Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:37 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,427,576 times

Advertisements

When did they go out of fashion?

So ... if they went out of fashion and I wore one does that make me a trend setter or a douchey hipster ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 AM

223 posts, read 300,789 times
I'm with the group who have not worn a watch in the last few years since I retired. I have a cheapy cell phone in my purse, but I rarely look at it. There is usually a clock around somewhere.

I have noticed a lot of women starting to wear those larger watches (the "boyfriend" style), and yes, I have noticed a lot of white watches.

Personally, if I were to wear a watch, it would have to be a small feminine style, because I have a tiny wrist.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:20 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,402,897 times
I didn't know they ever went out of style. A nice watch is a classic part of a man's business attire.

Being a runner and triathlete, I wear an Ironman watch about 99% of the time. I couldn't imagine life without it.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:05 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,719,471 times
Gosh, I love wearing a watch...feels weird when I don't put one on!

And I love the big watches, no little dainty women's watch for me.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:46 PM

4,249 posts, read 6,929,077 times
I wear a watch purely for fashion these days because I still like wearing one and feel naked (especially in dress clothes) without it, but my phone is enough for me these days for pure time.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,402,897 times
A watch is really nice for at home. When I'm at home, I don't carry my cell phone around with me (I leave it in a basket by the door) and I have clocks, but not in every room.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
When did they go out of fashion?

So ... if they went out of fashion and I wore one does that make me a trend setter or a douchey hipster ?
Well with the "youngsters" no one really wears a watch anymore. I only know like 2 people with watches under 40. Ok maybe a couple more, but really not many. Most of my friends don't wear them.

I stopped for a few years, now I am back, but at the moment I need to get my go to one repaired.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I didn't know they ever went out of style. A nice watch is a classic part of a man's business attire.
Who wears business attire to work? I haven't worked at an office where it is require ever! Business casual or less is the rule of the day.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:42 PM

4,249 posts, read 6,929,077 times
I am 29 and I'd say about a little over 50% of my guy friends wear watches casually and probably 75% of them wear watches to work.

As far as business dress, even with business casual I wear nice dress slacks, nice shoes, a nice dress shirt that fits me well etc. It's business casual because people don't wear suits not because people don't dress nicely at all.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I am 29 and I'd say about a little over 50% of my guy friends wear watches casually and probably 75% of them wear watches to work.

As far as business dress, even with business casual I wear nice dress slacks, nice shoes, a nice dress shirt that fits me well etc. It's business casual because people don't wear suits not because people don't dress nicely at all.
I haven't worked in an actual business casual place in about 14 years. The men are dressed up when they stick on a polo and khakis. Regular day is like khakis and a t-shirt + hoodie. Some people dress up a tiny bit more. Khakis and a button down, but a dressier person would look at the men in my office and think it was weekend mode. 90% are in t-shirts and jeans daily including the CEO.

My current company is like full on startup stereotype. But when I had an older CEO, he didn't dress any better. His regular outfit was company t-shirt, khakis and keen sandals. Dress up day swapped that t-shirt for a polo. I would have fallen out of my chair if he came in with dress pants on.

Women are more varied in dress. We have a causal dress code, and my last 3 jobs have followed suit unless we had important meetings. Then business casual ruled. But CA business casual isn't as dressed up as your example. It is khakis, nice shirt and loafers. Actual dress shoes not required. Polo counts as a nice shirt.

Suit = business formal
dress pants + nice shirt = business professional
khakis + nice shirt = business casual

Your outfit is like meeting with east coast people or job interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty