Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 PM

814 posts, read 2,051,168 times

Advertisements

IMHO It appears this occurs quite often, my solution would be to get rid of all the mirrors in the house along with rear view mirror in the car. keep the side views so you can change lanes! Cheer yourself up by reminding yourself that no matter how unattractive you may think you are there is always someone else a little less attractive. If that does not work Google images "plastic surgery fails" "Meth abuse"and have fun looking at the pictures. Beauty begins on the inside and is a state of mind not what you see in the mirror. Thats just the superficial part that gets way more attention than it should. If all else fails resort to karaoke sing the Joe Cocker song "you are so beautiful to me" but with one minor change. you change out the lyrics change to the word "I" or "I am" every time it says "you" or "your" Don't believe try it and see it WILL make you feel good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM

50,481 posts, read 64,355,707 times
I am the least photogenic person on the planet, so when I see a picture of myself I feel this way. However, what I say to myself is that people respond so positively to me in person, that I feel as if I really must look OK. At any rate, past a certain age, one starts to lose their vanity. I just do the best I can with what I have and then don't worry about it.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,739,074 times
Don't really care to "look sexy" so I just don't get it.

Teddybears - Punkrocker (Feat. Iggy Pop) (Video) - YouTube

"I'm bored with looking good."

I just wear my punk on the inside these days.
Vanity should be fun and light. Not something that takes you to self hate land.

If you don't like something..fix it.
If you don't want to deal with fixing it...forget it.
Focus on other things that really matter.

This thread seriously bums me out that so many grown adults feel this way.

Doesn't anyone laugh at bad hair days anymore?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM

16,913 posts, read 16,186,971 times
I love you, just the way you are!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,691,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Don't really care to "look sexy" so I just don't get it.

Teddybears - Punkrocker (Feat. Iggy Pop) (Video) - YouTube

"I'm bored with looking good."

I just wear my punk on the inside these days.
Vanity should be fun and light. Not something that takes you to self hate land.

If you don't like something..fix it.
If you don't want to deal with fixing it...forget it.
Focus on other things that really matter.

This thread seriously bums me out that so many grown adults feel this way.

Doesn't anyone laugh at bad hair days anymore?
Now THIS is something I can get behind.

I have crazy hair. Sometimes it's super pretty and curly in just the right way, sometimes it turns into a giant afro, sometimes it's wavy and frizzy and I NEVER know what it's going to be doing on any given day. On bad hair days, I always send a picture to a guy friend because he thinks it's hilarious how weird my hair is. He always cheers me up about it

Today, it looked fantastic...like Julia Roberts back in the early 90s. I felt fantastic today because of it Then, when I got home I had to wash it and now it's back to wondering if I'll look great, or if I'll look like a slightly homeless person. Time will tell!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM

147 posts, read 229,777 times
Yeah, but then I stopped looking in the mirror!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 PM

5,182 posts, read 4,508,879 times
I feel that way once in a while. At those times, I go to the gym and work out. The endorphins from my workout lift my spirits. After a nice shower, a spritz of energizing perfume (usu. something citrusy), and a healthy meal, I'm as good as new.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM

5,182 posts, read 4,508,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Usually when Aunt Flo comes to town.
Haha. That's a good one. I just call her my "friend."

Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 PM

88,885 posts, read 85,359,004 times
In my experience, if you were unattractive most of your life, it becomes better when you are in your fifties. You don't have the anguish of losing your looks if you didn't have any. Yes, there are some moments, such as looking in the mirror and seeing Mom looking back at you. But if you do the best you can with hair and makeup and clothing, you can be just as presentable in your fifties as the women who were pretty when you all were younger and you were NOT one of the pretty ones. I feel less self-conscious now than I used to, for the most part, because it doesn't matter as much now that I'm unattractive as it did when I was younger.

On a side note, we are also invisible now. My friend dates a cop (also around 50) and he said that most people just glaze over us when they see us, and that can actually work out when it comes to law enforcement. Cops are going to look for bad-ass looking guys or pretty young girls, and we fifty-something babes could drive down the road with a can of beer in one hand and a joint in the other and no one would ever notice. I might actually try that one day! Hehehe.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,992,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Usually when Aunt Flo comes to town.
Me too. It really sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty