Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:41 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,938 times

Advertisements

It's all about social norms of dress that you're exposed to. "Getting attention" does not exist in a vacuum, but exists when the type of dress (or lack of it!) of the person sticking out deviates from the type of dress expected for the place (whether it be the workplace, society, culture as a whole etc.).

People who live in places where women breastfeed in public all the time, or where women as well as men can go bare-chested, don't sexualize breasts because they aren't taught growing up, subconsciously or otherwise that breasts are particularly "sexy", tempting or forbidden, as opposed to any other body part.

That's the logic too behind why some of those men in the Middle East insist that unveiled women are just "asking for it". In the Victorian times or in conservative countries today, baring an ankle or shoulder is seen as too revealing. They've already been socialized with the idea that the hair or the ankle or whatnot should be covered at all time, outside of sexual contexts, so if they saw those uncovered bits, they go all crazy.

I must say though, the attitude as expressed in the OP is neither flattering for men as well as for women -- it makes all men look like shallow, simple-minded buffoons that start foaming at the mouth, and who are brought to their knees by any hint of skin on a lady. It exists no doubt, and there are both men and women who really do act/think like that (I'm not going to pretend that some stereotypes aren't true) but the attitude does no favour to either, taken to society as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 03:36 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
I walk into my corner store and if I see a beautiful woman at the counter- I rarely look at what they are wearing- I look at the face- and do take a sneak peak at the body as they leave...some times I will attempt to be charming- If she is looking at the candy display - I suggest she buy some of those extremely sour ones...The woman will ask why and I will say " Your expression is of such sweetness that you may need one of those sour treats to tone it down?

The type of woman that want men to look at their bodies because of their clothing - usually are not the type that attract gentlemen...They get what they deserve and what they are looking for- low end men..so why are they complaining when the first impression is about sex?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:41 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,653,420 times
Just say you were just admiring how attractive they were until they started speaking.....

"i kid, I kid". They don't need to be treated like meat but some of them are asking for it, not trying to be a creepy guy or anything. But I work in a very male dominate place, and some women dress near the point of unprofessional. They are looking for attention.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-09-2012, 03:47 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
I know someone who dresses with too tight clothes and the boobs are out there. She has 4 children and wonders why she can't meet a decent man who makes a lot of money, accepts that she has 4 children and will be ok with her going to the dance club with her friends on her own?

Old 06-09-2012, 04:02 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
The most attractive woman that I saw lately was this tall woman- I recognized her from years ago- she was a wardrobe designer for the film industry..She had experience and knew what great clothes were- most people don't - Different classes dress differently.. This woman dressed with real style - great taste- and all I could say is even though she is older...she was more sexy - more attractive than some chump from the projects with an exposed tramp stamp above her butt- who wears tight pink track pants with her boobs stuck up in your face- A woman must state in her dress that she has more to offer than **** and ass.

Again- if you did not have a classy mother who dressed well- the daughter will also dress poorly- It is a class issue. Also more importantly if a woman carries herself with class and dignity- it does not matter how she dresses- No man will dare fire off an inappropriate comment her way...Men give you the once over and figure out what class you belong to- If you present as some dumb boobed peasant girl you will be treated that way...It's not really about revealing clothing...it's about who you are- CARRY YOURSELF LIKE A LADY AND YOU WILL BE RESPECTED AND TREATED AS SUCH... sounds old fashioned? So what.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:04 PM

102,226 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I used to have a young woman in my office who was pretty, blond, had a great body, and would wear mini-skirts that fell about an inch below the cheeks of her ass.
Who dresses like that for the office?! What part of the country was this in, what era? I've never seen American women dress like that at all, anywhere, let alone at the office. Now for young Russian women, that type of skirt is a uniform.

There is such a thing as taste. If a woman wants to attract the attention of an intelligent, classy guy, she dresses stylishly but tastefully. That should be obvious, but I guess it isn't.

Oleg is definitely on the right track!

Old 06-09-2012, 04:20 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,926 times
Women dress for appreciative glances, not an eye-raping. There is a massive difference.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:24 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
I'm going along with the majority here. Nobody's going to convince me that anyone who pulls on revealing clothes isn't doing it for the attention. Sure, she could be a narcissist dressing for her own viewing pleasure, and that's her right. But don't expect men to suddenly go blind in the presence of someone who's half-naked.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:25 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,608,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Also more importantly if a woman carries herself with class and dignity- it does not matter how she dresses- No man will dare fire off an inappropriate comment her way..
Sorry, but that's just not true. They may not say it with another man around, but some men will say inappropriate things if they think they can get away with it, it doesn't matter how classy the outfit is or how the woman carries herself. Some men are really gross.

And looking is not the same as staring which is not the same as leering. I have seen them all and been subjected to them all at different points, and I have never been a trashy dresser by American/Euro standards.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:44 PM

743 posts, read 2,069,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
People who live in places where women breastfeed in public all the time, or where women as well as men can go bare-chested, don't sexualize breasts because they aren't taught growing up, subconsciously or otherwise that breasts are particularly "sexy", tempting or forbidden, as opposed to any other body part.
Part of the problem is the "separate but equal" dress-code standards. Women are allowed to dress sleeveless, but men are not. Women can wear blouses, tank tops, short skirts, plunging necklines, etc. to work. But men are not allowed to wear such limited amount of clothing. Several employers ago, I was criticized for wearing T-shirt and jeans to work, despite being appropriately covered. But not a single female employee was ever reported for wearing skimpy outfits like tank tops and short skirts.

If the dress code standards is absolutely equal for both men and women, maybe none of this would be an issue. But women are going to wear whatever they want because it's an entitlement to them. Looking good/sexy/total knockout has become critical to their identity. Otherwise, they don't see themselves as real women. That's my guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Women dress for appreciative glances, not an eye-raping. There is a massive difference.
Last time I checked, eye-raping is not a crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Also more importantly if a woman carries herself with class and dignity- it does not matter how she dresses- No man will dare fire off an inappropriate comment her way.
In my office, there's a CFO, a Project Admin Manager and a Project Development Manager that like to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights, if you get my drift. In terms of rank, experience and seniority, they are higher than me in the ladder. As tempting as the ideas are, I wouldn't try anything with them because it can get me fired!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty