Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:06 AM

781 posts, read 3,816,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not sure if I'm allowed to "advertise" here (I'll find out), but those last two dresses are from igigi.com - I know the founder of the company, and they make really nice stuff! Unfortunately it isn't cheap, though... that red dress sells for $175.
Checked it out.....love the fact that they use plus size models!!!! I hate when I look at plus clothes and the models are small. How can you judge the way the dress/pants will look when they are on a size 2?????

Thanks for the link!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 12:45 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,592 times
Maybe I'm just not savvy enough but for me, it's the style of clothes. If I go to the "plus size" in a department store, a lot of the clothes are more "mature". Places like Torrid are "too young" for my taste. I like Lane Bryant but I don't want ALL my clothes to be from there (plus, they don't always have good quality).

I shop at Kohl's and have noticed that a lot of their "regular" come in "plus", which is cool. I think that's something I'd like to see more of. We can dress "cute", too, darn it!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,746 times
Default Size is an attitude

I live in the UK and while the choice has definitely widened in the last few years, what I have the most difficulty with is finding well made, good quality clothing because I'm full figured does not mean I have lost all sense of colour, pattern and material quality. I strongly believe in the fitted clothes approach, wear a tent and you look like your wearing a tent, if you have shape SHOW IT!!!

Whilst I'm lucky that I'm tall, very well proportioned and horror of horrors have a definite waist albeit a plus sized one finding clothing that reflects this is often difficult, the only maker that recognises this is Marina Rinaldi (part of the Max Mara group) who are very expensive, something that hit the middle price range would be good.

I also have an issue with finding fashionable clothing, much of this season's clothing would have been ideal for plus size woman but even shops that carry larger sizes didn't just make the same clothes in the larger sizes, no they chose to do them in hideous colourways or poorer quality prints and materials WHY?

Ok enough ranting for now, lol Hope that helped, it did me
L

Old 10-28-2007, 03:07 PM

73 posts, read 458,230 times
CAP SLEEVES are not a plus sizer's friend. WAY to add bulk and dimension to a place that doesn't need either.

I'm also not a fan, as a middle-aged plus sizer, of sleeveless. On evening stuff, I would prefer at least a chiffony-type small float sleeve over the tops of my arms. A sleeve but not a sleeve, you know what I mean? A disguise for the ham that is my shoulder and arm.

Also I love hankerchief hems on casual tops. They tend to distract from the lump that is my belly. Straight hems on an empire waist tend to make me look pregnant. Floaty hems make me look... floaty-er.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,795 times
@ floaty-er and yes I agree with the empire fit. Thanx for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by home*sweet*home View Post
CAP SLEEVES are not a plus sizer's friend. WAY to add bulk and dimension to a place that doesn't need either.

I'm also not a fan, as a middle-aged plus sizer, of sleeveless. On evening stuff, I would prefer at least a chiffony-type small float sleeve over the tops of my arms. A sleeve but not a sleeve, you know what I mean? A disguise for the ham that is my shoulder and arm.

Also I love hankerchief hems on casual tops. They tend to distract from the lump that is my belly. Straight hems on an empire waist tend to make me look pregnant. Floaty hems make me look... floaty-er.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:36 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,804 times
My biggest gripe is not being able to find stylish DRESSES in plus sizes. I am a regular Talbots shopper and I know that they actually make a few dress styles in the plus sizes but they NEVER appear in either the catalogue or their website. Unless you happen upon one of the few stores that carry dresses, you'd never even know. So please, design some well-cut dresses, in solid colors, that don't look like circus tents. Just where is it written that all plus sized women like gaudy prints and cheezy fabrics? I would kill for a nice gray wool (lined) dress to wear for daytime and a nice teal or red one for going out to dinner at night. And I second Mooseketeer's call for natural fabrics.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Will do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
My biggest gripe is not being able to find stylish DRESSES in plus sizes. I am a regular Talbots shopper and I know that they actually make a few dress styles in the plus sizes but they NEVER appear in either the catalogue or their website. Unless you happen upon one of the few stores that carry dresses, you'd never even know. So please, design some well-cut dresses, in solid colors, that don't look like circus tents. Just where is it written that all plus sized women like gaudy prints and cheezy fabrics? I would kill for a nice gray wool (lined) dress to wear for daytime and a nice teal or red one for going out to dinner at night. And I second Mooseketeer's call for natural fabrics.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Natural fabrics, yes yes yes! I third the motion.

I heard about this new (at the time) web-based store specializing in clothes for girls with boobs - Eris Apparel - and I was really excited until I looked at their site and everything is cheapy-tacky poly blend. Everything cheap but the prices, of course.

If the fabric looks shiny, usually a bad sign.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 AM

I understand your frustration and I don't understand why it's so difficult to have more body friendly attire for plus size women. I understand there are costs involved in creating patterns where you will use more material and that plus size women come in a variety of shapes (legs, arms, shoulders, stomach) but you'd think there would be more out there than it is. I'm dedicated to creating a plus size line that is figure flattering, and affordable so it won't be such a hassle for women to find what they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Due to illness I have gone from a size 12 to about a size 24/26 and I absolutely hate the style and quality of clothing on offer for"plus" sizes.

I love extremely well tailored clothes, what people would call "timeless classics" and I am getting so frustrated having absolutely nowhere to shop for such items. I love long skirts, well cut blazers, shapely blouses and natural fabrics such as silk, cotton, wool, and tweed so being a plus size is agony as I am reduced to wearing shapeless outfits, in hideous fabrics and materials. I have had some clothes made but there is such a gap in the market for classic women's clothes in larger sizes.

I have no desire to be trendy or fashionable just well dressed and it's virtually impossible to find anything decent.

America is slightly better than the UK for plus sizes but still, I had a good look whilst in California and had no luck finding anything I like. I am tall as well and finding long skirts is impossible.
I cannot help feeling that larger women are supposed to just forget about clothes, and wear shapeless clothes with little sartorial appeal.
It saddens me and I just hope that I can one day go back to my old size just so I can enjoy clothes again...

Old 11-26-2007, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,641 times
Smile Ain't this the truth

I am a 20 year old Plus Size young woman, and I've been a size 18/20 since I was 14. As if growing up always bigger than those stick figured girls (including my sisters) wasn't hard enough, the plus size fashion field was slim pickings. It wasn't until the past year and a half or so, that I really realized that I shouldn't hide behind bigger sizes or shapeless clothing, and really began to buy cute, well fitting clothes. Some of the places I adore and can find some great stuff is:

Lane Bryant- The Right Fit jeans are amazzzzzzzzzing and I love the RED
Torrid- Helps occassionally with the "young" look, but is really a hit and miss sometimes
Old Navy- They have plus sizes and even their XXL is great on me, which is surprising because I am really tall (5'11") and it still works
Lord & Taylor- great for nice jackets and occassion dresses so they don't look like too old lady, and they have some amazing sales
Size Appeal- Great dresses & trendy tops
Igi is great, but a bit expensive, so I tend to check it out during sales

Those are just a few, but if you search "Trendy Plus Size Clothing" in Google you can generally find quite a bit.

Also, if you're going into Plus Size fashion, I'll totally be your model because we definitely need some more fashion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty