Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 04:32 PM

23 posts, read 36,536 times

Advertisements

I have used self-tanning lotions for almost a decade and learned a few helpful tips along the way. One of the biggest is the application and staining of the hands. Apply regular hand or body lotion to both hands before using your self-tanning lotion. It will rinse off when you wash your hands following application. Also if you have a soap that has dead sea minerals in it, the residue will completely rinse off, hence no staining of hands.

To get the most out of your tan, apply after you bath and use a tan extender following your application, after the self-tanner has had a chance to absorb into the skin (about 20 min). I have very fair skin and do not tan in tanning beds or sitting outside, mainly because there is typically not enough annual sunshine here to bother with it. I like having a little color because I am about as white as it gets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 08:46 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,243 times
Have you found a self tanning lotion that doesn't look orangish? And doesn't stain your clothes?

I haven't actually tried these things since the 80s, but I could use a little color too.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM

23 posts, read 36,536 times
I use Almay sunless tanning cream for face and Banana Boat Summer Color Self-Tanning Lotion in Deep Dark Color and these work really well without leaving any orange tint. Also like Neutrogena Micro-mist airbrush sunless tan in Deep #3 shade. I have use the Loreal brand to and had pretty good results. These are all available at the local Rite Aide, Walgreen's, etc... Good Luck!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll look for those brands and see how they work on me.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Have you found a self tanning lotion that doesn't look orangish? And doesn't stain your clothes?

I haven't actually tried these things since the 80s, but I could use a little color too.
I stayed away because of the orange 90s.

Gradual tanning lotions look the least orange to me overall.
With instant tanning products I noticed more issues.
Orange happens with too much product, your body oxidizing product, poor color match and/or sallow skin tone.

If you go to a salon the spray on tans come in depths of color just like foundation. I don't know if you ever tried any of those at all. But you can just stand in a booth and get a blast of color. It doesn't have to be a person:
http://mystictan.com/

Improve your base skin tone with nutrition. Look at the difference:
How vegetables can give you that golden glow | Education | The Guardian

The healthy base color can helps avoid the orange tint.

Currently I like this:
Jergens® Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer

I am light right now but it still works. Worked when I was lightly tan too almost like a body foundation.
It will leave a mark on your clothing if you apply it and sweat a lot. But it washes out. It only rubs off or sweats off on the day you applied it. You massage it in. Never got streaky. One time it did deposit too much color on my wrist in a spot near the joint. It was easily exfoliated off with a washcloth and looked even. (didn't leave a white spot).
Its a nice night lotion. The scent is a little strong to apply all over for day to me. I will probably keep buying it as it makes my leg skin rather smooth and help any razor bumps heal or never happen.
If you don't use it everyday it doesn't get orange or dark. It just blends away that ashen tone.
Even when tan I would only use it 2x a week or so. Otherwise it starts to look fake. It fades best if you use a lotion in between applications. The lotion applies better if you exfoliate and then apply a bit of lotion to the joints/hands/feet. Tanning aspect aside the lotion is pretty nice for a drugstore lotion.

If it stains your palms whitening toothpaste gets it right off. If you roughly wash your palms with a cloth + facewash, it doesn't usually stain.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:34 PM

Wow, thanks for taking the time to type that all out! I have a lot of experimenting to do before summer.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:26 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Wow, thanks for taking the time to type that all out! I have a lot of experimenting to do before summer.
No problem. Im a fast typer. LOL

At least you have time to get in that natural base color! Eat your veggies!

Keep an eye out for coupons for the jergens and groupon sometimes puts out coupons for spray tans too.
The other big spray tan tame is Versa. They do put out a different color tone so if you hate mystic, maybe versa would work. Mystic just seems to have the best reviews with sticking and fading nicely.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty