Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM

44 posts, read 75,456 times

Advertisements

...and I'm sure that this is probably asked on a daily basis, but I looked down the first page and if its there I missed it.

I have recently lost a good amount of weight, so plan on upping my wardrobe. My wife says that my jeans are hanging off of me, LOL. Anyway, I'm about 40 years old and work in the blue collar field, but want to dress with a little class/style/etc., but without going overboard about it.

Since I'm completely out of the fashion loop, but want to look my best for my wife and so as to impress my 12 year old daughter, what are the "in" styles, brands, fashions, etc. when it comes to jeans (and hopefully not ones that cost $100/pair).

thanks for any suggestions or pointing me to the right website, etc. Going on a cruise in a couple of weeks and want to be able to look good for that and for the vacation time prior to and following the cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM

22,613 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamoguy View Post

Since I'm completely out of the fashion loop, but want to look my best for my wife and so as to impress my 12 year old daughter, what are the "in" styles, brands, fashions, etc. when it comes to jeans (and hopefully not ones that cost $100/pair).

Best bet... since their opinions are the ones that matter to you, ask them!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,914,122 times
I don't know about mens jeans. While my first inclination is to just name brands or looks that would suit your lifestyle, I know nothing of where you are geographically and I think that factors in as well.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 PM

817 posts, read 2,189,657 times
You have to get the ones that look best on your butt. At least, that's what I make my husband do.

Take your wife with you to JC Penney or Kohl's. They have a good selection of various fits (slim, regular, short, long) of Levi's and several other brands. I made my husband get the dark wash straight leg jeans because he's in his 40s and he didn't want to look like a teenager.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,626,612 times
right now, slim-straight is the preferred cut. The skinny tight ones which hug your calves are for skater boys, so avoid. Also, boot-cut & relaxed cut are out, unless you need them because you're heavy-set.

For the past decade the hot area for men's premium denim has been Japanese reproduction selvedge cloth jeans, based on Levi's & Wrangler pre-WW2 designs & woven on antique shuttle looms. But those literally cost hundreds & hundreds a pair. Take a look here to get some idea of the choices: Blue Owl Products

More affordable are Nudie and Naked&Famous jeans, but they're still priced over $150 (but $90~120 on sale). Even cheaper are Unbranded denim at $75~100 regular priced. Guys like these brands over the fashion brands (like 7 for All, AG, Joe's) because the denim is heavier so it looks more masculine. If you really don't want to spend much, just pick-up a couple pair of Levi's 513 or 514. Whichever brand, avoid fading or creasing or distressing. Get plain indigo navy or plain black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty