Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 04:23 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,419,412 times

Advertisements

I see timepieces as another way to get me some diamonds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 12:22 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,439,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I see timepieces as another way to get me some diamonds.
That's the kind of reply you would expect from a woman who defines herself by his husband's (I imagine lucrative) importing business.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,419,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
That's the kind of reply you would expect from a woman who defines herself by his husband's (I imagine lucrative) importing business.
My, my!! Aren't we angry over my username and reply.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:05 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,992,944 times
I personally don't think that the wristwatch went out of style, but different styles seem to come in & out of fashion.

I remember last year, the Chronograph watch was in style for women.

Or certain designers are in & out of style.

I know Technomarine was making a come back big on the scene, but when I worked at Nordstrom the women's watches of choice were Michele and Toy Watches.

I had never heard of Michele before I worked at Nordstrom, but in NJ/NYC they are very popular.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,392,647 times
Amongst the high end watch wearers they were never out of fashion.
I wear a 1962 Rolex Air King.

Very understated. Unless you were looking at it up close you would think it's a Timex and that's the way I like it.

I also recently purchased a 1965 Omega Seamaster fully serviced and very accurate.

I spent about 2400.00 for the Rolex back in 2007 and 900.00 for the Omega in March of this year.

If I ever have to sell them I know I will most likely get more than what I paid for them.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,721,970 times
Timepieces seem to convey a certain image nowadays that many young people don't get by carrying a smartphone. A wristwatch used to be a necessary tool, it has now become more of a fashion accessory. Quite a few of my friends, both young and old, wear watches but they wear watches for different reasons. The older guys grew up wearing a watch, have always worn a watch, and will continue to wear a watch until they die. The younger guys likely didn't grow up wearing a watch, use a smartphone to check the time (as well as the date/weather/stock portfolio) , but have recently come to the conclusion that a watch can give a certain "impression" on their (older) bosses and convey some wanted, traditional qualities. I wear high-quality, mechanical watches all the time and I'm 32 years old.

Rolex is the standard to which most, mass-produced watches are measured. I have a Submariner that I wear to work everyday and it's a wonderfully versatile watch that can be dressed up and dressed down. I also have a Rolex Datejust that is used for formal occasions and goes well with a suit or tuxedo. I have two Breitlings that I bought on a whim that I'll probably be selling eventually...I simply don't wear them much. I'm also taking a hard look at buying a Rolex Daytona simply because I find the SS white-face Daytona to be gorgeous albeit $11K is quite a chunk of money.

Watches are unlikely to go out of style anytime soon. I feel that in crafting an image, every man should find a watch they like and wear it. Watches are no longer the tool they once were but are still a great accessory for any wardrobe.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,198,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A wrist watch affords even easier access!

Unless you keep yours in your pocket?
I get that... but almost all people carry around cell phones already (majority of them being smartphones). Sure, if you really require that convenience, you can carry around both. But most people have a second to spare in regards to knowing the time.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:31 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,999,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It just so happens I was in the market for a new more versatile watch. I don't wear mine all the time. Well because all of the ones I had were all wrong. I have a way to delicate Movado. I really need to get rid of it. The thing loses screws left and right so I am afraid to wear it. It is a shame really, as a Movado was my dream watch since like age 12.

I have a silly rubber watch I wear to the gym and with casual outfits. My "dress" watch (since that Movado is pointless) is trendy DKNY watch. It has a really interesting silver strap. And herein lies the problem. When I got the watch, I was the silver jewelry queen. And now I have been adding in a bit more gold. I always felt like a dork having the silver watch and gold jewelry, so my watch stayed on the shelf.

What I wanted something that would be mixed metal and the right fit for casual and dressy ocassions. My coworker has a cool thin Skagen watch, so I thought I'd hit Macy's to find something suitable. This is what I got:

I love the rose gold (which isn't too clear in my quick pic). I like the small size. I have oddly small wrists so the chunky watches overwhelm my arm, but I live them. And I like that the band contrasts with the silver mesh.

I live how the watch is very thin/low profile and doesn't overwhelm my arm!

I don't love the face. I wouldn't mind mother of pearl and no crystals. But this is a good "temporary" solution I think. What do you guys think? I tend to like really clean simple faces, with no numbers or even markings actually.
I think your watch is elegant. Just as you described, can be worn for multiple occasions and with gold or silver. I was looking for a watch like that. Thank you for sharing.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,387,307 times
I always wear my watch and have so many that DH has been told he is not to get any more watches for me. Those are his "go to" Christmas presents.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,709,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Hmmm. My trendy 20 something daughter is wearing my old Omega watches.
Smart girl!! Older quality watches always carry more panache than newer styles.

(plus it's unlikely that any of her friends have a watch "just like" her watch )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty