Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 AM

568 posts, read 963,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
But if you stay thin, you'll be mistaken for older when you're 46. Thin works in your favor under about age 40. Past that point, it ages you. A little padding adds the fullness of youth. Of course other factors weigh heavily into the equation as well: smoking, hydration, sun exposure, nutrition, etc.
I agree...my sister just turned 60 and lost about 22 pounds on a 5'6" height...she only weighed 142. She has this long blonde hair and from the back she looks like she is 27,,but when she turns around..people take a double look because she is all wrinkled. She is doing lip injections and botox and looks like a freak..she looked much better with a little weight, but now she is too skinny...she is having a hard time accepting that she is getting older...I feel sorry for her because people stare at her and she thinks it is because she looks GOOD!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,390,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
argument There is nothing about being fat that is desirable, healthy or intelligent.

My wife is a size 18/20 at 5'-7" in height. (Think the body type of the vocalist Adel) She is shapely, sexy and desirable to me. She is also quite satisfied with the way she looks and is complimented on such.

She also holds a masters degree as well as a post graduate degree.

Just because popular culture spurned forward by mindless media hype concerning the lie that thin wrinkled and gaunt is more desirable than thick,shapely and smooth is sadly comical and has caused damage to countless women concerning self perception.

Your comments quoted above are both inflammatory and confrontational.

They are also commonplace of those that have been deceived by corporations that do nothing more than cash in on hype that you have shown you believe.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM

945 posts, read 970,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
My wife is a size 18/20 at 5'-7" in height. (Think the body type of the vocalist Adel) She is shapely, sexy and desirable to me. She is also quite satisfied with the way she looks and is complimented on such.

Just because popular culture spurned forward by mindless media hype concerning the lie that thin wrinkled and gaunt is more desirable than thick,shapely and smooth is sadly comical and has caused damage to countless women concerning self perception.

They are also commonplace of those that have been deceived by corporations that do nothing more than cash in on hype that you have shown you believe.
You are bringing in non-related factors to the discussion. We are comparing apples to apples, which is only the weight issue. Not education, I am not sure why you mention that.

I can only go off what my internal gut and medical research tells me, and a healthy body is one that is lighter in weight than the average person is today. I don't know sizes, but 18/20 seems above the norm? (Not sure)

So you do realize any doctor or medical professional would advise your wife to lose weight for an increased level of energy, life duration and increased avoidance of a host of other complications that could arise down the road due to her weight?

They are inflammatory to you because you feel like I am attacking your wife personally? I don't get it.
The reality of the situation is that the more healthy people look the more they tend to be leaner and athletic in their body composition. To refute this is to deny science and medicine, and while you blame me for not agreeing that your wife is the ideal of youthful appearance and symbol of healthiness I cannot disagree more.

Being lean, cut and in shape is not only the most attractive, it is the most healthy. These aren't coincidental.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,461,028 times
I'm slender and have no interest in acquiring fat.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,665,928 times
Quote:

I'm glad you're happy with your wife. I'm happy with mine too -- she's very slim and has maintained the same weight since high school. There's no need to refer to those with her appearance as wrinkled or gaunt.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,736,781 times
Quote:
Most thin women that do not benefit from good genetics will undoubtedly look older in the face than a heavier woman of the same age.

Many thin women with expendable income invest in collagen and fat injections that act as fillers in order to diminish wrinkles in areas such as crows feet around the eyes and Marionette lines around the mouth.
Also heavier women benefit from not having that gaunt wrinkled appearance in the cheeks that most thin women eventually succumb to.

Heavier women already have fat cells in the facial area that keeps the skin taught and tight without the need of cosmetic enhancements or remedies that thin women need in order to achieve the same results.
That same layer of fat that makes their faces look so smooth, youthful and attractive is putting the health of their heart and other vital organs at risk. Keeping vital organs healthy and viable will be slightly more challlenging as one ages, under the best circumstances. Why hinder yourself by adding fat to the equation. There are other alternatives to "thin" and "obese" What about "svelte" "fit and trim" "shapely" all these body types comes with a reasonable fat to muscle ratio and are pretty realistic for most women to attain. It's balanced and very attractive and youthful looking.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,301,757 times
Overall I don't think being heavy or thin makes a woman look any older or younger than she is, at least in my experience.

But I have known a few women who have lost weight in about their early 40s whose weight loss has exposed crow's feet and other facial features that did make them look older than they did before the weight loss.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,736,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Overall I don't think being heavy or thin makes a woman look any older or younger than she is, at least in my experience.

But I have known a few women who have lost weight in about their early 40s whose weight loss has exposed crow's feet and other facial features that did make them look older than they did before the weight loss.
They may have lost the weight too fast and failed to take proper care of their skin as they lost the weight. I'm just saying the fat that makes faces so smooth and pretty, can render a woman's figure less desirable to men, and that is one of the main things a many men notice when they see a woman.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,234,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
They may have lost the weight too fast and failed to take proper care of their skin as they lost the weight. I'm just saying the fat that makes faces so smooth and pretty, can render a woman's figure less desirable to men, and that is one of the main things a many men notice when they see a woman.
And even that is questionable, as I've said above, it really depends on your facial structure and fat distribution. I personally looked FUG at 22 at 5'4 and 125 lbs, as opposed to 110 lbs at 29...when I gain weight I get hamster cheeks and an old-lady chin....

Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
Does a thin body typically make women look young/er?
It's not exactly that being thin makes someone look younger. Extra weight does tend to age people, if it's excessive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty