Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

1) Do you think using face pads to 'gently scrub" the face will "aggravate" or "stir up" oil glands to cause acne? I do not have acne, and I'm in my early 50's and don't have to worry about hormonal skin issues. But I've heard scrubbing the skin can cause breakouts. True or just some untruth that keeps being spread around?

2) I'm going to use baking soda as my basic exfoliator. But I also may want to add finely ground oatmeal and ground coffee. Should I worry about the rinsed off oatmeal and ground coffee clogging the lavatory drain. One web site said coffee grounds can clog drains so don't let them go down the drain. What about the ground oatmeal could it 'swell' in the drain?

3) Anyone ever tried or have and experience with the FIRST AID BEAUTY line. I'm not sure where it's sold in stores except for Sephora. It may be available other place I just don't know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:54 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
It really depends on your skin. I have rosacea and for years I did NOT rub my face at all. I spritzed on toner and patted it in. I patted on moisturizer. pat pat pat....

While it didn't aggravate anything -- patting didn't make rosacea better. So I went back to research and found someone who said that gentle scrubbing was GOOD for all skin. Rosacea sufferers needed the gentle exfoliation of a cotton ball or square. And I tested it -- balls, too much, squares are better.... and my skin looked better. I will always have rosacea.... but my skin looked better.

Baking soda is a great exfoliator, oatmeal is okay. Both too harsh for me. I would run the water for a minute after using oatmeal to clear out the drain.

I bought the First Aid hand cream and it wasn't creamy -- more hard. I had to use my nail to scrape it up. It seemed greasy for me, and my hands are DRY. I thought it was very expensive for what it was.

I mixed it up with some lavender face stuff I bought and didn't like and use that on my hands -- it's still greasy, but I use it a night and don't care I'm a little greasy.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Thanks. I'm a sucker for scrubs and such (and of course packaging) and First Aid Beauty has an exfoliator I was thinking of trying. It has non paba, and seems to be fairly 'natural.'

PS: LOVE your posts here and elsewhere but you're scaring me. I don't know too many people who are on boards at all hours like I am. My work shift and days off can change weekly so that's I'm on at 2p or 4a

Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
We're self employed and usually watch Craig Ferguson. So I'm up until 1:30.... And online all over the place.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:42 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Instead of oatmeal with the big pieces, I make a facial scrub with colloidal oatmeal. I actually found packets of an "oatmeal bath" the same as Aveeno's expensive version, at Dollar Tree. Same ingredients. I use what's in the packet to make a facial scrub for my son who has super sensitive skin.

I think you can also get this kind of oatmeal at health food stores or you can grind it up yourself in a coffee grinder (using regular oatmeal).

I also like a sugar scrub and it dissolves in warm water.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 PM

817 posts, read 2,189,041 times
I just read somewhere that sugar makes a great exfoliant. I haven't tried it yet though. I tried baking soda for about a week and it really dried my skin out.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,107 times
Try my favorite DIY Scrubs: Anti-Aging Skin Care: Exfoliation: My Favorite DIY Concoction

Old 06-24-2014, 11:26 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
try salt, I would worry about bacteria from food scrubs.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:31 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
because of it's structure, salt really isn't good for your skin to use as a scrub; it causes a lot of micro-tears that then get inflamed because of the salt itself. Sugar is a better alternative, and mixed with a little honey and olive or almond oil, makes an excellent healthy scrub for your skin, if you're doing at-home scrub mixes.

I used to do that, but now I have a Clarisonic type machine (a much cheaper one that I got from Target online), and use that and a little Cetaphil moisturizing cleanser 2-3x a week and it's great, plus it's waterproof and battery operated, so I can use it in the shower. I do my face, neck and decolletage while my conditioner is doing its thing. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:34 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
try salt, I would worry about bacteria from food scrubs.
Salt is not recommended because it is crystallized into rough edges. This is why people use sugar instead, it crystallizes into smooth edges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty