Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times

Advertisements

Finally, a move toward the right direction from the bible of all fashion.

It takes recognition like this to come from the publisher of top fashion magazines to enact a major change in the industry. It's finally time women are represented as being age appropriate, as well as physically and mentally healthy in our fashion magazines.

Quote:
Vogue magazine, perhaps the world's top arbiter of style, is making a statement about its own models: Too young and too thin is no longer in.

The 19 editors of Vogue magazines around the world made a pact to project the image of healthy models, according to a Conde Nast International announcement Thursday.

They agreed to "not knowingly work with models under the age of 16 or who appear to have an eating disorder," and said they will ask casting directors to check IDs at photo shoots and fashion shows and for ad campaigns.
Vogue bans too-skinny models from its pages

Quote:
In a statement released Thursday morning, publisher Conde Nast announced the magazine's worldwide ban of the use of models 15 and younger in their pages.

"Vogue believes that good health is beautiful. Vogue Editors around the world want the magazines to reflect their commitment to the health of the models who appear on the pages and the well-being of their readers," said Conde Nast International Chairman Jonathan Newhouse in the press release.

Vogue Bans Underage Models, Calls for Healthy Fashion Reform. At Last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 PM

155 posts, read 252,623 times
Good for them.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:50 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Who gets to decide what "too thin" is? But I'm with them on moving away from using young teens represented as grown women. It's not in the best interest of girls that young.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Brooke Shields was 14 when she made the cover. Just sayin....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooke_Shields

I think its another stupid move for PR to appease people who are too stupid to accept that some people are tall, thin and not over 21. And they can't stand that these people are Photoshopped for whatever reason as well. Its like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand. What...since you don't see the monster its gone away? Nah...its still there because its inside you. Just looking for something else to bring it out. It was never on a magazine page in the first place.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Brooke Shields was 14 when she made the cover. Just sayin....
Brooke Shields - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think its another stupid move for PR to appease people who are too stupid to accept that some people are tall, thin and not over 21. And they can't stand that these people are Photoshopped for whatever reason as well. Its like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand. What...since you don't see the monster its gone away? Nah...its still there because its inside you. Just looking for something else to bring it out. It was never on a magazine page in the first place.
I used to be ambivalent, and then I heard this story:
Teens protest against Photoshop use outside Seventeen magazine offices | Mail Online

As a teen, I used to read all of the fashion magazines. And frankly, I didn't aspire to look like the models, because well they didn't look anything like me. I would usually play the count the number of black faces in the magazine game and be amazed if I even broke 5. I'd add counting the other ethnic groups, and it would be just as bad. So the magazines weren't really aspirational for me, and I decided to find other sources for that.

But most teens aren't like I was. They look to these magazines for inspiration on what they should look like. And if everyone looks fake, where does that leave you, Ms. Average. Not only are the models really thin, they are photoshopped to be impossible thin and flaw free. What if you were bombarded with those images 24/7 in every outlet and looked down and saw your cellulite, your pores and your non model thin figure. You might think something was seriously wrong with you. Especially if a wider range of role models isn't available. These days the actress, models and entertainers all pretty much look like the models. If you want a broader range of body types, you need to look over to the sports magazines.

The poor kids now are fed this false image that everyone looks perfect all the time, and we all know this "perfection" isn't attainable.

As for young models? The working conditions are pretty adult, and I don't want your girls, forced to be sexualized before they are old enough. Did you ever see the pics of the french 10 year posing like a playmate? That is just horrible. Other industries have underage working regulations and modeling should too.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I used to be ambivalent, and then I heard this story:
Teens protest against Photoshop use outside Seventeen magazine offices | Mail Online

As a teen, I used to read all of the fashion magazines. And frankly, I didn't aspire to look like the models, because well they didn't look anything like me. I would usually play the count the number of black faces in the magazine game and be amazed if I even broke 5. I'd add counting the other ethnic groups, and it would be just as bad. So the magazines weren't really aspirational for me, and I decided to find other sources for that.

But most teens aren't like I was. They look to these magazines for inspiration on what they should look like. And if everyone looks fake, where does that leave you, Ms. Average. Not only are the models really thin, they are photoshopped to be impossible thin and flaw free. What if you were bombarded with those images 24/7 in every outlet and looked down and saw your cellulite, your pores and your non model thin figure. You might think something was seriously wrong with you. Especially if a wider range of role models isn't available. These days the actress, models and entertainers all pretty much look like the models. If you want a broader range of body types, you need to look over to the sports magazines.

The poor kids now are fed this false image that everyone looks perfect all the time, and we all know this "perfection" isn't attainable.

As for young models? The working conditions are pretty adult, and I don't want your girls, forced to be sexualized before they are old enough. Did you ever see the pics of the french 10 year posing like a playmate? That is just horrible. Other industries have underage working regulations and modeling should too.
Just another teen mouthing off is what I thought when I read that. Most kids these days know how to use Photoshop and what it is. They treat it like a GD drama-fest when they COULD just say: hey..you like Photoshop cause you can look like that too. Thank Photoshop. Maybe we should ban software so the ignorant can stay blissful.

If someone is so dang dumb at this point you don't understand the magic of Photoshop then maybe you deserve to suffer. Which sounds cold...but COME ON...they even have free mini photo editing on photobucket these days. You don't even need an expensive program or a hacked version.

I saw the uproar about the recent mag having a 10 year old. I did not see the spread. I only saw one image where she was laying on a couch on her stomach and she looked like she played dress up. So I can't comment on that entire shoot.

I don't think sexualized shoots should be done with young girls. That is weird.
But I don't think all shoots are sexual or that underage girls should be banned from fashion.

If one doesn't want to look at those images don't BUY them. Like you said, you can always find more diversity in other areas. Ethnic, body type, more or less conservative etc.

I just think when you label and leave it or ban things it just PROMOTES ignorance rather than fight it. To fight ignorance you don't put on blinders and hope to remain ignorant. You open your eyes and really look at the issue and then discuss and educate.

Its like people are just getting too lazy to parent anymore or something.
God forbid you would have to have a discussion with a kid or help them feel better over this nonsense.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
I don't see where they said they will stop using models who are too thin. It says models who "appear to have an eating disorder." The models are still going to be quite thin, just not emaciated. If you are a BBW looking for inspiration, you still aren't going to find it in Vogue.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:48 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I suspect this is why most black women have a positive body image, whether they are skinny, fat or somewhere in between. Few really identified with the images in the magazines.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I suspect this is why most black women have a positive body image, whether they are skinny, fat or somewhere in between. Few really identified with the images in the magazines.
Yup I think so too. (half of the time the black women they put in magazines only look like 10% of black women anyway).

But I also think this is changing too with all of those horrible hip hop mags posting these photoshopped women with huge butt implants and super small waists, basically figures that are not found in nature. I think some women are starting to get a complex. And of course there is another subset of black women aspiring to be model thin too. Body image is starting to go down for black women too.

Too much media saturation.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I don't see where they said they will stop using models who are too thin. It says models who "appear to have an eating disorder." The models are still going to be quite thin, just not emaciated. If you are a BBW looking for inspiration, you still aren't going to find it in Vogue.
I vote for less photoshopping. I mean the images are just ridiculous half of the time. Super extreme waist definition. Huge thigh gaps. No cellulite. No pores. Perfect body symmetry. Or how about people in poses bending over with no creases... All kinds of stuff that doesn't exist in nature -- even if you are model thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty