Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:39 AM

24,151 posts, read 32,568,370 times

Advertisements

However, I can't understand why people will dress up for a job interview, work, a date, to go out to dinner and go to church wearing sweats, shorts, ragy tee shirts, flip flops, etc.

It's not to impress other people or God - but how you dress indicates how important an event is for you.
If you go to church in pajama pants, flip flops and a tank top, what does that say? And yes I have see this get up.

I don't understand it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:04 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,995,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixy View Post
I'm not the type of girl that would actually wear mini skirts and shorts to church at all, but i do wear heels and very highs one at that. but you guys claim to be Christians, yet you judge others on the way they dress, it shouldn't matter what they wear, be happy they are attending church, and if what they wearing is comfortable for them, then so what?... The Lord really doesn't care how you dress to come to church. if you as a guy can't keep your head out of the gutter when seeing a women dressed nicely, then that's your problem, there is no dress code for church. When you go to church, it is to Praise the Lord and not to make sure that others are happy with the way you dressed.
I think most guys, when seeing a woman who is dressing to attract men, are attracted.

Some women see church meetings as an opportunity to meet a nice fellow and they dress with that in mind.

Some go, thinking it will help to patch up a failing marriage.

Maybe some hooker is there at the invitation of the pastor, like Christ, inviting all sorts of people to God.

The thing is, that the door should be open to all. We should all recognize our common spirituality, our common roots and realize that 'there, but for the grace of God, go I'.

If we come out of a sermon with the same prejudices that we went in with, something did not happen that should have happened.

The fact is, that nice guy in a suit may have just decided to lay off a number of older workers to maximize profits in his business, while that woman in skimpy clothing may have had everything against her in life and think the only way to success for her is on some guy's coat tails. Who damages society more? Yes, we should be helping one another to a better life, not to be so cutthroat, not to use other people.

The attire may say something about the mind, but it usually reflects human frailty and not evil intent.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 AM

22,639 posts, read 47,797,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
However, I can't understand why people will dress up for a job interview, work, a date, to go out to dinner and go to church wearing sweats, shorts, ragy tee shirts, flip flops, etc.
It's simple.
People are dressing up for that interview, date, etc - for others. To impress them, build self-esteem, etc...
God is totally accepting of us, no matter how we look. We do not need to impress him.

And we are not to judge.
For all we know, they have no "church" clothes.....

Old 10-07-2012, 04:41 PM

50,412 posts, read 64,161,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I've recently gone back to church and have noticed a trend that is pretty surprising to me. I have seen MANY women go to church dressed in stiletto heels and short skirts and I'm quite shocked. These aren't terribly young women either. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE seeing women in short skirts and high heels, but my personal belief is one that if you do go to a religious institution/event, you should go dressed somewhat conservatively. I'm not saying cover yourselves up completely, but, perhaps ditch the platform stripper heels for a 2 inch heel?

I hate to sound old fashioned and I am bit of a hypocrite because I think stiletto heels are very sexy, but can't you just put them away for an hour especially in church? On the flip side, I see guys wearing flip-flops. I get the "God doesn't care about what I wear" argument, but seriously, is wearing a nice pair of jeans and a polo shirt too much? Then again, Jesus did wear sandals

Anyone else agree/disagree?
My opinion is that there is appropriate clothing for certain occasions. The ceremonies of life require a certain decorum. I don't care if you live your life in jeans, cutoffs and tank tops. If I'm holding a wedding, or a funeral, I will be insulted if you come looking like you just jumped off the lawn mower.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:54 PM

50,412 posts, read 64,161,814 times
I sort of blame the Catholics for this mindset. I was raised in the stuffy Protestant church, and we were expected to wear appropriate clothing. Then the Catholics decided that it was better that people showed upat all than if they showed up dressed nicely. I think the intended message was that if you didn't have anything to wear, then they wanted you to come anyway. This is good, but the message received was I can wear my bathing suit under a wrap and then I won't waste any time getting to the beach.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,497,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
...the Catholics decided that it was better that people showed upat all than if they showed up dressed nicely...

Horrors! What a thought!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM

I think Jesus would have accepted people just as they are.

A church is somewhere to go to share your Christian fellowship, your love of Christ.
It is not a place in which outside appearances are to count.
You are to feed the soul.

All the other places life takes you are man's institutions, where who you are, how you speak, comport yourself, dress, where you live, who your spouse is, the prestige of your family, your position at work - all contribute to define you.

You can have all these things and remain dark on the inside.

It is only at church that we are asked to see beyond the superficial things of life, the things that will fade away when we die.

We are asked to see each other as we truly are, and not as the world sees us.

I think, if you are going to a Christian church, this is what should be taught, as I believe this is what Christ taught.

This is the ideal to strive for. We may fall short, but we should realize what is asked of us in the bible.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:26 PM

24,151 posts, read 32,568,370 times
But it it too much to like ...not wear cut offs, tank tops, pajamas, dirty messy clothes? I mean I just don't get it.

I went to Sunday school in a puffy dress with an embroidered bodice and maryjanes. I have only dressed my daughter this way on Easter or other holidays.

No one needs to go crazy. But why look like you just rolled out of bed. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't get it.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
But it it too much to like ...not wear cut offs, tank tops, pajamas, dirty messy clothes? I mean I just don't get it.

I went to Sunday school in a puffy dress with an embroidered bodice and maryjanes. I have only dressed my daughter this way on Easter or other holidays.

No one needs to go crazy. But why look like you just rolled out of bed. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't get it.
I agree because I grew up the same way, but these non conformists probably have problems way beyond their appearance. The Church is to accept all of them, especially those most in need.

I am not Christian, but I do agree with a lot of the precepts of Christ. I am not a Christian because I am not sure that Christ existed and because I think it lays guilt trips on people which make them feel that they need to keep coming back to church to get rid of that guilt. It also is a religion that has often been used for political movements a lot, good and bad, and I don't think that should be done with a religion at all, ever.

There are people, poor people, who just take advantage of churches and government agencies. Their livelihood is to avoid being responsible and to mooch off of others. What does this open door church policy do with them? THey just prey on the pity of those around them.

I have no problem, if I think this is happening, to slam the door in their faces, but if you are Christian you just cannot do that. You are told to take ALL comers.

You are perfectly entitled to pick and choose which portions of the bible you will follow. I think all Christians do this, especially the fools who are anti-gay through some esoteric verses of the bible and yet wear cotton poly blends, etc.

When it comes down to it, we will have our little life retrospective when we die and we are only responsible for our own attitudes and deeds, regardless of what our church or neighbors think. We can only strive to be the best that we can be and when we fall off the horse, just climb back on.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:52 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,440,278 times
There's a happy medium. Personally I dont think it's necessary to dress to the 9's to go to church but that said, im not a dress/skirt person and am more comfortable in slacks (not necessarily jeans) - I see no harm in that - in fact a lot of women wear pant suits and look fine - if ppl judge on the type of clothes one wears, so be it - am a lot more comfortable w/ down-to-earth people i can relate to who have a positive good attitude than someone who doesn't and feels they have to make a show or good impression once a week (not saying anyone here does that, Im just generally stating my opinion). If I feel like dressing up, fine - if not, that s/b fine too (and no, i wouldnt wear a tshirt, flipflops etc) - I would hope ppl wouldnt point fingers, gossip and get the wrong impression just like I would hope they wouldnt get the wrong impression if one drove an old beat-up car - that's not what it's about - it's what's in one's heart that counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty