Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:33 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Currently in recovery for gyno surgery here at home....and hating the effects of the general anesthesia. I'd never had gen anesthesia before, and now that I have, there is NO way I would ever have elective surgery.
Number 1 complaint was the stress that something would happen...ie, that I wouldn't wake up, or wake up incapacitated (yes, it happens)....thinking of my kids living with that totally stressed me out the night before. I would hate for my kids to live with something happening to me because of plastic surgery.
Number 2 complaint is the pain and rotten feeling that comes from surgery. I HAD to have this thing done, no way would I get something just because it will make me look good! If I were disfigured in some way, maybe...but I'm 5'4, 135, 32C, a bit of a loose tummy (3 kids!) but I can wear a 2 piece and look ok, I'm grateful....and satisfied!
This post does point up that the risks shouldn't be taken lightly. A lady from our church died about 6 years ago from a surgical complication from a liposuction procedure on her hips and thighs. As I recall the situation, she developed a blood clot and died 2 days later. She was 44. Her daughter, age 16, and my son were good friends. I know the risk is small but it IS something to consider with an elective procedure. (In the case of the liposuction, her husband thought that the physician tried to take out too much. I don't know.) It is also important to get the most reputable physician possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 PM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,161,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
This post does point up that the risks shouldn't be taken lightly. A lady from our church died about 6 years ago from a surgical complication from a liposuction procedure on her hips and thighs. As I recall the situation, she developed a blood clot and died 2 days later. She was 44. Her daughter, age 16, and my son were good friends. I know the risk is small but it IS something to consider with an elective procedure. (In the case of the liposuction, her husband thought that the physician tried to take out too much. I don't know.) It is also important to get the most reputable physician possible.
I agree !
Plastic surgery is not for everyone.
Having the best surgeon is very important.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,372,030 times
I was always against plastic surgery. Now I feel like a hypocrit that I'm even thinking about it. I just hate my boobs since I lost weight. They're all skin and no filling since nursing 2 kids, the 2nd for a year. I wear a B or C bra, but take it off and really they are just low, small B sized boobs. As I said before I was a big D when I was nursing my 2nd child and ever since they are not the same. They hang, they are so squishy and NO WAY I could go without a bra (with push-up and underwire). It's hard to find a swim suit with underwire that isn't made for a 16 year old. I'm only 31, just recently got re-married and lost some weight. Most of the weight went from my boobs!!!!! They hang even worse now.
I'd like to look good naked. I'd like my hubby to be able to find them in the dark!! Does that make me vain? I hope not.

One more question. How do you go without a bra? Aren't the nipples a problem? Or are they not always at attention after implants?

Old 09-28-2007, 05:28 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
I was always against plastic surgery. Now I feel like a hypocrit that I'm even thinking about it. I just hate my boobs since I lost weight. They're all skin and no filling since nursing 2 kids, the 2nd for a year. I wear a B or C bra, but take it off and really they are just low, small B sized boobs. As I said before I was a big D when I was nursing my 2nd child and ever since they are not the same. They hang, they are so squishy and NO WAY I could go without a bra (with push-up and underwire). It's hard to find a swim suit with underwire that isn't made for a 16 year old. I'm only 31, just recently got re-married and lost some weight. Most of the weight went from my boobs!!!!! They hang even worse now.
I'd like to look good naked. I'd like my hubby to be able to find them in the dark!! Does that make me vain? I hope not.

One more question. How do you go without a bra? Aren't the nipples a problem? Or are they not always at attention after implants?

They just kind of stay there, no bra required I dontrecommend it all the time, they do need support. My nipples are fine, no not always at attention!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:17 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Big Breast Cancer and Breast Health Advocate here: If I might just throw in one vote for implants under the muscle. For future Mammograms and other imaging and palpation of the breast tissue the implants under the muscles is the better choice. This is not to say that implants on the muscle wall won't get a good workup, it is just a bit more difficult.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
It is also important to get the most reputable physician possible.
I am sure that NYC novelist Olivia Goldsmith had a reputable surgeon. Also Susan Malitz: she was getting a facelift by one of NYC's best known plastic surgeons.
Snippet:
Aston has worked on some of the most famous faces in the world—Catherine Deneuve, Anna Wintour, Pamela Harriman, and Tipper Gore are reportedly four of his patients. In addition to being a fixture on Manhattan’s A-list social circuit with a much-photographed socialite wife of his own, Muffie Potter Aston, he is considered one of the field’s top academicians. Aston is one of the only practicing aesthetic surgeons to be a full professor of surgery—at NYU—and he runs the industry’s annual New York–based symposium.
June 2007, Manhattan Teen Dies from Plastic Surgery (http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/archives/007333.html - broken link)
The risks, however small, are always there.
I have never hesitated for other medical procedures such as a tubal ligation, but elective plastic surgery will never be at the top of my list.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 09-28-2007 at 06:40 PM..

Old 09-29-2007, 08:12 AM

You're right. There are risks to every procedure that need to be considered. I think that is what is holding me back the most. I had a "female" surgery and was scared to death I wouldn't wake up and my kids would lose me.

That and my hubby thinks I'm perfect how I am. I respond "whatever! are you blind?" I think he doesn't want other men looking at me! LOL

Old 09-30-2007, 04:32 AM

137 posts, read 818,703 times
This is a sensitive issue for me as well. I had breast lift with implants 8 years ago and at 1st I loved them, still do, but they have to come out. After breast feeding 4 kids they were quite saggy and I could just about tuck them in my pants and couldn't stand the way they looked. So I had them fixed. Great job, great surgeon. Somewhere along the line, not even sure when, they encapsulated.

That's the build up of scar tissue around the implant. You notice they are feeling a little harder than they did. This doesn't happen to everyone, but it can, and it can also happen at anytime and maybe only to one side. And you may say, "okay so they're a little hard, I'll live with it". (That's what I said to my surgeon) Basically, not an option because the capsule (scar tissue) continues to build..... destroying/eating up the healthy tissue, so they either have to be replaced or removed.

I originally decided to have them replaced....this meant taking out the old ones, removing the scar tissue from the healthy tissue, replacing the implant and having another lift, BUT there is a 50% chance of them encapsulating again (once it's happened) and in the end they would have to come out, and then another lift and try to save as much of the healthy tissue so you're left with something.

Like I said, I love my biggish DD boobs and I wouldn't have changed anything I did and I would go through all that again IF I thought I would never HAVE to do it again. But the thing I've learned is that it's like car maintenance, it doesn't last forever, and what I'm hearing more and more these days, is revision, revision, revision.

Anyway sorry this is so long, but I'm also a little bit nervous as my surgery is next Monday the 8th. The implants come out, and I will once again have saggy boobs. I will have to wait 2 months for the tissue to 'mesh' to see what I've got left to work with, in order to get the best results if I decide to go ahead with another lift.

Also, I'm sorry if I put some of you off, but I think it's best to be prepared for all the "what if's". Everyone's different and if someone asked me if they should get it done, I'd still say go for it, but make sure you do your research and are making the best informed decision you can make for you.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:59 AM

137 posts, read 818,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Currently in recovery for gyno surgery here at home....and hating the effects of the general anesthesia. I'd never had gen anesthesia before, and now that I have, there is NO way I would ever have elective surgery.
Number 1 complaint was the stress that something would happen...ie, that I wouldn't wake up, or wake up incapacitated (yes, it happens)....thinking of my kids living with that totally stressed me out the night before. I would hate for my kids to live with something happening to me because of plastic surgery.
Number 2 complaint is the pain and rotten feeling that comes from surgery. I HAD to have this thing done, no way would I get something just because it will make me look good! If I were disfigured in some way, maybe...but I'm 5'4, 135, 32C, a bit of a loose tummy (3 kids!) but I can wear a 2 piece and look ok, I'm grateful....and satisfied!
I hear ya Mimimomx3, that is now my concern as well, (I've written a will and taken out a life insurance policy) I hope you are feeling better and I wish you a speedy recovery. (and the stress, it's the worst and the general too.)Very good points!

Old 09-30-2007, 10:09 AM

Momma4 you made a really great point. Thanks for sharing and good luck to you on Monday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty