Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,027,825 times

Advertisements

I'm a fashion major who want's to specialize in plus size (which is average in the real world) wear and I would like some input from different women in the country. As a plus size person...what articles of clothing do have a hard time finding that look good on you?

Nice tank tops that don't bring attention to your arms. Pants that don't accentuate the "extra" stomach?

What?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:37 PM

781 posts, read 3,820,013 times
I hate finding a cute shirt but the arms are just too tight.......it just so disappointing. That is my major issue.:-)

Old 10-16-2007, 12:51 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,096,125 times
Shirts that button across without pulling.
A lot of plus size ladies are bigger on top than bottom and visa versa I guess. If you make 2 piece outfits, mixing and matching sizes is very important.
If you can buy a XL top and medium bottom (for example).

Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 PM

For example a jumpsuit that fits the lower half but you have a hard time buttoning or zipping up because your wider up top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Shirts that button across without pulling.
A lot of plus size ladies are bigger on top than bottom and visa versa I guess. If you make 2 piece outfits, mixing and matching sizes is very important.
If you can buy a XL top and medium bottom (for example).

Old 10-16-2007, 12:59 PM

I understand that all too well..............

Are you talking a particular kind of sleeve or just in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
I hate finding a cute shirt but the arms are just too tight.......it just so disappointing. That is my major issue.:-)

Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 PM

781 posts, read 3,820,013 times
Mostly short sleeves....For instance the peasant style blouses that have a puffy sleeve but have a too small band around the upper arm....does that make sense??

Another one is polos....sometimes the sleeve is too tight!!

For me it is not usually a problem in long or quarter sleeve shirts just the short or cap sleeve shirts.

Thanks for letting me whine for a bit:-)

Old 10-16-2007, 01:30 PM

618 posts, read 1,612,096 times
I have trouble finding fashionable light sweaters that are in a good color/print and aren't too tight around my stomach.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 PM

42,002 posts, read 75,366,570 times
1) Dress slacks -- without elastic waists -- that fit properly. I'm a triangle shape, and my hips are a good 15 inches wider than my waist. I can't find anything without even a partial elastic waist -- which isn't the most professional look anyway -- that doesn't gap in the back. And anyway, elastic waist slacks make my butt look bigger than it already is ...

2) Just because I'm wide doesn't mean I'm long. Why do pants, sleeves, etc. have to be so long?

3) Styles that look great if you have no butt or hips, but hideous otherwise. Big hipped women are unfairly discriminated against!! A long time ago, I remember reading a Cathy cartoon where Cathy was visiting the local boutique. The clerk kept telling her that this current season's fashions were celebrating some body part or another, and Cathy's response was "When do we get to celebrate the hips?"

Old 10-16-2007, 01:42 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,096,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
For example a jumpsuit that fits the lower half but you have a hard time buttoning or zipping up because your wider up top?
I was thinking more of 2 piece outfits. I tend to wear a lot of Lane Bryant shirts and pants because you can buy a large top and a medium bottom.
Sometimes if you buy a top and bottom set you get stuck with one size.
I used to love jumpsuits but I never see them anymore. I think they are quite slimming.

I think another problem is that a lot of ladies (at least I am) are smaller plus sizes (I can wear a 16-18 pants-tops slightly bigger) and they sell out so quickly.

I agree about the length of pants. Petite length in plus size is what we need for pants!!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,772,087 times
My daughter is full figured and has the most trouble finding tops to fit her without opening up in front. She is Dolly Parton! The arms are often tight as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty