Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:06 PM

75 posts, read 107,530 times

Advertisements

Where I work in NYC we have lots of very well paid beautiful people. Incredibly handsome and beautiful people who seem to have it all. Many of the women who work in the glamour areas of Public Relations, Marketing, Publications and Human Resources seem to be incredibly attractive. You can tell they were hired and retained mostly because of their beauty, poise, confidence and manner. I get the impression many of them grew up in wealthy families with a silver spoon in their mouth and graduated from Ivy League Universities. They just have a grace about them that indicates they grew up in a wealthy family.

Many of these woman show up to company events with their spouse or significant other and in most cases he is handsome and charming and appear to have it all too. Both of them do their shopping at expensive stores and are just so striking.

These people are about as far from regular folks like me as possible. But you know what? I am envious!

Because this is the beauty board, don't you envy them too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,919,728 times
Most of the "perfect people" extend a lot of effort to look that way.

One of my friends is one of these women you describe. She grew up with a single mom in Europe (mom has never remarried) and her mom owned a retail store. Her in the us people think she is "posh" because of her accent and the fact she went to Oxford. It is all a farce.

On paper her and I are polar opposites (I am African American from California) but we've been friends for over 10 years due similar temperments, personalities, interests and personal style. Stop being intimidated.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,364,773 times
Do not be intimidated, besides beauty for women, can be a lot of: exercise, dieting, cosmetics, skin treatments, tanning salons, expensive hair cuts and coloring, dental work, cosmetic surgery, hair removal, manicures and pedis, and support garments most any woman can look halfway decent when they do all this very expensive stuff.

Sounds cliche, but you have to find the beauty inside, i.e. a good personality and sense of humor. And no, I really cannot say I know someone who is "beautiful"... OK maybe one black woman I used to work retail with years ago, 6 ft tall gorgeous.... could have been a model, not sure why she was not, she got approached plenty about it. Personally: I envy people who are in good physical shape = athletes, because I wish I was in that good of shape!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,661,696 times
I agree with gardener34 --- it takes a lot of maintenance and money to look really good all the time in that perfectly groomed and dressed sort of way. Most people don't have perfect hair, perfect teeth, or perfect bodies without a lot of work. A lot of the 'beautiful people' and celebrities like Angelina Jolie have had plastic surgery and regularly use botox and fillers. There's a bunch of websites showing before and afters of even very young celebs like Kim Kardashian or Lindsay Lohan.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,307,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
Where I work in NYC we have lots of very well paid beautiful people. Incredibly handsome and beautiful people who seem to have it all. Many of the women who work in the glamour areas of Public Relations, Marketing, Publications and Human Resources seem to be incredibly attractive. You can tell they were hired and retained mostly because of their beauty, poise, confidence and manner. I get the impression many of them grew up in wealthy families with a silver spoon in their mouth and graduated from Ivy League Universities. They just have a grace about them that indicates they grew up in a wealthy family.

Many of these woman show up to company events with their spouse or significant other and in most cases he is handsome and charming and appear to have it all too. Both of them do their shopping at expensive stores and are just so striking.

These people are about as far from regular folks like me as possible. But you know what? I am envious!

I don't envy anyone, it is a complete waste of time and energy. I am who I am inside and out and I am not about to change anything because of some trumped up artificial "beauty" standard deemed appropriate by society.....blech, I prefer to remain an individual with my own thoughts, words, actions, and looks.

Would that be the grace one can achieve by attending "charm school" or being a super model or being naturally graceful or even believe it or not your parent(s) and grandparents teaching you as a child even though you grew up not knowing spoons were made of silver?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,116,964 times
No because too much people believe that money, looks.etc means you will be guaranteed happiness. True fulfilment comes from within.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,364,773 times
Yeah, years ago they had charm schools. Went to one lesson (Mom made me), and there are certain ways to sit down and to bear yourself to make yourself look a lot classier, most has to do with having a good posture. Remember walking with the old book on the head lesson?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,289,369 times
I've known a few of the perfect people and trust me when their lives implode, it's ugly. Ugly divorces, strained relationships with children, some physical abuse, a lot of mental abuse.

Now -- could be the people I know, but I'll take my quirky life anytime.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,555,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post

Please do not waste your time being envious of these people. It is ALL an illusion. Trust me. You only see what they want you to see but their lives are no more or less perfect than your own.

I know a number of people who attended posh Swiss bordering schools and come from that world. And even though it seems as if they have everything (money, beautiful homes around the world, expensive clothes, etc) there is a price that many of them paid for being born into wealth. Two of my friends were placed into border schools at a fairly young age and didn't even see their parents more than once or twice a year.

Just be thankful for what you do have. Seriously, do not envy those people.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 PM

75 posts, read 107,530 times
I know their life is not perfect and they just adjust their expectations upward because they have so much. But if an expert would come in and observe someone with tons of charm, incredible looks, great job, poise, confidence and a wonderful career against the average person, these women would win out. But I agree they may not be perfect but they are closer than most.

Last edited by regular folk; 09-18-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty