Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,744,441 times

Advertisements

Huh?

Maybe if people would ask one another questions more, they'd understand one another better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
The number one mistake men make: Asking why women do what they do.

Accept the behavior, don't question it. Women say one thing and do another.

Examples:

"I like nice guys" but she has a history of dating losers/no gooders. (say's one thing and does another)

"I don't want to be treated like a sex object" but wears clothes the put men in the mindset of wanting sex from her......ONLY.

Don't question it just recognize it and accept it as is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 12:24 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,995,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
No, it's not a crime, but this isn't in the legal forum.

It's OFFENSIVE, which is why it garners offence.

If you don't want a woman to be offended, don't do it!

And your response illustrates PERFECTLY that you know exactly what I'm talking about re. eye-raping vs appreciative glances. You know the difference between the two, and you know when you're doing it. You know eye-raping causes offence, but you obviously don't care because you choose to do it anyway.

After all, it's her fault for dressing that way...
Our clothing is the first impression that the outside world has of us. It is like a uniform. It tells those in the outside world who we are. It is schizoid to dress saying one thing and expect others to react as though it were something else.

There is a difference between attractive and cheap. If you have a perfect body of the slender sort you can 'get away' with a lot more. There are some women who are really chunky and should really know better. But maybe they are looking for a relationship and as a previous poster said, this is all they have to offer.

In my neighborhood there is a high school in which a LOT of young girls wear 'the uniform' which partially consists of skin tight jeans. Most look pretty from the front. I'll bet none has looked, straight on, at their reflection from the back, though. Not so pretty any more. You really should have a perfect body to avoid looking bad in these things.

In that school tight jeans is the culture (as mentioned by a prior poster). I don't think the boys their age who are used to seeing girls this way have the same impression as a guy passing by in a truck.

A normal person dresses appropriately for the public who will be seeing her. Those who are under dressed often just look needy and desperate.

Last edited by goldengrain; 06-10-2012 at 12:32 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 12:27 PM

I agree.

If I walk out of my house wearing a breastplate and a lugian helm, I cannot expect people not to stare. Human beings have eyes, and shocking things call our attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Our clothing is the first impression that the outside world has of us. It is like a uniform. It tells those in the outside world who we are. It is schizoid to dress saying one thing and expect others to react as though it were something else.

There is a difference between attractive and cheap. If you have a perfect body of the slender sort you can 'get away' with a lot more. There are some women who are really chunky and should really know better. But maybe they are looking for a relationship and as a previous poster said, this is all they have to offer.

In my neighborhood there is a high school in which a LOT of young girls wear 'the uniform' which consists of skin tight jeans. Most look pretty from the front. I'll bet none has looked, straight on, at their reflection from the back, though. Not so pretty any more.

In that school it is the culture (mentioned previously). I don't think the boys their age who are used to seeing girls this way have the same impression as a guy passing by in a truck.

A normal person dresses appropriately for the public who will be seeing her. Those who are under dressed often just look needy and desperate.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:58 PM

743 posts, read 2,071,262 times
Quote:
but you obviously don't care because you choose to do it anyway.
It's call freedom of choice, and it's not actually hurting anyone or breaking any law. You don't have to like the choices people make, but they have the right to make them.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:16 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,954,131 times
Will not read all the posts b ut will give my personal past experience.

Met and dated a young girl that said she never wore a Bra (she had small breasts).

My answer to that was......"You make it obvious based upon your clothes you wear".

Old 06-10-2012, 03:44 PM

Again, human beings have eyes to look with.

If someone chooses to look bizarre, cover their face in tattoos, show their ***, wear 50 rings on their lip, wear a breast plate and a horned helmet, paint himself green, go half-undressed, or what have you, and it's not illegal, they are in their perfect right to look that way.

However, they shouldn't pretend they didn't know they'd be stared at.

Eyes are for looking. When I want to go unperceived, I dress as plainly as possible - for that very reason. And yes, when someone chooses to look weird or out of place, you bet I look, whether the weird dresser is a man or a woman.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:22 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,281,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
It isn't only men that stare when a person is half-undressed. Whether it's a man or a woman that's undressed, we humans stare when something is shocking.

1. I was taught that it is rude to stare.
2. If a bit of thigh or cleavage offends, you had better not ever go to the beach. You will never recover.
3. Muslims expect their women to cover up in case their bare flesh causes lust to stir...would you like to bring the burka in? After all the poor men can't be expected to behave properly on their own, can they?
4. Where I live men and women both walk around half naked because it's so gd hot and no one gives a ****.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,281,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Maybe she couldn't afford to buy clothing and was wearing something she grew out of at 12. Maybe. Want to know what my sister tells her kids when they see someone with her body popping out of everywhere? She says, "Kids, see that? It's very sad. She can't afford to buy herself some proper clothing. Maybe we should take up a collection?"

This is offensive beyond belief.

I had a friend as a poor student, who overheard a woman say a very similar thing about herself.

She would've GLADLY taken a donation, as she had no money and was freezing half to death in the only clothing she had, which was clearly not appropriate for the weather.

She is now a lawyer and thankfully using her experience as a "poor person" to help others...and she dresses only in designer clothes now.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:39 PM

The point is that if something is adequate dress to the environment, it will not cause stares because people are dressed in that manner. For example, at a beach, you'll be hard pressed to find someone in a business suit or prom gown.

Eyes are for seeing. Reactions of shock are natural to all sentient beings.

This is not Saudi Arabia, and we're not expecting anyone to wear a burka.

Where do you live?

Quote:
1. I was taught that it is rude to stare.
2. If a bit of thigh or cleavage offends, you had better not ever go to the beach. You will never recover.
3. Muslims expect their women to cover up in case their bare flesh causes lust to stir...would you like to bring the burka in? After all the poor men can't be expected to behave properly on their own, can they?
4. Where I live men and women both walk around half naked because it's so gd hot and no one gives a ****.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:58 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,790,560 times
How did this go from talking about a woman in a short skirt to "Well if her face is covered in tattoos and she's dressed like a gladiator then OF COURSE I'm going to stare"?

There are ostentatious outfits that might cause double takes (though it is still rude to stare) but that's not what was described in the OP. He said the woman was wearing a short skirt. That's it, not short skirt with a bra top, 7 inch platform shoes and a tattoo across her face that says "dumb blonde". By all accounts, this was just a normal woman showing some leg. Perhaps in an outfit such as this.

And how does she react to the man next to her looking at her like a sex object? Does she jump up, yell "pervert!", and slap him across the face? No. She just alerts him to how rude he's being. How unreasonable of her.

What I find digusting about the OP is that he thinks she should have accepted that man's leers as a compliment. Because if she didn't want to be treated like a sex doll, she should have worn a skirt to her ankles. He thinks she deserved unsolicited male advances, that she was asking for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty