people that have dyed their hair hot pink and then they complain that people stare. If you cover yourself in body art, don't be surprised if people look. If you have tattoos that make a statement or are profane, don't be surprised if people make snap judgments about your beliefs. You really can't make a statement and expect people not to take note.

Also, choosing to decorate yourself or to tell the world where to go does not make you cool. Living your life in a way that helps rather than hurts the Earth and the people on it makes you cool. I do know a former Marine with a huge eagle on his arm. He keeps this covered in his position in the business world, and he says that it came from a drinking spree with his buddies in the service. This man is under 30 and regrets his tattoo. Do I think he should regret it? I don't know nor care, but there are places of business that frown upon tattoos and some that don't.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:28 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,460,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
So, basically, if you never knew a person had a tattoo, and they met all your other social criteria, you'd think that person was ok....

But, if you later found out they had a tattoo, that would lower them in your estimation?

Ugh.
That is exactly how it works. Most people really don't have such an issues with it, but for the ones that do, it is like that.

I feel people like them just have a superiority complex. Unfortunately, in my opinion, I think what they may actually have is something more in the lines of an inferiority complex with the need to try and find someone they can be better than.

At any rate, there is a man who I have come in contact with who behaves this way. He is a restaurant manager. If all of my tattoos are covered, he will talk to me, very friendly, lovely conversation. He will talk to both my SO and I for a nice little while. My SO does not have tattoos.

I can come in on a different day with my SO and some of my tattoos may be showing and he will look down upon me. Just completely ignore me. The kicker is that he actually will come to talk to us. He will talk to my SO only. He will not address me. He will not look at me, it is as though I am invisible and do not exist.

I guess he doesn't remember having talked to us before. I can go back to being covered and once again, lovely conversation.

Very judgmental.

I hope these people who are so against tattoos don't think that there can be no possibility that their physician may not have tattoo(s). They would be wrong.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM

39,488 posts, read 27,828,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

I feel people like them just have a superiority complex. Unfortunately, in my opinion, I think what they may actually have is something more in the lines of an inferiority complex with the need to try and find someone they can be better than.

Very judgmental.

I hope these people who are so against tattoos don't think that there can be no possibility that their physician may not have tattoo(s). They would be wrong.
This post is great. So true.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Tattoos are a matter of personal preference, but I do believe SOME people get them as a form of rebellion. What you want to scream out to the world at 18 may not be what you want to say at 50. I know people that have dyed their hair hot pink and then they complain that people stare. If you cover yourself in body art, don't be surprised if people look. If you have tattoos that make a statement or are profane, don't be surprised if people make snap judgments about your beliefs. You really can't make a statement and expect people not to take note.

Also, choosing to decorate yourself or to tell the world where to go does not make you cool. Living your life in a way that helps rather than hurts the Earth and the people on it makes you cool. I do know a former Marine with a huge eagle on his arm. He keeps this covered in his position in the business world, and he says that it came from a drinking spree with his buddies in the service. This man is under 30 and regrets his tattoo. Do I think he should regret it? I don't know nor care, but there are places of business that frown upon tattoos and some that don't.
And I know a guy who has a gigantic eagle on his arm with an American flag on it that loves his tattoo. He's had it for over 20 years.

Of course people keep their body art covered when they work for more conservative companies.

I know people who work for more creative companies who can walk around with blue hair and tattoos on their hands. They are judged by their skills, not by their tattoos, hair, etc.

My own company is reasonably laid back about tattoos. I was hired with them knowing I had a tattoo. They know I have more. They're more concerned with the quality of my work than my choice of adornments.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:28 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,330,494 times
Quote:
And I know a guy who has a gigantic eagle on his arm with an American flag on it that loves his tattoo. He's had it for over 20 years.

Of course people keep their body art covered when they work for more conservative companies.

I know people who work for more creative companies who can walk around with blue hair and tattoos on their hands. They are judged by their skills, not by their tattoos, hair, etc.

My own company is reasonably laid back about tattoos. I was hired with them knowing I had a tattoo. They know I have more. They're more concerned with the quality of my work than my choice of adornments.

Different strokes for different companies. It should not matter what one looks like, but in many instances it does.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Different strokes for different companies. It should not matter what one looks like, but in many instances it does.
That's why intelligent people who want to work white collar, professional jobs get tattoos that can be easily hidden under office clothes.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:22 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,950,443 times
I suppose it's a subculture one has to be a part of to fully understand it. I, personally would never get tattoos because I prefer to blend in and keep a low profile.

I'm not a special snowflake, I will live and die just like anyone else.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,717,299 times
Quote:

Ugh.
I really don't know how that post confused you. I understood it completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty