Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:38 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,665,550 times

Advertisements

More colorful older beauties:

I LOVE these two !

I know a lot of you will find these women ridiculous. But what I appreciate it is that they are amazingly, blazingly, refreshingly --- themselves ! And making the world a more vibrant interesting place, instead of just 'blending in' and wearing age - appropriate beige....

All of these images are from the following blog:
http://advancedstyle.blogspot.ca/201...ous-older.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 09:53 PM

472 posts, read 1,099,854 times
Someone has too much time on their hands.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
Someone has too much time on their hands.

...yeah, just me and all the other people on CD forums !

Old 10-27-2012, 10:02 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,623,598 times
All an older woman needs is tens of thousands of dollars to spend on fashion, liposuction, personal chefs, personal trainers, personal assistants, make-up artists and all the free time in the world.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
All an older woman needs is tens of thousands of dollars to spend on fashion, liposuction, personal chefs, personal trainers, personal assistants, make-up artists and all the free time in the world.
I don't agree. I posted photos of enough women who are not thin, who are wrinkled, and some not even wearing makeup. Some of these clothes are expensive no doubt, like the couture clothes worn by Anna Wintour in my first posting. But I've shopped at thrift stores and consignment stores for years, and have picked up tons of designer clothes, either free or for pennies on the dollar.

I think many of us make excuses that we need all those things you mentioned to look stylish --- but I don't think you do. Yes, maybe some time and effort, but I enjoy fashion so for me it's just pure fun.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:38 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,623,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I think many of us make excuses that we need all those things you mentioned to look stylish --- but I don't think you do. Yes, maybe some time and effort, but I enjoy fashion so for me it's just pure fun.

No time to to make excuses when you've been busy raising kids and punching a work clock for 40yrs.

I see pics of rather wealthy, pampered women meant to represent your every day "old lady". More unrealistic expectations to live up to.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
No time to to make excuses when you've been busy raising kids and punching a work clock for 40yrs.

I see pics of rather wealthy, pampered women meant to represent your every day "old lady". More unrealistic expectations to live up to.
There is nothing impossible about this older woman's look. She's not even wearing lipstick, and she has low-maintenance hair. She's wearing a simple shirt and skirt, and I've seen shoes just like that for $29 at the Naturalizer store.

Or this look. Nothing unattainable about this, yet to me she looks great.

Nor is this look unrealistic or unattainable for most women. I know it's a celebrity, but she's not even wearing makeup or contacts, and she doesn't have a perfect body.

It's impossible and unrealistic if you tell yourself that.

Most people are not still raising kids when they are in their sixties and seventies.

I think it's insulting that you imply that your average, everyday "older lady" must look frumpy or unattractive.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:43 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,208,442 times
After looking at some of these pictures, it's no wonder that women aren't treated as equals in some areas of work, pay, adavancement, etc.

I wonder if many of us would take advice from a female lawyer that dressed like these women or subject ourselves to a female surgeon that thought that fashion and style were sooooo important.

Of course, if you don't understand what the word "tacky" means, then you don't have a clue as to what I am talking about.

These aren't older women. They are some little girl's idea of dress up dolls.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,327,230 times
Originally Posted by ellemint-I think many of us make excuses that we need all those things you mentioned to look stylish --- but I don't think you do. Yes, maybe some time and effort, but I enjoy fashion so for me it's just pure fun.

Honestly and sincerely, I don't make excuses about my fashion statement (or lack thereof) to the world...it is what it is, and it makes me happy and content to be freshly showered, casually dressed in my blue jeans and boots (or sandals) and free of make-up after decades of wearing it.

IF I have a social obligation I must attend I will make the effort to dress stylishly, coif my hair, and put on perfume, makeup, and appropriate jewelry...and when I get home I am very, very happy to remove my makeup, wash my face and brush out my hair.

To each their own concerning fashion especially when one finds it to be so much fun, why not? Personally, I am uninterested in fashion but prefer instead to concentrate on timeless classics and individual style...when I do need to be out on a social event I dress to suit my personality and sense of style.

Originally Posted by Dport7674

I agree completely about making excuses...for what and to who exactly? I don't need to make excuses for anything or to anyone.

A wonderful life filled with children, a husband, extended family, a warm and happy home and all that this entails leaves little time to be a regular fashion plate. I am so happy to be at the age that I am and satisfied with who I have become and knowing that the only expectations I have to live up to are my own; I set the boundries and I make the rules...for myself and my lifestyle.

Best regards ladies, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 AM

659 posts, read 1,016,271 times
Jamie lee curits made herself look old before her time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty