Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 PM

191 posts, read 163,688 times

Advertisements

I used to think of my older cousin as one of those people. She was pretty, funny, smart, popular, and sociable. She was even nominated to compete in the Miss Alabama Pageant. (She also nominated me, but I chose not to do it). Referencing the Brady Bunch: She was Marcia, and I was Jan. To be fair, I never resented her. She is a really nice person who worked hard to make something of herself. I also had different interests, so it wasn't so much me envying her as much as other people making fun of me for being a science nerd/bookworm. I honestly wouldn't have cared as much if people weren't so obsessed with comparing other people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 11:42 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
If most people simply took the time out of their day to wash up, dress up, clean and style their hair, wear nice shoes, and put on some jewelry, ANYONE can look high class, polished, and poised. The problem with society today is that drabby and comfortable is the order of the day. People wear sacks and rags everywhere. It's common place. What's worse is that tattoos and piercing have come into the equation. I don't bother to even try to look decent to go shopping anymore. There is no point.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:39 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
If most people simply took the time out of their day to wash up, dress up, clean and style their hair, wear nice shoes, and put on some jewelry, ANYONE can look high class, polished, and poised. The problem with society today is that drabby and comfortable is the order of the day. People wear sacks and rags everywhere. It's common place. What's worse is that tattoos and piercing have come into the equation. I don't bother to even try to look decent to go shopping anymore. There is no point.
agreed. The reason I don't put much effort in is because I'm in university and I don't like to stand out in my predominantly male classrooms but when I have free time with friends I like to dress nicely, do hair, etc.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:28 PM

75 posts, read 107,412 times
Yes, if people spend some time on their weight, physical fitness, makeup, clothes and hair they can win half the battle of trying to look good for societies expectations. But most people no matter how hard they try won't look as good as the beautiful people found in magazines and television. Watch enough TV commercials and you start to believe that to really be successful in our sick society you have to look smoking hot!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:04 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I take offense to this post. You know, I shower every day, I am clean. My hair never looks a mess but I never style it. I comb it when I get out of the shower and towel dry it. When I get up in the morning, I brush it. That is my routine for my hair. My body is clean and so is my hair.

I am poised. I don't want to be high classed if it resembles some of the people that are out there thinking they are better than everyone else. I am not that person, you are right.

I wear jeans and they are clean. I wear rather plain shirts which normally accentuate my shape but my breasts are not falling out. My shirts are also clean.

On occasion I may wear earrings but most often I wear no jewelry. My shoes are nice...to me. I doubt you would approve. They are black leather Harley Davidson boots and good Lord I also have three dreaded tattoos.

I look decent every time I leave the house and I get nothing but compliments on my tattoos unless I come upon someone who doesn't approve. Then I get a smug-nosed look and a huff.

I am a mother and I am a daughter. I am a sister and an aunt. I am a good friend to many. I am an educated woman.

Again, I take offense to your post. You are no better than me.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:30 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,380 times
Envy?

Not really. I appreciate looking at well dressed, perfectly done makeup and coiffed hair as much as anybody. Some of the perfectly put together people make me wonder if their IQ is even 3 digits when they open their mouth. Not that I'm saying that there's any sort of correlation (there's not) in intelligence and appearance. Some of these people have also given me flak before for not looking perfectly put together on days when I was feeling truly depressed.

My choice of clothing is usually functional but I like unusual looking pieces. I usually will not go out of the house without putting on a little bit of makeup the same way I won't show up anywhere without brushing my hair. I dress up if it pleases me or if the occasion calls for it. I don't need to dress like I'm going out to downtown Stepford if I'm just picking up some yogurt from the grocery store.

Last edited by Audioque; 09-20-2012 at 01:53 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 01:39 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Oh I forgot. I don't wear make-up either. I hope that is ok for the upper-crest people to see me that way when I walk out the door.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:50 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I take offense to this post. You know, I shower every day, I am clean. My hair never looks a mess but I never style it. I comb it when I get out of the shower and towel dry it. When I get up in the morning, I brush it. That is my routine for my hair. My body is clean and so is my hair.

I am poised. I don't want to be high classed if it resembles some of the people that are out there thinking they are better than everyone else. I am not that person, you are right.

I wear jeans and they are clean. I wear rather plain shirts which normally accentuate my shape but my breasts are not falling out. My shirts are also clean.

On occasion I may wear earrings but most often I wear no jewelry. My shoes are nice...to me. I doubt you would approve. They are black leather Harley Davidson boots and good Lord I also have three dreaded tattoos.

I look decent every time I leave the house and I get nothing but compliments on my tattoos unless I come upon someone who doesn't approve. Then I get a smug-nosed look and a huff.

I am a mother and I am a daughter. I am a sister and an aunt. I am a good friend to many. I am an educated woman.

Again, I take offense to your post. You are no better than me.
I apologize because I really didn't mean it like that.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:21 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Do you know anyone who appears pretty much perfect?

Well well well, (blows air on fingers and rubs them on chest), now that you ask, I do know someone who fits that bill quite nicely.
"Oh shut up JJ! "You shut up Wilma!" "JJ, you could paint numbers on your body and call you a thermometer!"

For anyone who don't know, I was thinking of some sitcom where there would be someone who would actually say this. JJ on the sitcom "Good times". Loved that sitcom by the way.

A little off topic, but we're drinking good tonight. We got some kool-aide! It's off topic, but it pertained to that show for those of you old enough to remember it.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I actually think the poster meant the people that go to the grocery store or out for breakfast in their jammies. There is a segment of population that do this.

It's offensive. There is something wrong with someone who gets out of bed, sticks her feet in slippers, gets in the car and goes shopping. It takes two minutes to put on some clothes and brush your hair.

I can't just get out of bed and get in the car and go. I'd be arrested. Of course, I sleep in the nude.

And regarding the media portrayal of normal? There was a Dove commercial a few years ago that mimicked the Jamie Lee Curtis More Magazine cover a few years back, which showed what she had to go through to look "cover ready". No thank you -- and Jaime Lee Curtis looks just like us, thank you.

Dove - Evolution Commercial (higher quality) - YouTube

Jamie Lee Curtis: True Thighs | Health, Beauty, Fashion, Love, Careers and more - MORE Magazine

Thanks to photoshop, ALL the ads are manipulated to show what they want, but it's nowhere NEAR reality. Look at the fine print in mascara ads -- everyone is wearing fake lashes or lash inserts to advertise what the mascara can do..... which pretty much says to me the mascara can't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty